Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: German Wikipedia receives state funding - Heise Online
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Google News

German Wikipedia receives state funding
Heise Online, Germany - 20 minutes ago
For the first time, the German edition of the open Internet encyclopedia Wikipedia will be receiving state funding. Germany will be setting aside part of ...
thekohser
QUOTE(Google News @ Tue 26th June 2007, 6:19am) *

For the first time, the German edition of the open Internet encyclopedia Wikipedia will be receiving state funding. Germany will be setting aside part of ...

Entries on this topic are to be improved under the direction of the private-sector Nova Institute. The Institute plans to get external experts to write entries on renewable resources for Wikipedia. These experts will first receive training for Wikipedia because collaboration in the community project has its pitfalls. The Institute is therefore looking for someone well versed in Wikipedia to handle project coordination. The project partners have issued a call for tenders for that position. Wikipedia experts can send in their applications immediately.

I can't imagine anyone more perfect for the "someone well versed in Wikipedia to handle project coordination" than the founder of Wikipedia Review. I understand he's even of German descent and took 3 years of German in high school!

What does the WR think? Should he contact the Nova Institute?

Greg
JohnA
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th June 2007, 1:49pm) *

QUOTE(Google News @ Tue 26th June 2007, 6:19am) *

Entries on this topic are to be improved under the direction of the private-sector Nova Institute. The Institute plans to get external experts to write entries on renewable resources for Wikipedia. These experts will first receive training for Wikipedia because collaboration in the community project has its pitfalls. The Institute is therefore looking for someone well versed in Wikipedia to handle project coordination. The project partners have issued a call for tenders for that position. Wikipedia experts can send in their applications immediately.

I can't imagine anyone more perfect for the "someone well versed in Wikipedia to handle project coordination" than the founder of Wikipedia Review. I understand he's even of German descent and took 3 years of German in high school!

What does the WR think? Should he contact the Nova Institute?

Greg

Yes, if only to tell them not to bother. It will get reverted by idiots and the experts will be harassed until they are banned.
Jonny Cache
I dunno, just from sampling here and there I get the sense that neither the French nor the German Wikipedias are anywhere near as bats as the Mad Dogs And English One.

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
This is old news. Although maybe i shouldn't have hijacked the news to talk about thing that I always talk about.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 26th June 2007, 8:51pm) *

This is old news. Although maybe i shouldn't have hijacked the news to talk about thing that I always talk about.

I'm upset. I guess that I didn't speak to enough people. I'll try better next time.....I can't belive that they actually funded that....
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 26th June 2007, 8:45pm) *

I dunno, just from sampling here and there I get the sense that neither the French nor the German Wikipedias are anywhere near as bats as the Mad Dogs And English One.

Jonny cool.gif

Here is an interesting EN and DE comparison, if you haven't read it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.