Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Wikipedia Failing? - Slashdot
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Google News

Is Wikipedia Failing?
Slashdot - 32 minutes ago
An anonymous reader writes "A growing number of people are concerned about where Wikipedia is heading. Some have left Wikipedia for Citizendium, ...
Yahoo! News
An anonymous reader writes "A growing number of people are concerned about where Wikipedia is heading. Some have left Wikipedia for Citizendium, while others are trying to change the culture of Wikipedia from within. A recent essay called Wikipedia is failing points out many of the problems which must be solved with Wikipedia for it to succeed in its aim of becoming a reputable, reliable ...

Article: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...314235&from=rss
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Yahoo! News @ Wed 14th February 2007, 9:11am) *

An anonymous reader writes "A growing number of people are concerned about where Wikipedia is heading. Some have left Wikipedia for Citizendium, while others are trying to change the culture of Wikipedia from within. A recent essay called Wikipedia is failing points out many of the problems which must be solved with Wikipedia for it to succeed in its aim of becoming a reputable, reliable ...

Article: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...314235&from=rss

WikiWiffle

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 15th February 2007, 8:38am) *

QUOTE(Yahoo! News @ Wed 14th February 2007, 9:11am) *

An anonymous reader writes "A growing number of people are concerned about where Wikipedia is heading. Some have left Wikipedia for Citizendium, while others are trying to change the culture of Wikipedia from within. A recent essay called Wikipedia Is Failing points out many of the problems which must be solved with Wikipedia for it to succeed in its aim of becoming a reputable, reliable ...

Article : http://us.rd.yahoo.com...

WikiWiffle

This essay has now been userfied by Cyde, on a pretext that I was too bored to follow right now.However, in direct response to the citing of WP:Wikipedia Is Failing by Slashdot, User:Jeff Carr created a project page WP:Wikipedia Is Not Failing, which has been allowed to remain a project page.

You'd think, now wouldn't you, that NPOV would demand a neutral title like "Is Wikipedia Failing?"

Personally, I'm voting for WP:Wikipedia Is Mostly Putrid (WP:WIMP) ...

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 16th February 2007, 7:28am) *
This essay has now been userfied by Cyde, on a pretext that I was too bored to follow right now.

From Cyde's edit summary:
If no one else is allowed to edit this, as many of the "Wikipedia is failing" crowd are asserting, then it is NOT a projectspace essay.

Well, that explains that, then! wacko.gif

I guess logic isn't really their forté, is it? They protect the page, then use their own protection of it to justify "moving" it to make it appear to be just one person's opinion. Then they replaced the original page with this:

* For the former project page of this name, cited by Slashdot on February 14, 2007, see the user essay Wikipedia is failing by Worldtraveller.

* For other opinions on this issue, see Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not failing and User talk:Worldtraveller/Wikipedia is failing.

This page will be deleted within a week or so, probably.

I can't say I blame them, though... Who really wants to be criticized on their own website? Of course, if they were to admit that they didn't want such things lying around, instead of claiming all this phony "openness" and so forth, then they might actually have something there.
Jonny Cache
I did not see who protected it. It gets really hard to track down who did what to whom after a page has been moved and redirected a couple of times -- which is of course one of the reasons that these Anti-Wiki Admin Vandals and History Rewriters do it in the first place. It is possible that the protection was tagged or requested by the project promoters -- but the page was only semi-protected against new and unreg users, and lots and lots of WP pages are into those brands of safe sects these days, so I don't see the justification for the userfication. Oops, forget I said that ...

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.