Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm the WMF headquarters again!
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Shalom
Remember when the photo of the WMF headquarters got deleted by "office action" because the office didn't want people to know where it was, or some silly reason? Well, the Signpost reports that WMF is moving its headquarters to a new location, and has spelled out that location for all and sundry.

New WMF office

Foundation staff have reported that the Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco will be moving to a new location on New Montgomery Street in the South of Market neighborhood in San Francisco. The current office is not large enough for the size of the staff, many of whom have been hired since the Foundation moved to San Francisco; according to Daniel Phelps, "we've been over capacity for several months now." The new office, which will be located at 149 New Montgomery Street, will be large enough for the entire staff (including the usability team, which is now in a separate office) and will also have room for community meeting space. There is still some time on the lease at the current office; plans are to sublease this space by the end of November.

I wonder how long it will take the office folks to censor the information from article space this time around. smile.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Shalom @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 12:16pm) *

Remember when the photo of the WMF headquarters got deleted by "office action" because the office didn't want people to know where it was, or some silly reason? Well, the Signpost reports that WMF is moving its headquarters to a new location, and has spelled out that location for all and sundry.

New WMF office

Foundation staff have reported that the Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco will be moving to a new location on New Montgomery Street in the South of Market neighborhood in San Francisco. The current office is not large enough for the size of the staff, many of whom have been hired since the Foundation moved to San Francisco; according to Daniel Phelps, "we've been over capacity for several months now." The new office, which will be located at 149 New Montgomery Street, will be large enough for the entire staff (including the usability team, which is now in a separate office) and will also have room for community meeting space. There is still some time on the lease at the current office; plans are to sublease this space by the end of November.

I wonder how long it will take the office folks to censor the information from article space this time around. smile.gif

There they are at New Montgomery and Natoma Streets. Google maps has this building at street level.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q...356.38,,0,5
MZMcBride
This mailing list post on foundation-l explains some of the backstory regarding the Wikimedia Foundation's addresses.
Random832
So who owns the new office space? Surely not Wikia, right?
Alison
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 3:29pm) *

This mailing list post on foundation-l explains some of the backstory regarding the Wikimedia Foundation's addresses.

I happen to know that certain well-known stalkery freaks (no names!) have made personal appearances at the WMF offices, so I guess while it's easy to find out where they are, they just don't want to make it too easy mellow.gif
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Shalom @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 7:16pm) *

New WMF office

I think a picture helps those file servers who want to bring paper to the leaders of wiki.
Full-Width Image

Full-Width Image

Mod note: Resized images. -The Joy
Cla68
QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 12:13am) *

I happen to know that certain well-known stalkery freaks (no names!) have made personal appearances at the WMF offices, so I guess while it's easy to find out where they are, they just don't want to make it too easy mellow.gif

If the WMF is having trouble with weirdos turning up at their office to chat, then it would behoove them to relocate to an office building that requires a key card for access and a security guard to ensure that everyone displays a building pass before getting on the elevator. I notice that the office is still located in a rather expensive section of SF, near the baseball stadium and the downtown area. Wouldn't they save money be being located a little further out, such as in Fresno?
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 12:33am) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 12:13am) *

If the WMF is having trouble with weirdos turning up at their office to chat, then it would behoove them to relocate to an office building that requires a key card for access and a security guard to ensure that everyone displays a building pass before getting on the elevator. I notice that the office is still located in a rather expensive section of SF, near the baseball stadium and the downtown area. Wouldn't they save money be being located a little further out, such as in Fresno?

Or is it trouble with process servers turning up to drop paper???

Alison
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 5:33pm) *

I notice that the office is still located in a rather expensive section of SF, near the baseball stadium and the downtown area. Wouldn't they save money be being located a little further out, such as in Fresno?

Fresno??? LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh man smile.gif *cries*
dtobias
As they seem to have admitted themselves, concealing the office location was a futile gesture that ran up against their own Information Wants To Be Free ideology (like the BADSITES policy attempting to cover up the existence of sites like WR).
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Alison @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 5:41pm) *

I notice that the office is still located in a rather expensive section of SF, near the baseball stadium and the downtown area. Wouldn't they save money be being located a little further out, such as in Fresno?

