Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Herschelkrustofsky ban revisited
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 6:13pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 5:57pm) *

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 4:32pm) *
But also the backgrounds don't match -- the big blue cranes are missing from the smaller photo. My hypothesis: the photos are of opposite sides of the statue, which would have English on two opposing sides, and Chinese on the others. The word placement on the English sides could then be slightly different.

http://www.ldz.gov.cn/pics/073.jpg indicates there is chinese on two adjacent sides. It'd be unusual to have nearly (but not quite) identical english messages on the other two sides, wouldn't it?

http://www.ldz.gov.cn/english/pics_en_big.asp?bpid=280 Also shows a similar viewpoint.

It would not surprise me that the statue was genuine and the wording was faked. There is nothing odd about marking the start of a trans-continental rail route, even if it is with some spare old statue left lying around from some other revolutionary site or other. Indeed, taking a disjointed set of transport links and joining them together with a name is pretty much standard operating practice, like the European E routes. It doesn't really represent any significant development or investment other than printing the odd timetable so I am totally unclear as to what these photos would actually prove other than someone likes the idea of a rail link from east to west.

Apologies if someone's already said this, I haven't followed the whole of this thread – but the map on the official website shows a route from China to France; isn't it more likely that this monument marks the proposed end of a road route from China to Europe (which would explain the "Eurasia" name) and that the convergence with LaRouche's plan is conicidental? (Note: I have absolutely no opinion on LaRouche or shipping)?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 6:23pm) *

Apologies if someone's already said this, I haven't followed the whole of this thread – but the map on the official website shows a route from China to France; isn't it more likely that this monument marks the proposed end of a road route from China to Europe (which would explain the "Eurasia" name) and that the convergence with LaRouche's plan is conicidental? (Note: I have absolutely no opinion on LaRouche or shipping)?

http://www.ldz.gov.cn/english/inv_traf_2.asp on the same site suggests it is a rail link - but I agree on the coincidence, especially as LaRouche appear to their plans in terms of MagLev and so on.

Changing the subject slightly, but MagLev is never going to be a winner if you use energy simply to offset gravity. I was not aware that friction in wheels was so great that it was going to be more energy efficient to lift a load by magnetism to propel it forward with reduced friction - especially when you think about heavy freight loads. MagLev in the UK was developed in an era of infinite and nearly free clean nuclear power.

I get the feeling that La Rouche and L Ron Hubbard would have got on very well.
gomi
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 10:09am) *
Meanwhile, SlimVirgin, Will Beback and Leatherstocking are duking it out right now on this very issue.

I take no position on the underlying issue, but it is with great amusement that I read this:
Self-published and questionable sources may be used in articles about themselves, but only for non-contentious, non-self-serving issues, per WP:SPS i.e. so long as:

1. the material is not unduly self-serving;
2. it does not involve claims about third parties;
3. it does not involve claims about events not directly related to the subject;
4. there is no reasonable doubt as to its authenticity;
5. the article is not based primarily on such sources.
SlimVirgin 01:06, 21 June 2009 (UTC)

I cannot wait to see the fireworks when someone has the balls to use that argument against Slim's many, many inclusions of controversial self-published material in her animal-rights articles. What an astonishingly brazen hypocrite she is!
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 4:57pm) *

http://www.ldz.gov.cn/pics/073.jpg indicates there is chinese on two adjacent sides. It'd be unusual to have nearly (but not quite) identical english messages on the other two sides, wouldn't it?

Doesn't matter because we've already run out of possible sides:

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 4:52pm) *

2. Note the rails...

Thanks for the tip.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 6:36pm) *

Changing the subject slightly, but MagLev is never going to be a winner if you use energy simply to offset gravity. I was not aware that friction in wheels was so great that it was going to be more energy efficient to lift a load by magnetism to propel it forward with reduced friction - especially when you think about heavy freight loads. MagLev in the UK was developed in an era of infinite and nearly free clean nuclear power.

