Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Officious Prick-ipediA
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
thekohser
I'm getting some link traffic from The Gameroom Blitz, where they seem to have a full-blown hate-on for Jimmy Wales:

These games are better than any of the official versions of GORF I've played... isn't that worthy of some mention? Not according to skirt-chasing douchenozzle Jimmy Wales and his army of anal-retentive dweebs with delusions of alpha maledom. A note to Jimmy if he's reading this, and I do so hope he is... what's the point of an encyclopedia that anyone can edit if you're just going to edit it out?

Another satisfied Wikipedia customer!
dtobias
Some of these criticisms you linked aren't all that fair; they're taking Wikipedia to task for insisting on better sources for things that people tried to write about based on their own personal knowledge of the subjects involved; but if somebody managed to get a hoax into Wikipedia by claiming personal knowledge of something that was in fact false, and even worse, pertained to a BLP subject, then the WR crowd would be the first to be screaming bloody murder about how Wikipedia was spreading bad information, and maybe even defamation. It's a no-win situation for the admins who get put into "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situations every time they are confronted with a "keep or delete" choice.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 1st March 2010, 2:19pm) *

Some of these criticisms you linked aren't all that fair; they're taking Wikipedia to task for insisting on better sources for things that people tried to write about based on their own personal knowledge of the subjects involved; but if somebody managed to get a hoax into Wikipedia by claiming personal knowledge of something that was in fact false, and even worse, pertained to a BLP subject, then the WR crowd would be the first to be screaming bloody murder about how Wikipedia was spreading bad information, and maybe even defamation. It's a no-win situation for the admins who get put into "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situations every time they are confronted with a "keep or delete" choice.

Of course the arguments are not very good. It would not be a better encyclopedia if that group of Usenet dweebs ran it instead of the current group of Usenet dweebs. But the officious prick part is right on the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.