Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the record
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Raul654
Eva Destruction
Since nobody else seems to have noticed. As seemingly the only person in the history who hasn't ever had any problem with Raul (on the rare occasions I've had any dealings with him, he's been perfectly polite and helpful) I have no opinion on the merits of this.
thekohser
Can't see this (or any) diff on a BlackBerry. Could you summarize?

Side note: anybody notice how useless many of Wikipedia's features are on mobile browsers?

Greg
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 21st October 2009, 6:19pm) *

Can't see this (or any) diff on a BlackBerry. Could you summarize?

Side note: anybody notice how useless many of Wikipedia's features are on mobile browsers?

Greg

From time to time, concerns have been raised that Raul654 has misused his checkuser tools and has made drastically excessive rangeblocks, in the topic area of global warning. The Audit Subcommittee has conducted a thorough review of Raul654's use of the tools and has concluded that these concerns were justified.

In a recent e-mail to the Arbitration Committee, Raul654 has acknowledged that he may have overreacted and overused his tools, and noted that since the Audit Subcommittee investigation began he has limited his use of tools in this area. Raul654 has expressed a willingness to address the issues and, in particular, (i) to resign his access to the checkuser and oversight tools (the latter on grounds of inactivity), and the associated mailing lists; and (ii) to refrain from taking any administrator actions in connection with the topic area of global warming, broadly defined, or in connection with user conduct relating to that topic area.

Based on the report of the Audit Subcommittee, the evidence before it, and the response from Raul654, the Arbitration Committee accepts (i) Raul654's resignation as a checkuser and oversighter, effective immediately; and (ii) Raul654's proposed restriction on his future use of administrative tools in the topic area of global warning, as outlined above, which becomes binding, also effective immediately.

The Arbitration Committee thanks the members of the Audit Subcommittee for their conscientious and detailed report, and their recommendations on this matter.

For the Arbitration Committee, Roger Davies talk 15:35, 21 October 2009 (UTC)

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 21st October 2009, 6:19pm) *

In sort of defense of the WMF in this case, that's as much RIM's fault as Wikipedia's. The MediaWiki software was written in 2001 - you can't really blame Brion for not anticipating compatibility issues with a product that hadn't been invented yet.
LaraLove
Good on him for acknowledging it and resigning.

It probably didn't go down quite like they presented it, though. It was probably more of "We have reviewed your actions, we've found some serious issues, rather than go through drama, would you resign these positions and agree not to use your admin tools in this area?" as opposed to him just offering shit up.

That's just an assumption on my part, of course.
CharlotteWebb
Appropriate sanctions if the accusations are true (the infamous Smith and Jones parable is allegedly about him), though I don't think Raul should have been taking administrator actions related to global warming in the first place, being as he is one of the primary editors of the main article (though he can't hold a veggie-oil candle to Dr. Connolley). [1]

Dunno, I've never attempted to use one (for WP or any other site).

If you can describe the symptoms, I'm sure somebody can figure out how to fix it. Whether WP will be willing to adopt the fixed version is anybody's guess. hrmph.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 21st October 2009, 11:06am) *

Appropriate sanctions if the accusations are true (the infamous Smith and Jones parable is allegedly about him), though I don't think Raul should have been taking administrator actions related to global warming in the first place, being as he is one of the primary editors of the main article (though he can't hold a veggie-oil candle to Dr. Connolley). [1]

Dunno, I've never attempted to use one (for WP or any other site).

If you can describe the symptoms, I'm sure somebody can figure out how to fix it. Whether WP will be willing to adopt the fixed version is anybody's guess. hrmph.gif

Seems to work fine on a G3 iPhone.

If you're standing right underneath an AT&T cell phone tower. dry.gif
Kelly Martin
What, he just has to resign checkuser and oversight? No, not acceptable. He should be run out of town on a rail, the way I was run out o n a rail for allegedly misusing checkuser on SlimVirgin. Even though I never did.

What a crock. He should, at the very least, be desysoped as well.
anthony

In a recent e-mail to the Arbitration Committee, Raul654 has acknowledged that he may have overreacted and overused his tools, and noted that since the Audit Subcommittee investigation began he has limited his use of tools in this area. Raul654 has expressed a willingness to address the issues and, in particular, (i) to resign his access to the checkuser and oversight tools (the latter on grounds of inactivity), and the associated mailing lists; and (ii) to refrain from taking any administrator actions....

