Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Connelley deletes discussions and blocks IP
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > William Connolley
JohnA
After I'd put in a few inconvenient truths that Bill Connelley doesn't like, his friend Sheldon Rampton deletes them saying pathetically that they didn't include the magic phrase "The science is settled"

I reverted this vandalism with a lovely mesage to Shelly to stop screwing with history.

Then Bill Connelley DELETES my message in the discussionand deletes my edit without explanation

I then revert my discussion and add a little warming about deleting other peoples words.

He then deletes my discussion again (calling it trolling) and then for good measure blocks my IP address (a temporary ruse since I'm moving anyway)

It stops the 3RR rule (for the moment).

Should I complain to Jimbo that Connelley is deleting discussions of articles?

All the history is here before of course, it gets edited by Bill Connelley as well.....
JohnA
It looks as though Connelley has deleted the history logs as well. All is fine at Minitrue with your man at the speakwrite, Winston Smith.
TabulaRasa
QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 10:26am) *

It looks as though Connelley has deleted the history logs as well. All is fine at Minitrue with your man at the speakwrite, Winston Smith.

Doubleplusbad! mad.gif
JohnA
QUOTE(TabulaRasa @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 3:47pm) *

QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 10:26am) *

Doubleplusbad! mad.gif

Or doubleplusungood (Ingsoc dictionary, 11th Ed, 1984)

What I'd like to know is, given Wikipedia's archane bureaucracy, is it allowed for admins to delete edits, discussions and history logs?
Somey
I'm still seeing a version from 13:25 UTC... Are you saying there were versions prior to that that are now invisible? Connelley doesn't have oversight capability, though that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. He could've done that whole delete-and-restore-only-(X)-versions thing, I suppose.

So basically, in an article entitled "The science is settled," you tried to insert some examples of people saying things that were tantamount to saying "the science is settled," and this guy reverted you because those examples didn't use the exact phrase?

I'm as much of a global-warming alarmist as anybody, but even I think that's a little ridiculous... Pardon me if I'm being dense, but I take it the point of this is to simply discredit every claim made by the "nothing to worry about" side, even if those claims tend to suggest that the "we're all doomed" side is actually being clear and decisive, as they probably should be?
LamontStormstar
Wikipedia admins do this ALL THE TIME. When Jimbo is asked, he supports all their abuses.
Placeholder
/
Somey
That's what I'm getting too. Rather than just try and get the original article deleted, they've edit-warred it into a big stub that they insist has to be exclusively about the phrase itself, and that any issues surrounding the phrase or who may or may not have used it after it was originally coined, in its original context, are irrelevant.

This was Rampton's reaction to the original version:

QUOTE(Sheldon Rampton @ 21:21, 19 Dec 2003 (UTC))
Almost everything in the article's original form is either POV or an outright lie (see my annotations below). This article is so sloppily written, laden with POV invective and unsupported by actual evidence, that I don't know how to redeem it.

But they actually did manage to come up with a way to redeem it, from their perspective anyway - because three years later it's still there, and he's now defending it:

QUOTE(Sheldon Rampton @ 21:25, 11 September 2006 (UTC))
The article already makes it clear that many people, including members of the Clinton administration, regard the science as clear and compelling showing that human activities are driving global warming. The fact that they believe this is not at issue. The question, however, is whether the specific phrase, "the science is settled," was coined by the Clinton administration and used as a slogan.

Fascinating, I suppose... But I have to admit, if I'd been on Wikipedia, monitoring this topic area at the time, I surely would've supported a "speedy delete" on it. But WP was smaller back then, so maybe everyone was an inclusionist?
IronDuke
A review of William Connelly's logs and the article logs show no deletion/restore. Unless he is a developer and did it sub-rosa with an SQL query, it doesn't appear that any deletion of comments occurred. On top of that, Connelly only blocked the affected IP for 3 hours.

