Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meet Sunsplash
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Herschelkrustofsky
Just a hunch... I think that SV may be using this account to edit.

Yep... the more I look at the fixation on LaRouche, the blitzkrieg editing style, plus the more I apply my Finely Honed Linguistic Analytic Skillsâ„¢, the more convinced I am.
Derktar
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 3:42pm) *

Yep... the more I look at the fixation on LaRouche, the blitzkrieg editing style, plus the more I apply my Finely Honed Linguistic Analytic Skillsâ„¢, the more convinced I am.

Interesting indeed
Herschelkrustofsky
We'll be following this with interest. And already the fun begins!
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Derktar @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:48pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 3:42pm) *

Interesting indeed

It seems to me the worst blow suffered by prominent users reduced to using SPAs is the loss of social networking clout. The best way to mess with them is to engage them in a confrontational manner or to outright drag them into contentious processes. It should be interesting to see who comes to their aid.
guy
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:42pm) *

Yep... the more I look at the fixation on LaRouche, the blitzkrieg editing style, plus the more I apply my Finely Honed Linguistic Analytic Skills?äó, the more convinced I am.

Are they living in Canada in a similar way?äó? And can we prove that they have or haven't edited at the same time (either being proof of identity)?
jorge
So how many of these throwaway accounts does she have?
Castle Rock
QUOTE(jorge @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:13pm) *

Probably not very many, if she's using an account created less than a month ago. Maybe if she had been better prepared she could've had more accounts with actual identities.
Kato
Why is this not a CBerlet sockpuppet rather than SV? That would seem as plausible?
jorge
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:17am) *

Probably not very many, if she's using an account created less than a month ago. Maybe if she had been better prepared she could've had more accounts with actual identities.

That one was clearly easy to spot if you are looking at the right articles. I wonder why SV seems to have an obsession with water?

SP1: SweetBlueWater
SP2: SunSplash

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:19am) *

Why is this not a CBerlet sockpuppet rather than SV? That would seem as plausible?

You can see SV language in the edit summaries.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:17pm) *

I don't think it's SV. Unless she's decided to start using the word "tidying" to divert people who have cunning linguistic skilz.

I wonder where Virgin's "Candi" went....
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...v&oldid=7358780

...after all, Candi became Sarah...who really was [redacted LOL]....I'm sure she'd never resort to, ahem, deception or diversions. That Sweet Blue Water thing must have been a figment of Cyde's imagination, right? Cyde must have been just being mean, trying to "attack" SV, who is innocent. Of everything.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:19pm) *

Nope. Here are several dead-giveaways:

1. An edit summary where she says "we don't need this in the intro" -- speaking in the royal "we" is a SV trademark.

2. Blanking her user talk page with edit summary "blanked page" -- Cberlet would be more verbose and melodramatic

3. She's especially fixated on Jeremiah Duggan, Ken Kronberg, and the Schiller Institute -- Berlet has other fixations at the moment.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:30pm) *

1. An edit summary where she says "we don't need this in the intro" -- speaking in the royal "we" is a SV trademark.

2. Blanking her user talk page with edit summary "blanked page" -- Cberlet would be more verbose and melodramatic

3. She's especially fixated on Jeremiah Duggan, Ken Kronberg, and the Schiller Institute -- Berlet has other fixations at the moment.

Let's say it is. Isn't editing "sockpuppet" template placements on other's user pages something for only admins to do? shouldn't such things be done under an admins' primary username, and not a sockpuppet?

Even an approved sockpuppet should not be doing admin things.
jorge
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:29am) *

I've got an open mind about the tidying - got any diffs?

SV using tidying:

here, here, here, here, here, and here.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:30pm) *

Chip's verbosity is only surpassed by the size of his ego, I doubt that he could hide his nature in for any longer than one revert.
Piperdown
QUOTE(jorge @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:36pm) *

SV using tidying:

Bingo!

SS=SV

And she's using a sockpuppet to do admin stuff (sock template editing on userpages).

Not good, SV, not good.

PS: I picture SV to be a Kate Bushian. Once added in a "cloudbusting" phrase into an applicable BLP. Right age, right 80's demographic. Drama Queen.