As I understand it the advantage of maglev isn't the energy saving, but the easier acceleration and higher maximum speed, and a reduced risk of derailment (crack in a rail at high speed = trainwreck; crack in an electromagnet at high speed = momentum carries the train on to the next coil unscathed). I'd imagine that somewhere with very flat terrain and a lot of sunlight a network of solar-powered electromagnetic tracks could pay for itself by reducing the need for air traffic; IIRC Bush actually proposed such a thing when he was Governor of Texas.
Somey
Like I was sort-of saying before, the main thing here is that the landbridge project itself is real, even if it's only just now getting off the ground. Frankly, I suppose that if I'm one of the leaders of this particular Chinese city, or of the LaRouche Organization, and I have a choice between using Photoshop to add an English translation of the Chinese inscription on a Terminus monument vs. having potential investors (not to mention political leaders and even voters) who mostly can't read Chinese just see a big anchor on a pedestal with a Chinese inscription on it, I'd probably add the English inscription too. I might also add Photoshopped Hindi, Turkish, Persian, Farsi, and Greek inscriptions in other "versions," just to ensure maximum confusion.

OTOH, if I were trying to get the US/UK governments to buy in, I'd definitely leave the photo alone... smile.gif

If Slimmy and Will Beback use this as an excuse for keeping all mention of the project out of Wikipedia, that's a very small price to pay - most of the countries on the landbridge route aren't going to be reading the English language Wikipedia anyway, so the biggest risk as far as WP is concerned is that Slimmy & Co. are going to take the trouble to learn one of the aforementioned languages just for the sake of carrying the anti-LaRouche campaign onto the Wikipedias for those languages. And even then, people in those countries probably aren't likely to care one way or the other. They might have heard of LaRouche and might even be somewhat wary of him, but he doesn't carry anything like the baggage he does in the US and the UK.

It could even be that the LaRouche folks could use this to their advantage, though I doubt it would occur to them to even bother - IOW, they could say that the "Western oligarchies" want to suppress the project in order to keep land-locked Asian countries poor and isolated, and for evidence, "look how they're even trying to expunge any mention of it from the internet."
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 11th April 2009, 3:16pm) *

I am posting this in response to comments made by Hell Freezes Over in some recent threads.

9 days ago, this page at Wikipedia was deleted. Don't ask me why. It provided a useful chronology of how I was driven off the project. It included a description of my role in the Nobs01 and others arbcom case. I was the only respondent who was not named in the proposed findings of fact. If I had kept my mouth shut, nothing would have happened to me. Because I insisted on speaking out, asserting that the penalties doled out by the arbcom were inequitable (Cberlet was "cautioned," others who had committed comparable offenses were blocked or placed on probation,) I was place on indefinite probation. Fred Bauder justified this decision in the following way:
15) In view of the dissatisfaction expressed by Herschelkrustofsky with the decisions reached in this case, and the apparent lack of insight into any role his own behavior played in the creation and aggravation of the problems which gave rise to this case, he is placed indefinitely on Wikipedia:Probation.
Since this was a little too obvious, Raul654 covered the tracks with this edit.

This action set the stage for what followed. Slim and Will Beback began wikistalking me to various articles, accusing me of adding ideas which they alleged were similar to ideas advocated at one time or another by LaRouche (see Searching for LaRouche under the bed.) They were assisted by 172 (T-C-L-K-R-D) in setting a trap for me (into which I foolishly walked) at Synarchism (T-H-L-K-D). The article did not mention LaRouche, until 172 added a bunch of defamatory crap about LaRouche, which I should have ignored, because the article has probably been read by about six people. But, I removed it, and was charged with "editing a LaRouche-related article," in violation of probation. I protested that it was not a LaRouche-related article, and Slim's response was [paraphrase]"It is now."[/paraphrase]

Now, you can still read this page, some great stuff which I excerpted from the ANI board. The admin who deleted my user page missed it. Hurry! Also, as a sort of postscript, this one, extracted from User talk:SlimVirgin.

