Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WQ Harassment of Crum375
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Pages: 1, 2
Gold heart
QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 15th September 2008, 3:57am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 14th September 2008, 10:03pm) *

So fixed, now, yes, even without Crum375 having to register this name as an SUL?

It is registered as an SUL. That's presumably how Crum375 found the problem, when he went to unify, there were two accounts that did not get unified because they did not match passwords/emails. This was one of them, but now that it's renamed out of the way, the next time he goes to en:wq while logged in globally, it will be created again there, belonging to him, and until then, it's now reserved. So, all sorted. He need not ever go there again, in fact, but no one can use it. (that's one of the beauties of SUL, once you unify, you're protected against impersonation everywhere... I unified all my socks as soon as I could)

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 14th September 2008, 10:44pm) *

I am truly amazed that he as Quillercouch still has admin privileges on WQ to do it with, but I can't argue with the rename action itself. One small/tiny bit of damage undone. Though it leaves Quillercouch with one more sock, named Scotsman, to be sure. wacko.gif Or did I miss something there also?

Correct... if it was a concern PL could be asked to cede control of it to someone else.

But would somebody like to explain to me why somebody else can't still go back on WQ and create a Crum375 account?

Because that's not how SUL works.

What's SUL?? huh.gif
Lar
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Sun 14th September 2008, 11:00pm) *

What's SUL?? huh.gif

Technically? It's a mediawiki extension. This may help.

Practically? It's been a lot more work for Stewards... but also it makes a lot of things better and easier for everyone.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 14th September 2008, 7:57pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 14th September 2008, 10:03pm) *

So fixed, now, yes, even without Crum375 having to register this name as an SUL?

It is registered as an SUL. That's presumably how Crum375 found the problem, when he went to unify, there were two accounts that did not get unified because they did not match passwords/emails. This was one of them, but now that it's renamed out of the way, the next time he goes to en:wq while logged in globally, it will be created again there, belonging to him, and until then, it's now reserved.

Ah, I see. So since an SUL already, fixes itself automatically as soon as all blocks are removed, which this last one now has been, by Quillercouch. Thanx.

Shalom
I just tried to create an account for Crum375 on Wikiquote and was unable to (WP:BEANS). So if you don't believe in how SUL works, just try it and you'll see.

In the WP:BEANS department, SUL won't prevent you from vandalizing the userpage of an editor you dislike on a different project.
The Joy
QUOTE(Shalom @ Mon 15th September 2008, 12:55am) *

I just tried to create an account for Crum375 on Wikiquote and was unable to (WP:BEANS). So if you don't believe in how SUL works, just try it and you'll see.

In the WP:BEANS department, SUL won't prevent you from vandalizing the userpage of an editor you dislike on a different project.

So if do the SUL thing and my account name happens to be that of a Grawp-like vandal causing pain on the Armenian, Kurdish, and Swahili Wikipedias, am I screwed?
Shalom
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 15th September 2008, 1:21am) *

So if do the SUL thing and my account name happens to be that of a Grawp-like vandal causing pain on the Armenian, Kurdish, and Swahili Wikipedias, am I screwed?

Only if the folks at Kurdish, Armenian and Swahili Wikipedians care to make a fuss on English Wikipedia. I was thinking more about creating a page on Swahili Wikipedia to say English Wikipedia admin [insert name here] is [insert insult here].
Random832
QUOTE(Shalom @ Mon 15th September 2008, 5:44am) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 15th September 2008, 1:21am) *

Only if the folks at Kurdish, Armenian and Swahili Wikipedians care to make a fuss on English Wikipedia.

Actually, I think it's not possible to merge accounts at all if someone else controls an account with the same name with more edits than any account you control - you'd have to arrange for them to be renamed (whereas in this case there was no trouble merging the accounts - the other one was just left unmerged)
anthony
QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 15th September 2008, 2:57am) *

I unified all my socks as soon as I could

Yes, it's much better to unify your socks straight out of the dryer, rather than trying to match them up when you're late for work.

I usually get my wife to unify my socks, though.
The Joy
QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 15th September 2008, 11:24am) *

Meatpuppetry!?! ohmy.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 15th September 2008, 8:24am) *

Yes, it's much better to unify your socks straight out of the dryer, rather than trying to match them up when you're late for work.

That must be helpful. Mrs. Arnold Palmer was once on the Johnny Carson show, and was asked if there was any thing she did to help her husband's golf performance. She said yes, she kissed his balls. Johnny Carson was unable to help himself on the retort and I believe she sued him. Settled out of court for undisclosed sum. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.