Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia 4eva!
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
privatemusings
So apparently 'Wikipedia Forever' is to be a slogan for a fundraising drive....

someone's been a bit cheeky (be sure to read the explanation too!

This, and a link to a page on wikipedia where these ideas where discussed (since lost, sorry!) were mentioned to me on IRC by a friendly chap who thought it might be interesting (thanks!) ... to me it's not really a big deal, but is quite funny ;-)
dtobias
"Before announcing any major fundraising campaign or slogan, register the domain first"... well, at least if you're in the mindset that every silly marketing gimmick or slogan needs a separate domain, instead of doing things within the main domain of the site/organization and logical subdomains of it.
privatemusings
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sat 24th October 2009, 9:30pm) *

"Before announcing any major fundraising campaign or slogan, register the domain first"... well, at least if you're in the mindset that every silly marketing gimmick or slogan needs a separate domain, instead of doing things within the main domain of the site/organization and logical subdomains of it.

... at least they're not a .com, dan... they don't seem to be a commercial orgaginsation ;-)
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sat 24th October 2009, 8:22pm) *

Oww, my heart burns.

I don't s'pose we can get Rammstein to do a soundtrack.

As for this site, it does look like something emesee would waste $9.95 on but I don't think it's him.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 24th October 2009, 9:49pm) *

QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sat 24th October 2009, 8:22pm) *

Oww, my heart burns.

I don't s'pose we can get Rammstein to do a soundtrack.

As for this site, it does look like something emesee would waste $9.95 on but I don't think it's him.

Surely not Emesee - it's legible, doesn't contain any glaring typos and doesn't mention a single conspiracy theory. If I were the finger-pointing type, I'd accuse a Certain Rival Wiki in West Chester, PA.
thekohser
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 24th October 2009, 5:58pm) *

Surely not Emesee - it's legible, doesn't contain any glaring typos and doesn't mention a single conspiracy theory. If I were the finger-pointing type, I'd accuse a Certain Rival Wiki in West Chester, PA.

Well, I will say this... The 484 area code resolves to Chester County, PA. And I wonder what happens if you call +1.484.NEW.WIKI? Go ahead, you can try it.

Anyway, this new WikipediaForever.org domain seems to have been registered by a joint in Chesterbrook, PA. Hmm...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.