That's great blast-from-2006 stuff, Hershel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Her...lkrustofsky/anb wink.gif

Though by now in 2009, when history and the language has changed, it needs some translation:

[1] Statement by User:174. Hi! I'm user:174. I'm Russian historian! I feel need to add unsourced comments about Lyndon LaRouche's views to pages that have nothing to do with LaRouche. I feel safe in this, because I know no one will block me for advancing a "POV." On the contrary, when such comments are removed by Hershelkrustofsky, THAT will be POV. As decreed by SlimVirgin. These become LaRouche articles as soon as I add LaRouche material. It doesn't have to be sourced, or even correct. Nobody checks! Nobody cares! What a place WP is.

BTW, in a few years I'll be leaving Wikipedia, posting a copy of somebody else's rant: One simple fact that must be accepted as the basis for any intellectual work is that truth – whatever definition of that word you may subscribe to – is not democratically determined. And another is that talent, whether for soccer or for exposition, is not equally distributed across the population, while a robust confidence is one's own views apparently is. If there is a systemic bias in Wikipedia, it is to have ignored so far these inescapable facts. Hey, I just noticed this. But now, in 2006, I can act to advance this sort of systemic problem with WP myself, using unsourced edits that reflect my own biases. Without feeling guilty. Hey, I don't have a time machine.

[2] Statement by Cberlet. Hi, I'm Chip Berlet. I've been warring with HK. I've only been warned for my POV additions by Arbcom, whereas he got topic banned. Why? I kiss major ass. You see, I have great people-skills, like Mantanmoreland (who fooled Durova, QED). That means when you agree with people all the time in public, they like you! Yes, they do. In a couple of years I'll be leaving WP myself, in a snit bacause may ass is not being kissed back. Obviously some people here do NOT have people skills. hrmph.gif Ungrateful SOBs. But meanwhile, I'm deviling HK in 2006. I don't have a time machine.

[3] Statement by Jayjg. Hi! I've recently determined by a use of my shiney new checkuser power that user:BirdsOfFire, who HK asked to look at the user:174 addition statement about LaRouche, is using the same IP range (though not the same IP) as HK. So they're both editing with AOL out of LA in a similar way. So SlimVirgin is indef bocking BirdsOfFire as a sock of HK. Because HK asked him to look at something, and he disagreed with user:174's unsourced addition. That's meat-puppetry! Even if it is not sock puppetry. We don't like it when people disagree with us, and agree with HK. Clearly they are socks or meats and must go from the project. Doesn't matter who FIreBird is, even if not HK; this puppy is gone. I'm an uninvolved admin, inasmuch as I've never heard of LaRouche, or his views of the Jews, and I hardly know SlimVirgin, so it doesn't get much more objective than that.

N.B. In a few years I'll have checkuser taken away from me because nobody trusts me with it. You bastards. mad.gif But right now, it's 2006 and nobody here has a time machine to foresee that.

[4] Hi, I'm SlimVirgin. I'm just here making sure HK doesn't insert his POV into articles by removing other people's uncited POVs in articles. That makes sense, doesn't it? We don't even have to worry about the truth of the statement, or its references, since HK has been topic-banned. And this addition of user:174 is on-topic: LaRouche! BirdsOfFire, who doesn't have that many edits and who I just indef blocked as a sock, it's true, hasn't previously been topic-banned, or even warned. But what do you want? Bby virtue of agreeing with HK rather than user:174 and myself, he's a MEAT, and thus bannable.

N.B. In a few years I'll be stripped of my admin bit for Biting Newbies and using my admin powers in service of my POV in disputed articles. But that's years in the future and I don't have a time machine. So nothing to see here.

Slim, CBerlet, 174, Jayjg, altogether: "Here we are in 2006, where anything goes! 2008-9 will suck for all of us as regards WP and our relationship to it, but meanwhile we get to screw HK all we want in 2006. You don't have a time machine, either, so you can't see our futures. Neener." laugh.gif Too bad, HK! We wouldn't be able to do all this 3 years from now, but it's not 3 years from now, now. Now is it? wink.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 7:23pm) *

Like I was sort-of saying before, the main thing here is that the landbridge project itself is real, even if it's only just now getting off the ground.

