Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WMF Form 990 (through June 2009)
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
thekohser
It is posted. And there is a handy Q&A page intended to deceive us all.

Let's tear them apart, shall we?

evilgrin.gif

Sue Gardner's total compensation:
$175,050

Mike Godwin's total compensation:
$128,139

Veronique Kessler's total compensation:
$121,859

Total program expenses: $3,308,546.

Total revenue: $8,137,235.

Ratio of program expenses to revenue: 40.66% (about half of what reputable charities strive for)

Highest-paid contractor:

SQUIRE SANDERS AND DEMPSEY LLP of Tysons Corner, Virginia, for legal services totaling $131,564 (stuff that Mike Godwin couldn't handle on his own)

Return on investments:

The WMF reported between $2.8 million and $6.2 million stuffed away in cash savings/investments. The interest on that was about $31,000. A net return on investment of somewhere between 0.5% and 1.1%. Somebody ought to "consult" them on the concept of risk and return.

On page 9, Part IV, A, 2-the Form 990 asks if any director, officer, trustee or key employee had a family or business relationship with any other director, officer, trustee or key employee and the answer is marked “No”. However your audit report states that WMF paid rent to Wikia in the amount of $13,470.

The question on the Form 990 is subject to certain dollar thresholds; since our transactions with Wikia did not reach the minimum threshold, we are required to answer “No” for purposes of this question.
Whew!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th April 2010, 8:19am) *

It is posted. And there is a handy Q&A page intended to deceive us all.

Let's tear them apart, shall we?

evilgrin.gif

Sue Gardner's total compensation:
$175,050

Mike Godwin's total compensation:
$128,139

Veronique Kessler's total compensation:
$121,859

Cripes, Mike G. is making more salary in constant dollars than Hitler took.
thekohser
So, that's it?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th April 2010, 11:23am) *

So, that's it?

We are all shocked, shocked, that WMF is so corrupt. Shocked.
Moulton
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 27th April 2010, 2:29pm) *
We are all shocked, shocked, that WMF is so corrupt. Shocked.

Alas, we have not yet determined if their fraudulency and corruption is of a criminal nature.
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th April 2010, 6:23pm) *

So, that's it?

Gardner and Kessler's compensations seem reasonable (Gardner's is maybe a little bit high but about $25,000 of it appears to be due to some sort of taxable relocation benefits). As for Godwin, I can't really figure out what it is that he does which couldn't easily be done by someone paid much less. But maybe that's just cause he's such a humble guy...
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 27th April 2010, 5:13pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th April 2010, 6:23pm) *

So, that's it?

Gardner and Kessler's compensations seem reasonable. As for Godwin, I can't really figure out what it is that he does which couldn't easily be done by someone paid much less. But maybe that's just cause he's such a humble guy...

Perhaps he writes and approves contracts all day. It's hard to believe he does the WMF taxes, and we know they don't defend any civil suits.

I suppose they must have to execute a lot of contracts. rolleyes.gif
Lar
This is the part I found interesting:

DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE USED TO RUN WIKIMEDIA.ORG AND OTHER WEBSITES OPERATED BY WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION WITH THE GOAL OF CONTINUING INNOVATION TO FACILITATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF MORE AND HIGHER QUALITY EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES.

with expenditures of $753,127.

Presumably some of that was spent on the progress on Flagged Revisions so far?
Kevin
QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 28th April 2010, 10:47am) *

DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE USED TO RUN WIKIMEDIA.ORG AND OTHER WEBSITES OPERATED BY WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION WITH THE GOAL OF CONTINUING INNOVATION TO FACILITATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF MORE AND HIGHER QUALITY EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES.

That would be the $27 at the end, unless you also count the money that was spent ensuring it did not progress.
Somey
QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 27th April 2010, 7:47pm) *

You could easily build an entire ERP and enterprise management system from the ground up for that much. True, it would probably suck, and you'd then have to maintain it and train people on it, but... that's not the point, dag-gummit!

I mean, if we're trying to "AGF" here, it's logical to presume that most of that money is going into bandwidth optimization - storage, MySQL, and Apache, probably in that order. Except that you'd think that optimization would be part of the "general support" bucket, for which they're claiming an expenditure of $1,872,934.00...