This is not a commentary on the validity (or lack thereof) of the article, but the admin action here seems less egregious that (e.g.) SlimV's usual indefinite block plus locking of user talk page tactic.
JohnA
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 6:37pm) *

I'm still seeing a version from 13:25 UTC... Are you saying there were versions prior to that that are now invisible? Connelley doesn't have oversight capability, though that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. He could've done that whole delete-and-restore-only-(X)-versions thing, I suppose.

Correct. I restored a previous edit that had been censored by Sheldon Rampton, and Connelley reverted it. I then reverted it again and Connelley deleted it again, blocked the IP address and deleted all reference to my changes and to the discussion explaining why I was reverting.

So basically, in an article entitled "The science is settled," you tried to insert some examples of people saying things that were tantamount to saying "the science is settled," and this guy reverted you because those examples didn't use the exact phrase?

Bingo! If the exact phrase isn't used then according to Shelly and Bill, it doesn't qualify. Impressive, huh?

I'm as much of a global-warming alarmist as anybody, but even I think that's a little ridiculous... Pardon me if I'm being dense, but I take it the point of this is to simply discredit every claim made by the "nothing to worry about" side, even if those claims tend to suggest that the "we're all doomed" side is actually being clear and decisive, as they probably should be?

Actually this is what has happened to climate science in general. Alarmists publish ridiculously false papers claiming that global warming is happening and it must be caused by American tailpipes and then censor or attempt to censor anyone who calls them on it.

Wikipedia is an excellent way to do this kind of censorship - not only can you delete the edit but you can remove all evidence that the edit ever took place, and delete the discussions as well. Then you block the Ip for trolling knowing that no-one will ever inquire why an IP address was blocked.

After all, who are you going to believe: me or your own lying eyes?

QUOTE(IronDuke @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 1:02am) *

A review of William Connelly's logs and the article logs show no deletion/restore. Unless he is a developer and did it sub-rosa with an SQL query, it doesn't appear that any deletion of comments occurred. On top of that, Connelly only blocked the affected IP for 3 hours.

This is not a commentary on the validity (or lack thereof) of the article, but the admin action here seems less egregious that (e.g.) SlimV's usual indefinite block plus locking of user talk page tactic.

Well there you go. Accoridng to the logs it can't have happened so I must be a lunatic, right? (No I'm not accusing you of anything...it's ironic).

If the IP was blocked, then the question is why, but according to the logs that IP address has never made an edit - so why block the IP address?

Somey can see which IP address I was using this morning because I posted here with it and then he can see that that IP address was blocked for 3 hours for "trolling" by Connelley. But why, unless the address was used to edit something that Connelley didn't like?

So to make this a perfect crime that never happened, all Connelley has to do is delete the logs for the IP address I used and no-one will know that anything happened. So you'll have to be quick.
Somey
QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 10:32pm) *
Somey can see which IP address I was using this morning because I posted here with it and then he can see that that IP address was blocked for 3 hours for "trolling" by Connelley.

Sure enough, it was (I hope you don't mind my reposting the IP - if you do, LMK-ASAP):

13:41, 2 October 2006 William M. Connolley (Talk | contribs) blocked "216.204.101.210 (contribs)" with an expiry time of 3 hours (trolling/junk)

But were you looking at the history for the article itself, or the article's talk page? I see three reverts on the talk page, but only one on the article. Sorry, this is confusing... Also, I guess now that Cyde is gone (no doubt temporarily), the word "trolling" is back in vogue. Though I guess it was never really out of vogue, really!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:216.204.101.210
JohnA
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 5:05am) *

QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 2nd October 2006, 10:32pm) *
Somey can see which IP address I was using this morning because I posted here with it and then he can see that that IP address was blocked for 3 hours for "trolling" by Connelley.

Sure enough, it was (I hope you don't mind my reposting the IP - if you do, LMK-ASAP):

13:41, 2 October 2006 William M. Connolley (Talk | contribs) blocked "216.204.101.210 (contribs)" with an expiry time of 3 hours (trolling/junk)

But were you looking at the history for the article itself, or the article's talk page? I see three reverts on the talk page, but only one on the article. Sorry, this is confusing... Also, I guess now that Cyde is gone (no doubt temporarily), the word "trolling" is back in vogue. Though I guess it was never really out of vogue, really!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:216.204.101.210

There were two reverts to both the article and the talk page, but only in the parallel universe where Wikipedia admins don't engage in blatent censorship.