I have discovered more photos of this monument, which also appears to be real.
http://www.lyggyl.com/attachments/month_09...CTJiLR28riR.jpg
http://blog.cnii.com.cn/batch.download.php?aid=17166
http://blog.cnii.com.cn/attachments/2007/1...11081604051.jpg
http://blog.cnii.com.cn/attachments/2007/1...11081555001.jpg
http://www.nbradio.com/node2/zt/08ggkf/rep...es/00024217.jpg
http://news.eastday.com/c/20080512/images/01273755.jpg

The Chinese inscription I translated above is clearly visible in each of these. However one of the English inscriptions appears to be real too.
http://blog.cnii.com.cn/batch.download.php?aid=17168

This leaves hzlterm.jpg from the shiller institute as the only obvious fake. Could be they needed to compensate for inconveniently photographing Helga on the wrong side of the monument.

However there is one more question to be answered. Despite all these photos, we've still only seen three sides.

*The side facing the rails, on which is written "新亚欧大陆桥东端起点", let's call this the front.
*The side to the right, err... counter-clockwise from that, featuring the wild Cǎoshū scribbles.
*The back side, opposite the rails, with the English inscription "THE EASTERN TERMINAL OF THE\n
NEW EURASIA LANDBRIDGE"

The fourth remains a mystery, but I can almost guarantee it's not a duplicate of the English side, nor anything in Tibetan or Uyghur. dry.gif
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:19am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 6:24am) *

SlimVirgin & Co. probably want folks to believe that the Chinese inscription on the monument actually reads "Dedicated to those who have gone down to the sea in shipping containers,"

For all it's worth my finely honed linguistical analytic skills confirm that this does in fact say:
新亚欧大陆桥东端起点

Literally (word-for-word):
"new Asia Europe big land bridge east end start point"
Damn! Is there no end to the fiendish cleverness of those LaRouche people?
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:34pm) *

Apparently there is an end. The end is when they photoshopped a picture of a landmark to move the inscription and thus make it inconsistent with other photos.

Which wasn't very clever.

Here's a good photoshop story about a Labour politician in the UK.

Congrats to Charlotte and Dogbiscuit for some good debunking. Who needs Captain Disillusion?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 8:19am) *

Hersch,

I'd be more convinced of your "not photoshopped" argument if the wording on the two photos actually matched.

For the inattentive, what is the last word on the first line?

Clue: "of" or "the" - take your pick.

Since we are considering all possible angles on this, let us also consider the element of time. The photo with Helga Zepp-LaRouche standing in front of the monument was taken in 1996. According to the web page where the image is displayed, the inscription at that time was "Eastern Terminal of Eurasia Landbridge." I would not rule out the possibility that the inscription was subsequently changed to include the word "the."

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 1:43pm) *

Apparently there is an end. The end is when they photoshopped a picture of a landmark to move the inscription and thus make it inconsistent with other photos.

To make your accusation consistent, are you also claiming that Google photoshopped their photo as well on the Panoramio site, but did it with a slightly different wording?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 8:57pm) *

To make your accusation consistent, are you also claiming that Google photoshopped their photo as well on the Panoramio site, but did it with a slightly different wording?

Not likely?

I take it you mean this:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/21169483.jpg

The English inscription here is (and the position of the sculpture—anchor, rails, and chain are) consistent with this photo which features what appear to be Chinese construction guys in the foreground:
http://blog.cnii.com.cn/batch.download.php?aid=17168
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 10:23am) *

It's not entirely coincidental. I found this chronology of the LaRouche campaign for the landbridge. It says that the Chinese had their own version of the idea as early as 1993. In 1996 China held a conference to discuss the various proposals, and Helga Zepp-LaRouche was an invited speaker. It was during that trip that the disputed photo was taken. According to a speech by Helga Z-L,
In December 1994, we had the first Schiller Institute conference on the New Silk Road, where Lyn could participate for the first time, in freedom. And we had many seminars, with VIPs from all East European countries. In 1996, there was the International Symposium on Economic Development of the Regions along the New Euro-Asia Continental Bridge, which actually occurred at our suggestion. We had suggested this to the Chinese institutions, almost three years earlier; and there was a tremendous back-and-forth between Sir Leon Brittan, who didn't want the conference to take place, and us, we pushing for it.
Sir Leon ended up attending the conference to speak against the proposal.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 10:23am) *

isn't it more likely that this monument marks the proposed end of a road route from China to Europe

The decor suggests that it (or at least this part of it) is a rail route, ending—or perhaps beginning—in a shipyard amid several stacks of con-ex boxes.
Hipocrite

I would not rule out the possibility that the inscription was subsequently changed to include the word "the."

