Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiki's world (Daily Telegraph)
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Yahoo! News
Wikipedia, the online encyclopaedia that anyone can write and edit, is one of the unlikeliest success stories of the cyber age. Mick Brown tracks down its founder in Florida – and talks to the Wikipedians who keep the site alive.

Article: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...28/ftwiki28.xml
Somey
This is one of the most extensive articles I've seen on Wikipedia in quite a long time. Interesting that they put it in the "Entertainment" section...

However, since it quotes Dave Gerard quite a bit towards the end, I obviously can't endorse it!

Still, a couple of quotes:

To spend any time on Wikipedia is to be confirmed in the truth that any large group of enthusiasts, left to their own devices, will immediately begin to organise themselves into a hermetic society with its own byzantine hierarchies, secret language and arcane practices.

And I really hesitate to point this one out:

The case of William Connolley is particularly illuminating in this regard. A 42-year-old climate modeller at the British Antarctic Expedition in Cambridge, Connolley found himself embroiled in a ‘revert’ war with a sceptic over the subject of global warming that lasted the best part of a year. ... Connolley told me he has no idea who his antagonist was, but it was clear to him that ‘they didn’t know science’. Eventually, the argument went to arbitration, where a ruling was made not on the basis of the facts of global warming but on etiquette and policy.

This is essentially a lie, isn't it? That bit is on pages 12 and 13.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.