Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jim Clymer
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
NotARepublican55
Just an untagged, unsourced BLP I found (on the leader of the Constitution Party USA) if anyone's interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Clymer
NuclearWarfare
OK. There are hundreds if not thousands of more of these. Unless you're going to analyze this further and explain how this shows the failures of Wikipedia in a new and interesting way, your time would be better spent tagging it yourself or even leaving it alone.

Still...this is sad.
Somey
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Wed 17th February 2010, 2:00am) *
Still...this is sad.

And also illustrative. You'll notice that the words "He grew up in Lancaster and earned a law degree" have been left unchanged since the original version from September 2005 - as noted, unsourced, incomplete (law degree from where?) and not even bothering to state that it's Lancaster, Pennsylvania as opposed to some other Lancaster.

And yet there have been just under 50 edits to the article since it was first posted - plenty of time for someone to fix that, but nobody does... why? Numerous facts have been added, but that line remains unchanged. Presumably because they didn't want to get into an argument over it, and didn't want to take the trouble to find out where Clymer's degree is from (the Washburn University School of Law in Topeka, Kansas). After all, it's just one little sentence in one little article about one little guy who's the chairman on one little political party.

There's no way to quantitatively prove that most people on Wikipedia don't want to do maintenance or even minor article improvement, but to anyone who's observed it for a decent length of time, it's quite obvious. This is the sort of thing we'll be seeing a lot more of, and it might get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does.
dogbiscuit
But it has got lovely info boxes on it, so it must be right.
carbuncle
I found a source:
HOMER MAN WINS HALIBUT DERBY
Author: RON MCGEE
Daily News reporter

Staff
Date: September 7, 1995
Publication: Anchorage Daily News (AK)
Page: B1

Word count: 529

The owner of a Homer printing shop hauled in that city's biggest halibut of the season and a $32,134 derby prize with the help of his charter boat skipper -- a great-grandmother.

Jim Clymer, owner of Fritz Creek Studios, pulled in a 346.9-pound fish on July 1, midway through Homer's Jackpot Halibut Derby. He was aboard the Billy Jo II of Thompson's Charters with five-time, great-grandmother Billy Jo Thompson skippering.

The fish was the largest ever [Read article (fee)]

thekohser
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 17th February 2010, 8:52am) *

I found a source:
HOMER MAN WINS HALIBUT DERBY
Author: RON MCGEE
Daily News reporter

Staff
Date: September 7, 1995
Publication: Anchorage Daily News (AK)
Page: B1

Word count: 529

The owner of a Homer printing shop hauled in that city's biggest halibut of the season and a $32,134 derby prize with the help of his charter boat skipper -- a great-grandmother.

Jim Clymer, owner of Fritz Creek Studios, pulled in a 346.9-pound fish on July 1, midway through Homer's Jackpot Halibut Derby. He was aboard the Billy Jo II of Thompson's Charters with five-time, great-grandmother Billy Jo Thompson skippering.

The fish was the largest ever [Read article (fee)]

That looks like an editing job for Bluefish live peacefully, or maybe even the Big Lovin' Pineapple.
NotARepublican55
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 17th February 2010, 2:20am) *

There's no way to quantitatively prove that most people on Wikipedia don't want to do maintenance or even minor article improvement, but to anyone who's observed it for a decent length of time, it's quite obvious. This is the sort of thing we'll be seeing a lot more of, and it might get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

Not only do they not want to do the article maintenance, but they expect other people to do it for them.

A few months ago, I nominated the Carman (Christian singer) article for deletion (here's the revision I nom'd, it's self-explanatory.) Unsourced, written like a promotion, and possibly even a copyvio (since the "bio" was just a cut/paste from the singer's web page).

Then soon after the AFD began, a couple users who'd "worked" on the article showed up accusing me of being lazy because I didn't source and rewrite the article myself instead of AFDing it. Sigh...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.