No I don't mind the posting of the IP address in this case.

So the question is: if the IP address was blocked for trolling, where are the edits from this address?

Answers to Jimbo Wales....
EuroSceptic
Connelley was right in reverting you.
Placeholder
/
guy
QUOTE(Joey @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 2:48pm) *

which are most exaggerated among residents of the Americas south of the Canadian border and north of Mexico.

Not to mention those west of the Canadian border.
Placeholder
/
Ben
The problem with Connelley's climate change articles is that he thinks he is a good communicator. I had a run-in with him to try and make the global warming articles interesting and readable for your average person and nearly got banned for my troubles. Of course, at the time I was naive and didn't realize how messed up Wikipedia was, and still is.

Connelly may know the science but he cannot write an encyclopedia article. Knowing the science and writing--especially so a layman can understand--are quite different beasts. He doesn't seem to understand the role that structure, framework, and definition plays in communication. That might not matter if you're a climatologist putting numbers into a computer all day, but it certainly matters if you're a writer.

On top of that, he's got a gigantic chip on his shoulder about climate change skeptics. Everything he writes poorly is made even worse by his contempt for anyone who questions the science. Even worse, he thinks anyone who questions his writing is questioning the science, so he shows contempt to them too. This comes through in his condescending lecturing style of writing and passive-aggressive way of discussing. This, of course, leads to more angry skeptics, which makes the chip on his shulder even bigger until the only way he can satisfy his urges to defeat the skeptics is to become adminstrator/dictator and simply block anyone who disagrees with him, because he has to keep fighting them. He fights them because he does not know how to win, and that's because he does not know how to communicate. He plays dirty instead.

I agree with the anthropogenic theory of global climate change, but Connelly's writing style makes more skeptics not less. Presented with a condescending contemptuous article, it's no wonder that people become angry skeptics, or have their conspiracy theories and skepticism reinforced. The problem of misguided skeptics will not go away until Connelly does. He is not helping whatsoever, and he's making things worse instead of better.

---

Just to add, in my view, the fact that there is an entire article devoted to the quote "The science is settled" gives away Connelley's focus. He is focused not on communicating, but convincing by whatever means possible (in this case, an appeal to authority).
Placeholder
/
JohnA
I would like to make the point that this is NOT about the rights and wrongs of what I wrote (although I can justify what I wrote by reference to facts)

What this is about is someone like Connelley sending edits he doesn't like and discussions he doesn't want straight into the memory holes of Wikipedia. What was Wikipedia supposed to be about? Was this decided by consensus? Where is the great Experiment in Democratization of Knowledge?

Placeholder
/
JohnA
QUOTE(Joey @ Wed 4th October 2006, 5:26am) *

QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 9:50pm) *

I would like to make the point that this is NOT about the rights and wrongs of what I wrote (although I can justify what I wrote by reference to facts)

What this is about is someone like Connelley sending edits he doesn't like and discussions he doesn't want straight into the memory holes of Wikipedia. What was Wikipedia supposed to be about? Was this decided by consensus? Where is the great Experiment in Democratization of Knowledge?

WP:NOT says wikipedia is not an experiment in democracy. Many of us long ago recognized that the appearance of a system of rules on wikipedia is nothing more -- a simple appearance. Consensus is a joke in that context -- it's mostly a way for a larger part of a group to shout down a smaller part.

Several of us are probably diametrically opposed to your views related to topic of the article in question, but the strength of our mutual realization that there is something wrong with the way content is administered is evident in the fact that most of us who responded agree wholeheartedly that:
* the administrative system didn't work well in this example,
* this is a classic example of the system being used to advance political ideals, and
* even though we agree with the ideals being promoted by this particular abuse of the system, we think such promotion does nothing but harm to the public mind and to a cause that we tend to support.

