Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reputation Is Dead
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
dtobias
Reputation is Dead: It’s Time To Overlook Our Indiscretions

From that article:

"It’s time for a centralized, well organized place for anonymous mass defamation on the Internet. Scary? Yes. But it’s coming nonetheless."

(They haven't heard of Wikipedia? smile.gif )
carbuncle
Ok, the second article about this is up on TechCrunch and Valleywag has a piece too. The website is now live (but in limited beta).
EricBarbour
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 31st March 2010, 4:18pm) *

Ok, the second article about this is up on TechCrunch and Valleywag has a piece too. The website is now live (but in limited beta).

And that's why I refuse to use LinkedIn or to respond to people who want me to link to them on LinkedIn. It is just another Web 2.0 opportunity to crap on people's heads from a safe and anonymous location and/or harvest personal information.

(On the other hand, I would not be surprised to find that the lunatics who started Unvarnished got their idea from seeing examples of Section 230 being used to avoid responsibility for what your users post, a la Wikipedia. Hope they have plenty of money for attorneys.)
thekohser
The comments on TechCrunch are hilarious.

And this co-founder guy -- he keeps using "Yelp" as an example of "when you go to Yelp to select a dentist or chiropractor".

confused.gif

He might want to peruse these items about Yelp.
JohnA
All of these types of websites are trying to game the search engines, principally Google, Yahoo and Bing. If the search engines refused to index these sites, then they would wither on the vine almost immediately.

It used to be the case that Usenet used to be the principal ground for internet defamation of this type. But now, social networking is showing the new way to defame people all around the world.
Ottava
Isn't it odd how the article didn't think of the possibility that if you didn't want the reputation of being with many women, smoking pot, etc, that the easiest way to not get it is to not indulge in them?

It reminds me of kids stupid enough to post drunk pictures on them on facebook then whine when their boss or college finds out.
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 31st March 2010, 11:00pm) *

(On the other hand, I would not be surprised to find that the lunatics who started Unvarnished got their idea from seeing examples of Section 230 being used to avoid responsibility for what your users post, a la Wikipedia. Hope they have plenty of money for attorneys.)

I was trying out Unvarnished today, just to test the waters.

Interesting that about an hour after I made one comment about someone, I received this notice, apparently only the 16th ever issued by the site:

Unvarnished Community Guidelines Violation Notification [Report # 16]

You are receiving this message because members of the Unvarnished community reported some content you submitted as being in violation of our Community Guidelines, Review Guidelines, Terms of Service, or Privacy Policy.

Particularly, your content "more about his bachelor love life than about the wreckage he's left behind from two marriages and past friends he's double-crossed" on profile -http://www.getunvarnished.com/profile/profilePage/XYZXYZ- was found to be problematic, and removed from the site. Namely, the content was -not business related-.

Entirely for research purposes, of course!

It would seem that they're going to have a difficult, difficult time hiding behind Section 230 if their "members of the Unvarnished community" are ever linked to "Unvarnished employees".
thekohser
This dispute is kind of interesting, too.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Ottava @ Sat 3rd April 2010, 7:26pm) *

Isn't it odd how the article didn't think of the possibility that if you didn't want the reputation of being with many women, smoking pot, etc, that the easiest way to not get it is to not indulge in them?

It reminds me of kids stupid enough to post drunk pictures on them on facebook then whine when their boss or college finds out.

Ah, you reminded me of an article in Science News I read recently. They got some 900 web wonks together to predict what the web 2.0 would look like in 2020, just 10 years from now. Funded by the Pew Foundation. Here's the article: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...%94__even_more_

The director of the project, one Lee Rainie, said it would give the users more power.

He is quoted with the following gem of a prediction:

QUOTE(Lee Rainie)
We’re in an environment now where lots of personal sharing is going on. The experts anticipate that a new sensibility would emerge called “reputation management.” There will be tools that allow people to erase all the goofy things that they did in college, if they want to. People will be able to essentially crowd out bad information about themselves by getting better information out there and making it more prominent, more linked to or more easily findable.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I laughed for a while. Then I decided it was possibly the stupidest single thing I'd ever seen written by a web guru-futurist, about what is ostensibly his own field of "expertise."

Man. It will be a long time before it's topped.

Here's more on the study:

http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2008/Th...ternet-III.aspx

Most of the comments in the following are pretty good. None of them are as dumb as the prediction by the leader of the project.

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/expe...tity_2020.xhtml
thekohser
Note: GetUnvarnished.com is now Honestly.com.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.