Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is Wikipedia worth?
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
thekohser
What is Wikipedia worth?
A sixth-grade essay by little Ezra Klein
Washington Post

I donated a bit of money to Wikipedia this year, and I just got another appeal to donate a bit more. It's penned -- at least in theory -- by Jimmy Wales, the site's founder, and it makes a good case for the project...

Comment from thekohser:

Oh, Ezra. Thank you for showing us exactly how a Wikipedia supporter plies his craft.

You call Jimmy Wales the site's "founder", but had you done some research, you'd know that the idea for Wikipedia, the name for Wikipedia, and the first announcement of Wikipedia's existence came from Larry Sanger, not Jimmy Wales.

Then, you donated money to a wasteful organization that earned only one star (out of four) in organization efficiency from Charity Navigator. Not such a thrifty investment.

Then, you say you work for "Tthe Washington Post" (sic).

And finally, you suggest that users are "paying a lot less than its (sic) actually worth".

Let's hope your economic and domestic policy smarts are a shade better than your ability to spot a con game and your typographical skills.

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 17th December 2010, 10:03pm) *

What is Wikipedia worth?
A sixth-grade essay by little Ezra Klein
Washington Post

I donated a bit of money to Wikipedia this year, and I just got another appeal to donate a bit more. It's penned -- at least in theory -- by Jimmy Wales, the site's founder, and it makes a good case for the project...

Comment from thekohser:

Oh, Ezra. Thank you for showing us exactly how a Wikipedia supporter plies his craft.

You call Jimmy Wales the site's "founder", but had you done some research, you'd know that the idea for Wikipedia, the name for Wikipedia, and the first announcement of Wikipedia's existence came from Larry Sanger, not Jimmy Wales.

Then, you donated money to a wasteful organization that earned only one star (out of four) in organization efficiency from Charity Navigator. Not such a thrifty investment.

Then, you say you work for "Tthe Washington Post" (sic).

And finally, you suggest that users are "paying a lot less than its (sic) actually worth".

Let's hope your economic and domestic policy smarts are a shade better than your ability to spot a con game and your typographical skills.

But the title of the article provides a good reason to use the phrase "bucket of warm spit."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.