Thanks Joey.

I'll be frank. I don't believe that knowledge or truth "emerges" from crowds, or from the most vociferous advocates of something, but from the most totalitarian regime of all: "Is it true or false and how can we prove it?"

I've talked to quite a few scientists about Wikipedia and they're all horrified by the abuse of science (and I'm talking just in general terms, not specific to climate science). They fret that people are being taught that scientific judgment is really a branch of politics, rather than an application of the scientific method.

Connelley demonstrates the trend. He may have a PhD and a nice cushy job with the British Antarctic Survey but what he really is is a political propagandist with lots of time to spend suppressing facts that he doesn't want expressed and viewpoints that question his own. He is a member of the Green Party in the UK (which is really a warmed-up Marxist group) and has been a GP candidate for local council elections. The GP in his local area proposes a cut in carbon emissions of 85% - nobody knows how much poverty that would cause.

I regard it as offensive to regard Connelley as an expert in climate science, his area of expertise is very narrow. But he never, ever defends his viewpoints in open debate, preferring to suppress other viewpoints and demonizing anyone who criticizes his pronouncements.

Also, and this is a point picked up by people who agree with Global Warming, he can't write articles for toffee. He really can't.

He is a symbol, in my view, of the encroaching totalitarianism of Wikipedia.
JohnA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_science_is_settled

By the way, everybody - the changes made in our little edit war on 2nd October are now back as if by magic! (Somey - its probably your lying eyes that deceived you!)

Even more by magic, I have reverted Connelley's vandalistic removal of inconvenient truths and added yet another person making the equivalent claim to "The science is settled"

Would anyone like to check: the text, the discussion changes and especially the edit histories for both to see what either Rampton or Connelley do next?

By the way, I've taken pictures in case of another attack of the "Connelley Red Button"
Somey
Oops, too late... Looks like Mr. Raul654 got 'em all reverted again. Still, not bad - this time they lasted almost two hours!

Maybe you should start a completely new article for that material, and call it Cute Fuzzy Little Schnauzer Puppies. Include several photos of cute fuzzy little Schnauzer puppies, of course. Nobody would ever delete cute fuzzy little Schnauzer puppies, would they? Why, that would be monstrous.

Meanwhile, is there any other Wikipedia article where examples are given of public figures making public statements to the effect that a majority of scientists are generally agreed on the reality of global warming? And if not, what's the harm either way? That's the part I still don't quite understand.
JohnA
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 30th October 2006, 4:49am) *

Oops, too late... Looks like Mr. Raul654 got 'em all reverted again. Still, not bad - this time they lasted almost two hours!

Maybe you should start a completely new article for that material, and call it Cute Fuzzy Little Schnauzer Puppies. Include several photos of cute fuzzy little Schnauzer puppies, of course. Nobody would ever delete cute fuzzy little Schnauzer puppies, would they? Why, that would be monstrous.

Meanwhile, is there any other Wikipedia article where examples are given of public figures making public statements to the effect that a majority of scientists are generally agreed on the reality of global warming? And if not, what's the harm either way? That's the part I still don't quite understand.

It all relates to WMC's well known massive chip-on-the-shoulder about climate skeptics, or frankly anyone who doesn't agree with WMC.

I have no opinion on how good WMC is at climate modelling (although I have some opinions about the results of climate models), but he can't write encyclopedia articles for toffee and he spends pretty much all his time deleting stuff that he viscerally dislikes under the guise that its "trolling" or vandalism".

And I've reverted the vandalism. Let's see how long this games goes...

Since WMC has obviously been told to return the deleted edit histories OR ELSE, I think he's just mad keen to get back to the passive-aggressive yawning-I-really-can't-be-bothered-explaining-this-to you-midgets style that we all know and love.

With respect to climate change, this means nothing about the wider debate. It's clear that Connelley has written a troll article castigating "skeptics" (note that he doesn't define what that means) and no has a rearguard action trying to block clear facts that show he's wrong.