I would. The "of" goes right to the end in http://www.schillerinstitute.org/graphics/...lga/hzlterm.jpg, and the text certainly appears to be carved into the monument by the lighting in the picture. How would they fit the "the" in there?
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:57pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 1:43pm) *

No. I'm stating that the photograph featured on the LaRouche site here has been doctored. The other photographs are consistent with each other. The LaRouche photo has an inconsistent inscription.

The most likely explanation is, as Charlotte notes, to compensate for inconveniently photographing Helga on the wrong side of the monument.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 2:16pm) *

I would not rule out the possibility that the inscription was subsequently changed to include the word "the."

I would. The "of" goes right to the end in http://www.schillerinstitute.org/graphics/...lga/hzlterm.jpg, and the text certainly appears to be carved into the monument by the lighting in the picture. How would they fit the "the" in there?
According to the article where the photo appeared, there was no "the" at the time the photo was taken. The Chinese could have replaced the entire inscription some time in the past 13 years.

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 2:19pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:57pm) *

No. I'm stating that the photograph featured on the LaRouche site here has been doctored.

What would be the motive? SlimVirgin, of course, was arguing that since there was no such thing as the Eurasian Landbridge, the inscription could not possibly be correct:
SlimVirgin:
Second, she's standing in front of something that has been made to look as though it's a terminal of the Eurasian Land Bridge, which doesn't exist, so it's misleading.
I don't think this POV is tenable at this point.
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 10:30pm) *

What would be the motive?

See above.

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 10:30pm) *

SlimVirgin, of course, was arguing that since there was no such thing as the Eurasian Landbridge, the inscription could not possibly be correct:
SlimVirgin:
Second, she's standing in front of something that has been made to look as though it's a terminal of the Eurasian Land Bridge, which doesn't exist, so it's misleading.
I don't think this POV is tenable at this point.

Regardless of Slim's typical bullying manner, the fact remains that no unattached researcher in their right mind would have looked at the available evidence, doctored photo and all, and written it up in a credible journal in the way you'd have liked. There are several of us on this thread looking right at it, and we still can't figure it out.
  1. The nature of this Landbridge is still too vague and needs substantiation
  2. LaRouche is surrounded by misinformation, and downright lies on occasion, meaning that everything would need to be examined with a toothcomb.
Fortunately for you, Wikipedia is not a credible journal, and is full of unsubstantiated misinformation, so as far as I'm concerned, these articles can say what they like!
Herschelkrustofsky
All that would be appropriate, to my mind, would be to say that LaRouche made a proposal to do X,Y,and Z, and he made it beginning in the early '90s. That's actually in the "Views of LaRouche" article now, and I see no problem with it. The problem with the "LaRouche articles" historically has been that Slim, Will, the Chipster and Dennis King want to frame those articles in such a way that LaRouche's ideas and proposals, the actual basis for his notability, are obscured by the Berlet/King theories about secret coded messages in his writings.

By the same token, LaRouche's wife is notable for energetically campaigning all over the world for her husband's ideas (and some of her own.) She manages to get access to ranking politicians in order to discuss them. SV wishes to suppress any mention of this in the BLP, substituting some vague innuendo that since Ms. LaRouche is German, she must have lurking Nazi sympathies, like her countryman, Martin Luther.
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 12:17am) *

All that would be appropriate, to my mind, would be to say that LaRouche made a proposal to do X,Y,and Z, and he made it beginning in the early '90s.

