Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BC professors agree: Wikipedia not so reliable - The Heights
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Yahoo! News
In the universe of Modern Language Association (MLA) guidelines and citations, the rules, of which there are many, are typically black and white. Wikipedia, however, the self-titled "free encyclopedia that anyone can edit," has single-handedly created a swath of gray area and controversy in not only the formatting rule books, but in the entire realm of online information sources.

Article: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...e-2435029.shtml
Google News

BC professors agree: Wikipedia not so reliable
The Heights (subscription), MA - 1 hour ago
Wikipedia, however, the self-titled "free encyclopedia that anyone can edit," has single-handedly created a swath of gray area and controversy in not only the ...
Somey
A Boston College professor is quoted herein as saying:
"In the end, it is rather foolish for BC students to use Wikipedia. They have access - paid with their tuition dollars - to a much more reliable, much better written online encyclopedia, namely, Britannica online. But more to the point, they have access to a vast array of books in the BC libraries. When I see a Wikipedia citation, I think 'intellectually lazy student who is more interested in finishing assignments than in learning.' Maybe that's the danger."

Not such a bad article for the most part, but there's that Nature study reference yet again, wacko.gif with no mention of Britannica's response to it - the sign of an intellectually lazy student-journalist.

I'm going to have to enable the little green barfing-smiley icon for inline use if this keeps up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.