SV's still running up that wikihill....
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:38pm) *

SV using tidying:

Bingo!

SS=SV

And she's using a sockpuppet to do admin stuff (sock template editing on userpages).

Not good, SV, not good.

Sock templates isn't an admin only job, and never has been.
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:30am) *

You're right. A tell tale sign for the future is this kind of thing on a talk page : "Please don't obscure this issue...", "Please don't try and change this...", "Please don't pretend that...", "Please don't try to hide your..." . Placing some intention on another editor from her own imagination. Funnily enough, Jayjg used to do that as well.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:39pm) *

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Tue 16th October 2007, 4:38pm) *

SV using tidying:

Bingo!

SS=SV

Not good, SV, not good.

Sock templates isn't an admin only job, and never has been.

Makes sense. Throwing around sockpuppet accusations without any proof is the right of all WP'ians, not just those who could actually prove it, lol.
Herschelkrustofsky
In case there are any remaining skeptics, Sunsplash is also tinkering with the LaRouche template, which is OWNed in perpetuity by SlimVirgin.
jorge
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:54am) *

In case there are any remaining skeptics, Sunsplash is also tinkering with the LaRouche template, which is OWNed in perpetuity by SlimVirgin.

Can anyone explain to me why she is obsessed with water? Is there some connection to that Javanese mythological mumbo jimbo?
Piperdown
QUOTE(jorge @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:58pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:54am) *

Can anyone explain to me why she is obsessed with water? Is there some connection to that Javanese mythological mumbo jimbo?

Actually, sunsplash doesn't refer to water, it refers to sunshine itself. Am I right, other more well-versed WR'ians? That's been my real world experience with the word, in several contexts.
jorge
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 17th October 2007, 1:00am) *

QUOTE(jorge @ Tue 16th October 2007, 11:58pm) *

Actually, sunsplash doesn't refer to water, it refers to sunshine itself. Am I right, other more well-versed WR'ians? That's been my real world experience with the word, in several contexts.

First link I get:

Sunsplash Public Wet Clothing
Offering non-nude public wet clothing videos.

http://www.sunsplash.supanet.com/public.html
Piperdown
And of course Slim's right hand man (or woman?) Crum comes to the rescue on a page that Crum would not have on a watchlist for any reason other than knowing that it is SV's sock beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

After all, the two admins are in close communicado off-wiki. Crum does the SV userpage delete and restore shenanigan like a submission chimp picking nits off the momma chimp. Especially when daddy Jayjg is out of oversight range. Right, Crum?

This just in: Crummy plays the "I'm being repressed!!! I'm a victim too! " card with his/her userpage picture (also known as the SV cabal method of filling up your userpage that should be used for messages, not irrelevant pictures, and giving you another excuse to archive away more often!). Next upgrade for Crummy will be floating GIFs (some nude!) that block "buttons" on edit summaries on the top of user talk pages - just for the sheer hell of being annoying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Crum375
blissyu2
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=165071446

:Yawn. This isn't the world shaking event you imagine it to be.

It sounds like a lot of people knew about this in advance.

Also Sunsplash on their user page has added the template "Legitimate use of alternative accounts", to indicate that it is a sock account.

I think we can pretty much verify it. Except that she still has plausible deniability on her side.
WordBomb
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 6:42pm) *

The dead giveaway that this is a Slim sock is the use of the word "tidied" in her edit summaries. That's a trademark.

WB edit: Crap. Just saw someone else already posted about this. Sorry. Admin feel free to delete this post.
blissyu2
Even the obligatory welcome page got deleted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=160758119

For the record, this is a list of their latest contributions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...arget=Sunsplash

In summary:

Created on 27 September 2007 with User:Sunsplash and User:Sunsplash/sandbox

Next edit on 15 October 2007. Bundles of edits, all to LaRouche from 15-17 October 2007, to many pages that few others would dare touch, and if they did they'd soon be reverted.

So there's only a handful of people that it could be.

I think that this is pretty safe.