Fresno??? LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh man smile.gif *cries*

I was going to suggest Gilroy, or Weedpatch. I mean, what is it they're trying to be near, where they are? Alcatraz? The Castro? The Ben and Jerry's on Haight and Ashbury? Soma is so late 90's dotcom, but I guess it's never too late to have a happy nerdly dream.

It's not like they plan to use WMF headquarters as point office to host Wikimania at the Moscone Center every other year, or every third year. So what's up? So what's up, other than they all feel entitled to live in a cool city? As defined by the impossible parking, and the fact that you're forced to buy from bodegas unless you know about that one COSTCO.... ermm.gif

Would you do it in the HQ?
When the fog is like an igloo...
Say, would you do it in a Prius
Would you do it where they'll see us?
Would you do it if we park it?
Would you do it down on Market?
Tell me, tell me, lady friend
If I dare to let this city end...
Achromatic

Wouldn't they save money be being located a little further out, such as in Fresno?

Hahaha. I'm fairly sure Jimbo's priority list does not include "be frugal". This is the $600 wine bottle man, after all.

And Fresno? "So ghetto". Jimbo would still like to think WP is all set for Web 3.0 (whatever the hell that is), and is hobnobbing it.
wjhonson
San Francisco is cool. Gilroy is not.

You know for all the time those office dwellers get to enjoy the great benefits in living in the city by the bay. Why does WF even need physical space at all. Is that the assumption that everyone is lazy unless being watched ?
wjhonson
QUOTE(wjhonson @ Tue 22nd September 2009, 9:33pm) *

San Francisco is cool. Gilroy is not.

You know for all the time those office dwellers get to enjoy the great benefits in living in the city by the bay. Why does WF even need physical space at all. Is that the assumption that everyone is lazy unless being watched ?

Speaking of which... Wikia is hiring
Wikia is Hiring

If you want to work in a brightly colored Soma... whatever they said
Just the thought of "brightly colored" makes me feel tired.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(wjhonson @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 5:15am) *
Wikia is Hiring

Wikia is awesome! now if I could only find the edit button among all those advertisements.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 6:26am) *

QUOTE(wjhonson @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 5:15am) *
Wikia is Hiring

Wikia is awesome! now if I could only find the edit button among all those advertisements.

Health and Safety would have a field day with that trampoline if that was in the UK.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Achromatic @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 12:21am) *

And Fresno? "So ghetto". Jimbo would still like to think WP is all set for Web 3.0 (whatever the hell that is), and is hobnobbing it.

If Fresno is "ghetto," then I guess Jimbo would probably equate Oakland with Guinea-Bissau -- although he could get the same amount of office space there at a fraction of the cost.

But this raises a fun concern: what percentage of the WMF budget is going into rent? ermm.gif
Kelly Martin
The truly sad thing is that Wikipedia is very much behind the curve in terms of web technologies (and technology in general). If they don't get a quantum jump soon, they're going to fall out entirely. But the Foundation spends more energy finding opportunities for Jimmy to hobnob with the stars of last year than it does in finding somebody who will be the star of next year -- which is where it's really at.
Random832
This page has a horizontal scroll bar for me. Can someone (either VoC himself or a mod) edit the post to use the imgx tag instead of img?

Thank you.
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 4:49am) *

Health and Safety would have a field day with that trampoline if that was in the UK.

Yeah, but imagine all the after-hours trampoline sex!

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 8:22am) *

But this raises a fun concern: what percentage of the WMF budget is going into rent? ermm.gif

I would say in the past, it's been about 3%, now moving up to 4% or 5%.

Greg
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 5:08pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 4:49am) *

Yeah, but imagine all the after-hours trampoline sex!

Hmm, looking at the picture again, I am thinking, "Is that a gun in his pocket or..."

Anyway, at least that explains what they do all day, as I haven't seen much evidence of any work going on (except copious copying of wiki's to take to other platforms).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.