Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sue Gardner's shift to "small donations"
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
thekohser
Sue Gardner says...

I don't know if you've read the 2010-11 plan. In it, we lay out the new revenue strategy, which focuses on "many small donations," and calls for a shift away from a "balanced approach," which includes grants and large gifts and earned income. (We will still do some of that, but much less.). That new approach is not an accident: it's a deliberate attempt, by me and the board, after lots of thinking, to reduce the likelihood that we'll need or want to compromise due to the attitudes or desires of funders. We want the Wikimedia Foundation to be oriented towards readers and editors.

We've talked before how large foundation-level donations to the WMF at least give it a sort of accountability to presumably responsible organizations.

Looks like Sue would rather be unaccountable and irresponsible.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 26th July 2010, 6:15pm) *

Sue Gardner says...

I don't know if you've read the 2010-11 plan. In it, we lay out the new revenue strategy, which focuses on "many small donations," and calls for a shift away from a "balanced approach," which includes grants and large gifts and earned income. (We will still do some of that, but much less.). That new approach is not an accident: it's a deliberate attempt, by me and the board, after lots of thinking, to reduce the likelihood that we'll need or want to compromise due to the attitudes or desires of funders. We want the Wikimedia Foundation to be oriented towards readers and editors.

We've talked before how large foundation-level donations to the WMF at least give it a sort of accountability to presumably responsible organizations.

This raises serious problems and can only make matters worse.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th July 2010, 12:15am) *

Ya, Sue does strike me as a bad, bad little girl.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(Sue Gardner @ Tue 27th July 2010, 12:15am) *
the new revenue strategy, which focuses on "many small donations" ... it's a deliberate attempt by me and the board ... to reduce the likelihood that we'll need or want to compromise

Interesting turn of events ... I'll look forward to the language with which it is sold.

"Let's keep raking in off the neophytes and committed adherents who wish to push their own POVs ... they are either fool enough or don't care about public opinion."

It should be included in Peter Damian's letter of concern to funders.
Killiondude
She started to talk a bit about this in her "office hours" on IRC the other day.

Look at the timestamps around 15:55.
dogbiscuit
From that link:
Basically, Zack's premise is that there are lots of talented people in the community who are demonstrating informal leadership and trying to get good work done. Some of them don't need any particular help or support from the Wkimedia Foundation, but some of them would be able to get way more done if they had help.

So the purpose of putting out this call, is to surface people who are doing really great work, and bring some of them onto the staff so they can get stuff done faster and more effectively.

It's an experiment, and we're not quite sure what might come of it. There will probably be all kinds of interesting implications and consequences, and we're keen to see what they will be.

It is fascinating what perspective does. It is scary to think of who she is imagining needs to be put on the payroll. Looks like she wants to bring the NotACabal in house. Perhaps Gerard is struggling to fund his two wife life style.

Greg, if you'd kept your head down, you could have been paid staff. biggrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 27th July 2010, 5:00am) *

Greg, if you'd kept your head down, you could have been paid staff. biggrin.gif

And earning (probably) 40% to 50% of what I earn now! What fun that would be when paying the monthly bills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.