Also, their returns are prepared by KPMG Consulting, a fairly high-priced firm - they sponsor golfer Phil Mickelson, among others. For the money they're probably paying them, and considering the nature of the client, you'd think they could manage proper spacing-after-punctuation.

And then there's this:
FOSTER THE DEVELOPMENT OF INTERNATIONAL WIKIMEDIA CHAPTER ORGANIZATIONS, ADVISE AND FACILITATE VOLUNTEER EFFORTS, AND BUILD PARTNERSHIPS WITH LIKE-MINDED ORGANIZATIONS IN ORDER TO RECRUIT NEW VOLUNTEERS, ASSESS AND IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EXISTING CONTENT, REACH NEW READERS, AND IMPORT NEW EDUCATIONAL CONTENT.
...which comes to $603,333.00.

What are they, the least-efficient organization on the planet? Practically everything is done by volunteers, and they're spending all this money! And besides, since when is it their job to "ASSESS AND IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EXISTING CONTENT"? They're not supposed to do that, FFS! It messes up their Section 230 immunity!

I mean, isn't this basically lying to the IRS?

I can see why they're desperate to maintain the illusion that they're a "charity," though - without that, their tax returns would be ten times harder to deal with.
Moulton
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 28th April 2010, 3:07am) *
I mean, isn't this basically lying to the IRS?

Well yeah.

But whether that's a criminal offense or a civil infraction is for others to say.

I'll just say that it's a fraud on the donors.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 28th April 2010, 7:07am) *

And then there's this:
FOSTER THE DEVELOPMENT OF INTERNATIONAL WIKIMEDIA CHAPTER ORGANIZATIONS, ADVISE AND FACILITATE VOLUNTEER EFFORTS, AND BUILD PARTNERSHIPS WITH LIKE-MINDED ORGANIZATIONS IN ORDER TO RECRUIT NEW VOLUNTEERS, ASSESS AND IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EXISTING CONTENT, REACH NEW READERS, AND IMPORT NEW EDUCATIONAL CONTENT.
...which comes to $603,333.00.

What are they, the least-efficient organization on the planet? Practically everything is done by volunteers, and they're spending all this money! And besides, since when is it their job to "ASSESS AND IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EXISTING CONTENT"? They're not supposed to do that, FFS! It messes up their Section 230 immunity!

I suspect they could counter those charges my pointing out that the "content" referred to could be the user documentation which they are paying Pete Forsyth to rework, if memory serves...

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 28th April 2010, 12:47am) *

Jimbo seems to be weakly pushing for progress on flagged revisions, perhaps someone should ask him to find out the amount of money that has been spent on this since the vote on WP. I'm sure it will make some eyes pop.
Cedric
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th April 2010, 10:19am) *

Highest-paid contractor:

SQUIRE SANDERS AND DEMPSEY LLP of Tysons Corner, Virginia, for legal services totaling $131,564 (stuff that Mike Godwin couldn't handle on his own)

That would be for litigation services. Godwin is not a trial attorney, and I would say from his CV that he never has been.
KamrynMatika
Why do they need to do all those fundraising drives with videos of Jimmy trying to look deeply concerned if they're ending the year with such a surplus? If they are only spending 3 million of the 8 million they received that means they gained 5 million that is sitting there doing nothing? Or am I reading it wrong? Because if that's right then they don't need to do a fundraising drive for another couple of years ...? blink.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 28th April 2010, 4:46pm) *

Why do they need to do all those fundraising drives with videos of Jimmy trying to look deeply concerned if they're ending the year with such a surplus? If they are only spending 3 million of the 8 million they received that means they gained 5 million that is sitting there doing nothing? Or am I reading it wrong? Because if that's right then they don't need to do a fundraising drive for another couple of years ...? blink.gif

No, you are not wrong, and no, yours are not the only raised eyebrows over this.
anthony
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 28th April 2010, 9:46pm) *

Well, here's Sue Gardner's answer:

One thing is, when you make a budget, you try and make it really conservative, by which I mean you posit that you're gonna need more than you think you actually will need. The reason you do that is because it's safer, right, then you have a pad in theory.

http://blog.p2pedia.org/2008/06/foundation...cried-wolf.html

Fraud? Deception? No no no... It's merely a matter of conservative mispositing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.