Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do Wikipedia's Sole 35 Employees Do?
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
tarantino
A minute and seventeen seconds with Henry Blodget and Jimmy Wales.

HB And so, How many people are actually focused on the content, is there some content director in the organization?

JW Um, no. I mean me, maybe but uh, we do have one guy on staff who is uh, volunteer coordinator and he liaisons between the staff and the community, but it's not his job to be sort of the editor-in-chief and direct uh, that and so essentially the Foundation has almost nothing to do with the content of the site. Uh, occasionally from the board level we'll give a little bit of encouragement or direction on certain things, but beyond that uh, it's really, it's all in the hands of the community.

Milton Roe
QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 22nd May 2010, 3:50pm) *

HB And so, How many people are actually focused on the content, is there some content director in the organization?

JW Um, no. I mean me, maybe but uh, we do have one guy on staff who is uh, volunteer coordinator and he liaisons between the staff and the community, but it's not his job to be sort of the editor-in-chief and direct uh, that and so essentially the Foundation has almost nothing to do with the content of the site. Uh, occasionally from the board level we'll give a little bit of encouragement or direction on certain things, but beyond that uh, it's really, it's all in the hands of the community.

EXCEPT when I, Jimbo, draw the mighty pistola of my desysop-command, at the all-midget-Western we call.... Wikimedia.

anthony
QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 22nd May 2010, 10:50pm) *

"me, maybe"? wtf.gif

Was this a recent interview?
thekohser
Anybody recognize the utter irony (or is it perhaps "appropriateness") of Henry Blodget interviewing Jimmy Wales about how Wikipedia was born out of the dot-com bubble bursting?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 22nd May 2010, 8:06pm) *
Anybody recognize the utter irony (or is it perhaps "appropriateness") of Henry Blodget interviewing Jimmy Wales about how Wikipedia was born out of the dot-com bubble bursting?

I do! I do!

I remember 2000, when the NASDAQ started to tank in a massive way.

Blodget was one of the most blatant dotcom stock pumpers at the time--
thanks to him, the CalPers retirement system nearly went bankrupt, not to
mention uncounted thousands of daytraders who ended up penniless.

If you'd like to be really disgusted, read the SEC complaint against Blodget.
He reminds me of a Wikipedia admin who loves to banhammer people.

There are still people who'd like to hang Blodget up by his manly bits.
I read somewhere that he had to hide in a cabin in the backwoods for a while......

And today?
In the wake of Wall Street's latest meltdown, Blodget finds himself in even greater demand. He's doing regular TV appearances and is posting again on Slate. When NPR wanted someone to talk about the Wall Street culture of greed, they brought in Blodget. The reporter introduced him by pointing out that Merrill is now gone, "and Henry Blodget is gone, too; he's banned from Wall Street after being charged with fraud."

"Thanks," Blodget said, stuttering for a second, "especially for that horrific introduction." They both laughed. But by the end, the host was treating Blodget like an elder statesman.

Wall Street. BAH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.