Also she took advantage of the time limit on moving to wait until she could move pages before editing a lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&user=Sunsplash
everyking
To get something done about this, we'd have to demonstrate that this sock is being used abusively. Is there anything to indicate that?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 16th October 2007, 7:13pm) *

To get something done about this, we'd have to demonstrate that this sock is being used abusively. Is there anything to indicate that?

It's clearly an SPA, created for the purpose of concealing the identity of an admin with a history of POV pushing in the LaRouche articles.
Mr. Mystery
Hey ya'll,

I've never had a reason to post here, but I am one of many Wikipedians who have been observing and admiring your efforts from afar, and I thought I'd say thanks. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that reducing a Wikipedian of SV's stature to sockpuppeting to take care of minor maintenance & POV issues, along with the disappearance of other associated editors, is surely a sign of major progress in the ongoing campaign against the Cabal, which continues on many fronts. How long, I wonder, before their collective absence is taken as a sign of bad faith in itself, as Denny Colt's was, and they are all plainly referred to on-site and in the past tense as psychotic trolls whose only virtue was in how well they gamed the system? Of course, it was this cabal that turned against Denny, who left after serving them too well, so it may never happen unless some other dominant cabal develops.

It all goes back to Jimbo, however. Still, I and many others on WP I am sure appreciate your ongoing efforts, if we cannot openly say so just yet. biggrin.gif

Derktar
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Tue 16th October 2007, 7:37pm) *

Hey ya'll,

I've never had a reason to post here, but I am one of many Wikipedians who have been observing and admiring your efforts from afar, and I thought I'd say thanks. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that reducing a Wikipedian of SV's stature to sockpuppeting to take care of minor maintenance & POV issues, along with the disappearance of other associated editors, is surely a sign of major progress in the ongoing campaign against the Cabal, which continues on many fronts. How long, I wonder, before their collective absence is taken as a sign of bad faith in itself, as Denny Colt's was, and they are all plainly referred to on-site and in the past tense as psychotic trolls whose only virtue was in how well they gamed the system? Of course, it was this cabal that turned against Denny, who left after serving them too well, so it may never happen unless some other dominant cabal develops.

It all goes back to Jimbo, however. Still, I and many others on WP I am sure appreciate your ongoing efforts, if we cannot openly say so just yet. :D

Welcome aboard Mr. Mystery, we look forward to any insight you can bring us.
Your words are also encouraging, unfortunately as you said, the battle exists on many fronts, sometimes against many opponents.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 16th October 2007, 7:13pm) *

Go into its oldest contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...arget=Sunsplash

After about 10 or so edits that could be done in one but the account stretched it out into about 10, the account tags a bunch of krusty socks. Then the account messes around where most new accounts would be banned and reverted from editing. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=164796497

Revision history of Category:Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Herschelkrustofsky
(cur) (last) 20:34, 15 October 2007 Sunsplash (Talk | contribs) (657 bytes) (tidied) (undo)
(cur) (last) 01:27, 27 July 2007 Jayjg (Talk | contribs) m (814 bytes) (see also) (undo)
(cur) (last) 11:19, 19 April 2007 Woohookitty (Talk | contribs) (undo)
(cur) (last) 01:06, 11 April 2007 SlimVirgin (Talk | contribs) (link) (undo)
(cur) (last) 00:12, 11 April 2007 SlimVirgin (Talk | contribs) (tweak) (undo)
(cur) (last) 00:08, 11 April 2007 SlimVirgin (Talk | contribs) (link) (undo)
(cur) (last) 23:56, 10 April 2007 SlimVirgin (Talk | contribs) (created page)

Account Sunsplash then goes around tagging IPs that haven't edited since 2004 as krusty socks.

If someone files a request for checkuser on Sunsplash, they'd be declined as it's fishing. But if you're buddy with someone like Jayjg, then Jajyg will go fishing and ban everyone using any similar IP address the account has ever used.

blissyu2
Yeah, if I did that, or anyone else did that, you'd get banned, or at least a warning. More likely an indef ban.