ETA: You'll notice that Raul didn't even bother to say WHY he was reverting. Perhaps its all too much trouble...*yawn* *stretch*
guy
QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 30th October 2006, 8:48am) *

ETA: You'll notice that Raul didn't even bother to say WHY he was reverting. Perhaps its all too much trouble...*yawn* *stretch*

Just revert with a comment "restoring material deleted without explanation" or some such. That always annoys people like that.
JohnA
QUOTE(guy @ Mon 30th October 2006, 10:24am) *

QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 30th October 2006, 8:48am) *

Just revert with a comment "restoring material deleted without explanation" or some such. That always annoys people like that.

Connelley doesn't bother even explaining why he's reverting. He just puts "Reverting to Raul956 version" or some such.

It got reverted by me anyway.

Oh and I added a quick poser for Connelley on his talk page:

Bill,

When are you going to stop trying to revert the clear facts set out that falsify your troll article [[The science is settled]]? Is it that you just can't bear the idea that one of your contrived myths keeps getting debunked? All that will happen is the RVs will continue and even more inconvenient truths will get added to it.

Oh, and when are you going to undelete ALL of the edit histories from 2nd October or shall I just ask Jimbo Wales to find them for us? After all, just some of the histories being removed and not returned is just as bad as all of them.

John A --86.142.246.231 11:11, 30 October 2006 (UTC)

We'll have to see what bizarre rule Connelley comes up with next. My bets are:

2-1 Get sockpuppets to revert back to Connelley vandalism and try to invoke 3RR rule
3-1 Block IP for "trolling/vandalism"
4-1 Setup bot to revert.
5-1 Try to semi-protect article from "trolling/vandalism"

50-1 Get someone to VFD the article.
JohnA
That last revert has lasted whole 3 minutes before Connelley reverted it. AND HE HAS DELETED MY QUESTION FROM HIS TALKPAGE WITHOUT EXPLANATION.

Here's my reply (you can see what its a reply to in his discussion history)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Wil...this_isn.27t_CA

You're right Bill, this isn't CA

Because if this was CA, your question would be left where it is, and answered. And reviewed.

Since this is Wikipedia, it means that asking questions about your incessant deletion of inconvenient facts, then edits, then the histories of those edits, then discussions of the edits (incidentally you're not even bothering to use the talk page to discuss changes and why - are they beneath you?

Perhaps I'll just ask the ArbComm or Jimbo about why you keep deleting facts from Wikipedia, and then claiming that they don't exist.

John A --86.142.246.231 11:39, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
JohnA
And he's deleted that one from his talk page as well:

Here's the history (in case Connelley hits the Red Button again):

# (cur) (last) 11:43, 30 October 2006 William M. Connolley (Talk | contribs) (→You're right Bill, this isn't CA - Please stop wasting my time. And meaningless threats about arbcomm won't help)
# (cur) (last) 11:39, 30 October 2006 86.142.246.231 (Talk) (You're right Bill, this isn't CA)
# (cur) (last) 11:13, 30 October 2006 William M. Connolley (Talk | contribs) (→Deletion of inconvenient facts and histories by WMC vandalism - this isn't CA; you're obliged to be polite (or get blocked))
JohnA
Oh and Connelley has sent me a love letter:

3rr

In case you aren't aware of it, I remind you of WP:3RR William M. Connolley 11:45, 30 October 2006 (UTC)

What a charmer.
JohnA
One good turn deserves another:

Bill,

perhaps I should remind you of [[WP:AGF]] and [[WP:TPG]] especially this one

Behavior that is unacceptable

Don't threaten people: For example, threatening people with "admins you know" or having them banned for disagreeing with you.

I'm sure you'll take this into consideration.

John A--86.142.246.231 12:13, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
JohnA
By the way, Connelley has given up trying to revert the article, and even made the suggestion to me that I submit it for AFD.

Why would I do a foolish thing like that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.