If only the message had stopped there...
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 21st October 2009, 4:47pm) *
What, he just has to resign checkuser and oversight? No, not acceptable. He should be run out of town on a rail, the way I was run out o n a rail for allegedly misusing checkuser on SlimVirgin. Even though I never did.

Hah. Dollar sez he'll talk his way back in to CU status within a few months. He's been too popular with the c-word freaks for too long.
Malleus
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 2:17am) *

Hah. Dollar sez he'll talk his way back in to CU status within a few months. He's been too popular with the c-word freaks for too long.

I'll see your dollar, which will probably be worth spit against the Euro at the current rate of decline in confidence in the US economy in a few months anyway.
MBisanz
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 2:17am) *

You do realize arbcom changed the criteria for re-righting people earlier this year so that ex-arbs can't automatically request it back? The only way he could get it back is to be elected to arbcom, AUSC, or in the open CU vote.
Lar
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 21st October 2009, 9:26pm) *

You do realize arbcom changed the criteria for re-righting people earlier this year so that ex-arbs can't automatically request it back? The only way he could get it back is to be elected to arbcom, AUSC, or in the open CU vote.

What arbcom giveth, arbcom can taketh away (and vice versa) so a new arbcom could reverse that position. Not likely given the howling that would ensue but it's worth noting.
LaraLove
I lose my adminship because I'm not trusted due to a kept secret. Again we see that one can abuse their positions, violating the trust of the community, in a way that affects real people and the encyclopedia in a negative way, and that's okay.

I used to get so annoyed at those who seemed to compare their situation to every other that came across this board, but I surely see the appeal now. Haha.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 2:10pm) *

I lose my adminship because I'm not trusted due to a kept secret. Again we see that one can abuse their positions, violating the trust of the community, in a way that affects real people and the encyclopedia in a negative way, and that's okay.

I used to get so annoyed at those who seemed to compare their situation to every other that came across this board, but I surely see the appeal now. Haha.

But there's not much you can do with it on WP (as opposed to WR) due to the semi-official WP policy of WP:OTHERINJUSTICESEXIT. Which keeps them from having to worry about equal protection of the policies over there. As we've commented, not only is there no 14th ammendment in WP's (unwritten) constitution and (non-existent) Bill of Rights, but they've taken many a specific step to make sure the idea cannot be used in any argument.

hrmph.gif angry.gif mad.gif

One day, some incident is going to rip through WP like an asteroid, and everybody that has anything to do with the project, is going to be completely and totally surprised at the depth of the anger unleashed. And what few true friends they actually have.

"What'd we do to deserve all THIS??" they'll ask. biggrin.gif
LaraLove
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 5:18pm) *

One day, some incident is going to rip through WP like an asteroid, and everybody that has anything to do with the project, is going to be completely and totally surprised at the depth of the anger unleashed. And what few true friends they actually have.

"What'd we do to deserve all THIS??" they'll ask. biggrin.gif

I think you're right.
Guido den Broeder
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 11:10pm) *

Given that the purpose of Wikipedia is to create drama, that makes perfect sense. smile.gif

Pfah. Try getting permabanned over spelling first!

Moulton
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 22nd October 2009, 5:18pm) *
One day, some incident is going to rip through WP like an asteroid, and everybody that has anything to do with the project, is going to be completely and totally surprised at the depth of the anger unleashed.

Given that WP doesn't embrace the concept or practice of due process, the haphazard and frequent episodes of injustice (up to and including the hoary and recurring Scapegoat Drama) are a predictable source of the reactive anger that Milton anticipates.

Eventually that cumulative anger will boil over in a dramatic and cataclysmic paroxysm that will make the front pages of the mainstream press.

And Wikipedia will go up in smoke.
everyking
One of the best indicators of the sorry state of Wikipedia's administration over the years has been the concentration of authority into the hands of someone so malicious as Raul. I'm happy to see that he has lost a little bit of that authority now, but in light of the long history of abuses he ought to be banned outright.
LaraLove
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 29th October 2009, 10:31pm) *

One of the best indicators of the sorry state of Wikipedia's administration over the years has been the concentration of authority into the hands of someone so malicious as Raul.

Elite model.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.