Ergo, not only is this a SlimVirgin sock, but it is a sock that is approved before it did any of this.
Daniel Brandt
Any "linguistic analysis" experts may find the 59,002-line edit summary file I compiled a couple months ago useful. It is described here (bottom of that first post in that thread I started).

I count 1094 edit summaries with the word "tidied" in them, from 2004-11-30 to 2007-08-05. That's about one use per day, for almost three years.

With all that tidying, you'd think that SlimVirgin would be all washed up by now.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Mr. Mystery @ Tue 16th October 2007, 7:37pm) *

Hey ya'll,

It all goes back to Jimbo, however. Still, I and many others on WP I am sure appreciate your ongoing efforts, if we cannot openly say so just yet. biggrin.gif

An auspicious debut.

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 16th October 2007, 8:02pm) *

Note also that the account is created on September 27, which is basically the last editing day for SlimVirgin. She came out of cyber-seclusion briefly on the 30th just to vote against Kelly Martin. So basically, on the day she stopped regular editing, she also created the sock which she planned to return with -- validating all the cynics who doubted that she would really leave.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th October 2007, 10:58pm) *

We'll be following this with interest. And already the fun begins!

The "fun" started by User:HelenHochwasser. Ms. Hochwasser's "other" edit is pretty funny too....
LamontStormstar
See http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=165090479

Who is IP 68.214.75.69 that reverted the note to Cyde?

Then SirFozzie does what got Everyking banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=165090479
guy
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 17th October 2007, 10:04am) *

He's already done that, hasn't he? I mean, post on WR.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 17th October 2007, 2:27am) *

No, that's what got him desysopped. I meant the week ban he got for keeping banned peopole's stuff on his talk page.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 17th October 2007, 9:04am) *

Who is IP 68.214.75.69 that reverted the note to Cyde?

Interesting : See this diff User:Stroynaya_Deva was blocked by User:Rx Strangelove . Could this be that account's IP? It's possible, because otherwise, why would he or she add the tag?

here's another edit by that IP

Does this relate to Rx Strangelove? Somebody obviously keeps forgetting to log in...

The IP traces to Atlanta.
everyking
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 17th October 2007, 10:31am) *

QUOTE(guy @ Wed 17th October 2007, 2:27am) *

No, that's what got him desysopped. I meant the week ban he got for keeping banned peopole's stuff on his talk page.

I don't understand, how is identifying a sockpuppet comparable to seeking discretion over non-offensive comments that get posted to my own user talk page?

Edit: Never mind, I see now, he was restoring a comment from someone who had already been banned.
KamrynMatika
It's funny how when browsing Wikipedia you come across editors that just pop up out of thin air with a complete knowledge of policies. See User:Odd nature who turned up in April and on his tenth or so edit was reporting people to ANI. And he seems to be watchign Jayjg's talk page as seen here. There are so many sockpuppets and false people on Wikipedia that I no longer care who is behind an individual account. If the account is being abusive, ban it on its own merit, but don't start witchunts to find other accounts.

And reviewing Sunsplash's contributions shows very little evidence of abuse so I'm inclined to shrug and say 'who cares?'. I don't think it's an issue.

P.S. If it really is SV, I expect the choice of name is less to do with water than choosing names which are feminine/nice-sounding (after all, Candi couldn't play the damsel in distress with a name like 'Derick', could she?)
Piperdown
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:31pm) *

It's funny how when browsing Wikipedia you come across editors that just pop up out of thin air with a complete knowledge of policies. See User:Odd nature who turned up in April and on his tenth or so edit was reporting people to ANI. And he seems to be watchign Jayjg's talk page as seen here. There are so many sockpuppets and false people on Wikipedia that I no longer care who is behind an individual account. If the account is being abusive, ban it on its own merit, but don't start witchunts to find other accounts.

And reviewing Sunsplash's contributions shows very little evidence of abuse so I'm inclined to shrug and say 'who cares?'. I don't think it's an issue.

Sure its an issue.

Instead of banning SlimVirgin from WP, she was given a backroom pass to emerge under another name(s).

How many here were given that option?

How many here didn't even break any WP rules (which SlimVirgin did, in spades, along with Jayjg and Mantanmoreland's sockfarm) and were banned by SV and her friends.