The problem is that LaRouche and supporters seem to have a completely different perception of his influence to most other people. By most other people, I mean those who have even heard of LaRouche. Like other fringe figures, LaRouche exploits tenuous links between himself and a major figure or important incidents to give the impression of exaggerated credibility. Supporters seem either gullible, or knowingly prepared to further exaggerate LaRouche's involvement for political reasons.

I've seen plenty of examples of this. A recent example was during a discussion here, you crowbarred a LaRouche BBC interview into the Andrew Gilligan affair. You insinuated they may be related. I know that LaRouche's minor interview on a Radio Station that interviews hundreds of people a day played no part in the affair.

I also know that Helga LaRouche is prepared to tell extraordinary false stories about events. She made a bold claim about Thatcher and Kohl that I know to be false, for example.

Given these facts, people should treat LaRouche claims with extreme skepticism. Even announcements by LaRouche of proposals should be treated with caution, because the chances are that they are being used to exaggerate LaRouche's influence and create a distorted picture of events for political reasons.

All this is immaterial to Wikipedia really, because that place is such an uneven mess it deserves to have LaRouche propaganda appearing all over the place. And it is unfortunate that the combatants are SlimVirgin and Willbeback who are difficult to defend. But the facts remain that when they question claims made by LaRouche, they are doing what anyone in their right minds would do if they were creating a credible report on the subject.

All said, the involvement of Berlet and King was an outrage and helped debase the whole business long ago, and I said that back in the day. Compared to them, the LaRouchies seem like naive martyrs.
Floydsvoid
Regardless, the idea of a railway or road across the Bering Strait seems incredibly naive to me.

The problem seems to be the tundra. This book has some excellent descriptions of the situation. Here, a 140 odd years ago, Western Union is doing a feasibility study about stranding telegraph wire across the strait to Europe (with the side benefit of going to China). Ultimately it proved that an overseas cable worked and was surprisingly repairable.

In the summertime, the permafrost on the tundra melts leaving a milkshake like goo that's best to ignore. The time to travel is in the winter, when it's 20 below and colder than you know what you know where. However, in Siberia, you can trudge across the tundra mile after mile, and never sight a St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast place like you can in ca.

Point is, any transportation path is going to have to be elevated for a very long ways.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:15pm) *
In the summertime, the permafrost on the tundra melts...
At least one of us is mistaken about the meaning of that word.

(Hey, remember when I used to spend my time on WR offering valuable commentary about things Wikipedia-related? Me neither.)
Floydsvoid
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 9:09pm) *

Yo, I've got it on good authority that the top layers can thaw a bit during the summer evilgrin.gif
(Hey, remember when I used to spend my time on WR offering valuable commentary about things Wikipedia-related? Me neither.)

Doh, I haven't tried it out yet. Must be here for the lulz. Sorry, I'll go into lurk mode again.

There'll never be another Frank.

[edit]This is the quote from the book that I had in mind:
It will readily be seen that travel in summer, over a great steppe covered with soft elastic moss, and soaking with water, is a very difficult if not absolutely impracticable undertaking. A horse sinks to his knees in the spongy surface at every step, and soon becomes exhausted by the severe exertion which such walking necessitates.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 2:09am) *

This seems to suggest the real route has been in use since 1992.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 1:36am) *

This seems to suggest the real route has been in use since 1992.

However the following things remain unclear:
*The proper English name for this infrastructure
*The LaRouches' actual level of involvement
*What the fuck I saw half-crossing Lake Baykal in the satellite photo

Guess I'll do some more research tomorrow or the next.
Rhindle
Google earth has a pic. From the website http://panoramio.com/photo/21169475
Cla68
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 2:50pm) *
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 2:27am) *

OK, then, I want to see the business plan for LaRouche's version of this connector between Asia and North America.
Back in the '90s, LaRouche published a humongous report, some 300 or so pages. Only parts of it are available on the internet, and I'd simply recommend that you start your search engines.

If you say that LaRouche published a business plan in the 90s, I believe you. My follow-up question would be, "Doesn't it need to be updated?" If they want some publicity, they should make a big to-do when they release the new plan. If it gets reported in the ''Wall Street Journal'' or some other business sheet, voila! into Wikipedia mention of it goes.

