Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shankbone strongarms the competition
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Shankbone
carbuncle
Shankbone once again defends his turf by deleting images that aren't his, but this time he may have been a little to obvious about it. he seems to have removed all (36) links from a website in New York City that had, well, images of New York City. When the site tried to ask about this, their posts were removed for outing Shankbone. Some of them seem to have been oversighted or revision hidden. I'm not sure what they could possibly have included there that would merit oversight.

The discussion is here on Wikipedia:Editor assistance/Requests.

Updated: It looks like I misread the discussion at first and it was external links, not actual images. My apology to Mr Shankbone. Some rights reserved.
dogbiscuit
Same old. Newbie gets harassed and abused. Point out, admittedly cynically what is going on, get yourself accused of harassment. The newsflash seems to be that a site containing Google Ads disqualifies it from being a useful source for Wikipedia.
A Horse With No Name
Mr. Miller strikes again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm..._NPA_and_Harass

I have never seen an amateur journalist behave in such an inane manner. hrmph.gif
EricBarbour
Perhaps this thread could use a more clearly-enunciated comment.

Mr. Shankbone, YOU ARE AN INCOMPETENT AND POOR EXCUSE FOR A JOURNALIST. Now, since I have nothing to do with that Nycfoto98 business, would you like to accuse ME of "textbook harassment and personal attacks"?

How's dat?
Robert Roberts
The discussion seems to suggest that websites that *sometimes* charge for their products and/or have ads are automatically disqualified as ELs - this is a new one on me... you'd have to removed about 80% of the links on wikipedia.
thekohser
Carbuncle is the best:

You are unlikely to find any satisfaction here. When it comes to links added to numerous articles, editors tend to be somewhat cynical. Many people try to use Wikipedia as a promotional platform. Here's my suggestions for a way forward: upload some of your images to Wikipedia. Make sure to call your files something like "Someone Famous by NYCFOTO.jpg" and ask for attribution. Add these images to as many articles as you can. Periodically check the articles - if anyone has added a new image, just remove it and re-add your own. If they complain, wait a week and add yours anyway (you can remove the other one later). Offer to take pictures for editors. Make friends with admins. After a couple of years you'll be practically untouchable and can pretty much get away with anything on Wikipedia. Delicious carbuncle (talk) 20:39, 14 October 2009 (UTC)

I've struck part of my comment above because an editor felt that I was referring specifically to them. I wasn't -- I was just listing some of the tactics that I have seen used by many self-promoters on Wikipedia -- but I realise that others may take my facetious suggestion seriously. Sorry. Delicious carbuncle (talk) 20:58, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
carbuncle
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 15th October 2009, 5:06pm) *

Carbuncle is the best:

I have to say that Shankbone is better. They're the most hardcore white teenage suburban rappers ever to throw down. They definitely need to be on WP. I may have to become their publicyst.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 15th October 2009, 11:38am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 15th October 2009, 5:06pm) *

Carbuncle is the best:

I have to say that Shankbone is better. They're the most hardcore white teenage suburban rappers ever to throw down. They definitely need to be on WP. I may have to become their publicyst.

I can imagine your business card:

Lance Carbuncle
Publicyst
"I can bring any crock to a boil"
Moulton
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 15th October 2009, 5:13pm) *
"I can bring any crock to a boil."

Starting from cold water?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 15th October 2009, 2:29pm) *

Have to, or they crack. rolleyes.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 15th October 2009, 6:08pm) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 15th October 2009, 2:29pm) *
Have to, or they crack. rolleyes.gif

Crikey! Don't want no cracked crocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.