Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google Fight Jimmy vs The Review
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
Just a bit of silliness ... but the results are in:

Jimmy Wales: 234,000 Wikipedia Review: 5,810,000

See: Google Fight results.

So how come he is getting paid $75,000 a night and we are still having to pay for the privilege to edit ourselves?

Jeez ... for $75,000 a night I'd be paying folks to edit on my behalf.

(OK ... OK ... Jimmy Wales versus wikipediareview.com is kind of pitifully reversed.)
dtobias
That's kind of bogus; I checked out what Google actually returns for "wikipedia review", and while some of the things on the first page are actually about WR (the first result is WR itself, the second is the Wikipedia article on WR, and soon afterward comes the Encyclopedia Dramatica article on it), but there are also things like "The Charms of Wikipedia | The New York Review of Books", and as you get into succeeding pages, such things where "Wikipedia" and "review" just happen to occur close together without referring to this site eventually dominate.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 1st June 2010, 3:21am) *

That's kind of bogus; I checked out what Google actually returns for "wikipedia review", and while some of the things on the first page are actually about WR (the first result is WR itself, the second is the Wikipedia article on WR, and soon afterward comes the Encyclopedia Dramatica article on it), but there are also things like "The Charms of Wikipedia | The New York Review of Books", and as you get into succeeding pages, such things where "Wikipedia" and "review" just happen to occur close together without referring to this site eventually dominate.

Nobody said it was a fair fight. After all, Jimbo beats Greg every time on Google Fight. I think he has a ringer.
ulsterman
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 1st June 2010, 3:21am) *

Using quotes, which should greatly reduce this problem, "jimmy wales" gets 434,000 hits. "jimbo wales" gets 101,000 (though doubtless some duplicate "jimmy wales"). "wikipedia review" gets 24,100 and "wikipediareview" gets 14,300.
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 1st June 2010, 3:42am) *

Nobody said it was a fair fight. After all, Jimbo beats Greg every time on Google Fight. I think he has a ringer.

That's okay. I beat Jimbo every time on Wikipedia Review, so it all evens out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.