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 11:53pm) *
All said, the involvement of Berlet and King was an outrage and helped debase the whole business long ago, and I said that back in the day. Compared to them, the LaRouchies seem like naive martyrs.

I agree, SV's and Will's support for those two "journalists" was appalling. Anyway, it could be that mention of the landbridge was made in Chinese newspapers at the time of the construction of that statue. If anyone can find those articles, and I doubt that they're posted on the web, we'll have our reliable sources and we can mention the landbridge all over Wikipedia. Can anyone here read Chinese and has access to archives of old Chinese newspapers?
sbrown
QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 2:34am) *

Yo, I've got it on good authority that the top layers can thaw a bit during the summer evilgrin.gif

But thats the great thing about wikipeida. I could go and edit the article and take out that bit and even find a half baked source to justify it. tongue.gif
Cla68
QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 12:15am) *

Regardless, the idea of a railway or road across the Bering Strait seems incredibly naive to me.

The problem seems to be the tundra. This book has some excellent descriptions of the situation. Here, a 140 odd years ago, Western Union is doing a feasibility study about stranding telegraph wire across the strait to Europe (with the side benefit of going to China). Ultimately it proved that an overseas cable worked and was surprisingly repairable.

In the summertime, the permafrost on the tundra melts leaving a milkshake like goo that's best to ignore. The time to travel is in the winter, when it's 20 below and colder than you know what you know where. However, in Siberia, you can trudge across the tundra mile after mile, and never sight a St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast place like you can in ca.

Point is, any transportation path is going to have to be elevated for a very long ways.

I was going to bring this up also, which is the weather in that area of the world. I've done some reading about that area, because I eventually plan to improve the Wikipedia articles about the Aleutian Islands Campaign. From what I've read, the weather around the Barents Sea is absolutely atrocious. Gale-force winds are the norm, rough seas, continual, dense fog, and ice storms. How are trucks and trains supposed to keep on schedule moving through weather like that? Even if the bridge over the Barents is a tunnel, there's still the exposed road and railways on either side approaching the tunnel entrances. Even with the benefits of milder weather that global warming may be bringing to the Arctic areas, I still think that severe weather will be a factor in the viability of that transportation corridor.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 5:15pm) *

The prevailing idea is to build a tunnel.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 4:55pm) *

QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 5:15pm) *

I think he's talking about getting to the tunnel – as anyone who's been in Alaska during summer knows, the ground there (and I assume in Siberia as well) has the structural soundness of oatmeal as the frost melts, so any tracks would either need to be elevated, floating in some way, or anchored to bedrock. It's not insurmountable – Russia has a lot of railroads this far north – but it would add to the costs (and we no longer have the "slave labor" option used by the Russians).
GlassBeadGame
I think that Lyndon is quite literally missing the boat. In the late 70's and early 80's he was advocating massive development of fusion reactors, which he deemed ought to be concentrated in India, although I don't think anyone asked India what it thought. Why not a synthesis of these two ideas? Massive "trophy container ships" powered by fusion reactors? The first one could even be called the "Helga" without so much as raising an eye brow. Widen the Suez and Panama canals for good measure. Fits in with the global warming "bonus" of a navigable Arctic.

I need me an Institute.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 9:05am) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 4:55pm) *

I think he's talking about getting to the tunnel – as anyone who's been in Alaska during summer knows, the ground there (and I assume in Siberia as well) has the structural soundness of oatmeal as the frost melts, so any tracks would either need to be elevated, floating in some way, or anchored to bedrock. It's not insurmountable – Russia has a lot of railroads this far north – but it would add to the costs (and we no longer have the "slave labor" option used by the Russians).
I found in the PDF version of Mr. Cerny's article a postscript of sorts, which includes this assertion:
...the construction and maintenance of a railroad on permafrost is nothing new, and there are many proven techniques which can be used, including where permafrost conditions change over time.