It's all about the community.

Community = the Wikipedia Closed Circle of Wagons
KamrynMatika
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 17th October 2007, 1:37pm) *

Sure its an issue.

Instead of banning SlimVirgin from WP, she was given a backroom pass to emerge under another name(s).

How many here didn't even break any WP rules (which SlimVirgin did, in spades, along with Jayjg and Mantanmoreland's sockfarm) and were banned by SV and her friends.

The world's unfair. Whatcha gonna do?
Piperdown
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 17th October 2007, 12:41pm) *

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 17th October 2007, 1:37pm) *

Sure its an issue.

The world's unfair. Whatcha gonna do?

Use WP to correct itself. Reliable sources.

Reliable Sources are learning more about how WP ~currently~ "works" all the time.

Oh My News evolves into Oh Shit news events for the WP fascists du jours.
thekohser
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 17th October 2007, 8:31am) *

It's funny how when browsing Wikipedia you come across editors that just pop up out of thin air with a complete knowledge of policies. See User:Odd nature who turned up in April and on his tenth or so edit was reporting people to ANI. And he seems to be watchign Jayjg's talk page as seen here.

It appears that User:Odd nature's third edit was to create an article about The Slowskys (a Comcast ad campaign), and then the next edit was to the article about Goodby Silverstein & Partners.

I work for Comcast! I interact with the account team at Goodby about every week! User:Odd nature must be ME!!!

Block it! Ban it! Courtesy exterminate that account!

Greg
jorge
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 17th October 2007, 1:31pm) *

If the account is being abusive, ban it on its own merit, but don't start witchunts to find other accounts.

P.S. If it really is SV, I expect the choice of name is less to do with water than choosing names which are feminine/nice-sounding (after all, Candi couldn't play the damsel in distress with a name like 'Derick', could she?)

Kamryn, that way of thinking doesn't really work as an account may seem perfectly reasonable and polite and seem to be playing by all the rules but is in fact using multiple sockpuppets to control an article's content or voting to delete something/ban someone/promote someone to sysop/arbcom etc.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Wed 17th October 2007, 5:37am) *

An astute observation. We can do our part by blowing the whistle -- our readership includes plenty of admins and other senior Wikipedians. Once everyone knows who Sunsplash is, it sort of defeats the purpose of this Witness Protection Program-style indentity change, doesn't it? And note that it took us less than 24 hours to catch on, once Sunsplash began to edit.
SirFozzie
I have no idea if Sunsplash is or is not SV. Right now, I don't particularly care if it is or not (between working on a new Wiki-like-project that I think folks here would be interested in, (not sure I can talk about it now), and trying to get The Troubles ArbCom to finally cross the finish line).. but an IP removing info from someone's talk page I had watchlisted? I'll revert that if I see it. That's all that's my involvement in this.
Jonny Cache
The only thing that surprises me is that some Wikipediot Revuers are still naive enough to believe that Wikipedia has any rules that apply with equal justice across the board, but just by way of keeping a few handy links on hand:

Special:Contributions/Sunsplash

Wannabe Kate's Tool (See Also BDSM) Edit Summary

Jonny cool.gif
blissyu2
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 17th October 2007, 11:31pm) *

There are so many sockpuppets and false people on Wikipedia that I no longer care who is behind an individual account. If the account is being abusive, ban it on its own merit, but don't start witchunts to find other accounts.

First off, for reasons stated in this thread, it very obviously is SlimVirgin. Just for editing LaRouche like that there are only a handful of people it could possibly be (Chip Berlet is about the only other one). As for whether it is "used abusively", what do you think about tagging accounts as sock puppets when they haven't been used for over 3 years? Isn't that abusive? This account clearly is being used abusively.

You are right, however, that SV likes to play damsel in distress. Perhaps more than any other person that we know of. Feminine but not overly sexy/slutty. She wants guys to think that she is sweet and innocent and needs their assistance.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that more women aren't upset about SV. People who behave like that generally get hated by women everywhere, while guys just seem to be blinded by their desire to help out the poor damsel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.