Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Chronicle of Higher Education takes up the Essjay case...
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing > Notable WikiScandals > The Essjay affair
the fieryangel
Read all about it!

(You get an annoying popup asking you to subscribe, but you can just close it and read the article....and the COMMENTS - "Wikipedia is corrupt from the head down" AMEN sister!)
Duke53
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 4th March 2007, 8:37am) *

Read all about it!

(You get an annoying popup asking you to subscribe, but you can just close it and read the article....and the COMMENTS - "Wikipedia is corrupt from the head down" AMEN sister!)

Wales has had (in my eyes) a credibility problem for a while now, ever since he tried to re-write the story of how Wikipedia actually was started. And, of course, for his editing of the Jimbo Wales article, which is a big no-no for any subject of an article.

High schools up this way have been instituting wholesale bans on using WP as a 'source' for term papers and essays ... rightfully so, AFAIC. If the boss of an organization will play fast and free with the truth, why would anybody expect the rest of his crew to adhere to it?

It will be interesting to see how the endgame to this little drama plays out; the infighting between the two factions may be epic in proportion. We should start a pool, betting on how many editors from each side quit WP in indignation.

anon1234
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 4th March 2007, 8:37am) *
[color=tomato]
Read all about it!

It is significant. I linked to this story 2 days ago in this post.
the fieryangel
Thanks, Anon! That's a great collection there

It's at places like this that WP is going to take the greatest blows....I suspect that it'll get worse and worse. Look for a complete ban of WP in academic work among educational institutions in the US and Europe....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.