I would add my own observation that the question of costs is a very "relativistic" one, depending on whether you are talking about short term or long term, or a local project versus the sort of global conception LaRouche presents. Beware of accountants. But to give a simple illustration: the Chinese MagLev line between Shanghai and its airport is fairly expensive per mile to build. But the much larger routes that they are presently contemplating will be much less expensive, due to economies of scale.

And then, when you are discussing infrastructure, you need to take into account the nonlinear effects, the complex ways in which an economy benefits from building it. LaRouche often uses the Transcontinental Railroad in the U.S. as an example of this. Another example, which may seem unrelated but is not, is the Apollo Program -- by conservative estimate, the US government got back $14 in increased tax revenue for every dollar invested in the project, due to spin-off technologies and whole new categories of businesses that sprang up around them.
Hipocrite
I'm pretty sure that LaRouche believes that global warming is scientific fraud. Correct me if I'm wrong.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 5:34pm) *

Correct me if I'm wrong.
As opposed to the Wikipedian "Correct me even if I'm not wrong."?
Herschelkrustofsky
You're not wrong.
Hipocrite
Further, having spent the lesser part of two evenings reviewing, I cannot bless the conduct of either side of the main topic, the Herschelkrustofsky ban. While Herschelkrustofsky and his cadre were using Wikipedia as a promotional tool, which I despise, Bertlet was doing exactly the same thing.

I would have banned everyone.
Cla68
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 4:49pm) *

Further, having spent the lesser part of two evenings reviewing, I cannot bless the conduct of either side of the main topic, the Herschelkrustofsky ban. While Herschelkrustofsky and his cadre were using Wikipedia as a promotional tool, which I despise, Bertlet was doing exactly the same thing.

I would have banned everyone.

Why weren't both sides banned? In the recent Israel/Palestine case, both sides were, basically, banned. In 2005 and 2006 in the LaRouche cases, only one side was banned. Does this mean that Wikipedia's treatment of such issues is improving or becoming fairer?
Somey
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 24th June 2009, 11:39am) *
Why weren't both sides banned? In the recent Israel/Palestine case, both sides were, basically, banned. In 2005 and 2006 in the LaRouche cases, only one side was banned. Does this mean that Wikipedia's treatment of such issues is improving or becoming fairer?

I'm tempted to say that you can't really compare the two situations because the potential for bad PR in the Israel/Palestine case is so much greater, but IMO the only people who should have been banned (or rather, "topic-banned") in the LaRouche dispute were Dennis King and Berlet - they're waaay too close to the situation to be "neutral," not to mention the fact that they were using their own writings as source citations. You could also make that argument for SlimVirgin and Will Beback, because they were facilitating them, but that's not quite the same thing.

That's not to say that the related articles shouldn't have been watched closely for insertion of questionable content sourced to LaRouche publications too, of course. I'm just saying that if they'd somehow removed Berlet and King from the equation, they would have had a fairly ordinary ideological dispute, with no need for extreme one-sided measures like the ones that were taken.
Kato
Those following this need to go back to the early stages of this thread because it is all there.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...ndpost&p=167667

Not only did the anti-LaRouche crowd, led by SlimVirgin, completely over react by attacking anything associated with LaRouche completely outside process (deleting articles without discussion / banning random people by fiat etc), they fostered a nasty culture, where totally innocent people who had nothing to do with LaRouche were accused.

I showed an example of someone being falsely accused here. If you follow Slim's replies to my example, you can see she doesn't acknowledge it, and tries to misdirect my complaint.

LaRouchian nonsense notwithstanding, I stand by my original observation of the causes behind the dispute:

QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 12th April 2009, 4:14am) *

I believe that you, Slim, were responsible for fostering a damaging culture that warped the notions of "outing" and "conflicts of interest" - that exploited memes of "stalking and harrassment" ("I could be killed if exposed") which ultimately, like the ludicrous anti-LaRouche campaign and many others, subverted Wikipedia from within, causing massive problems for many people. Add to that the blatant cronyism, which you exemplified, and you have the definition of a dysfunctional and dangerous process.

If LaRouchies were really to blame, this would have been an isolated incident. But it wasn't. The same practice occurred all over Wikipedia on numerous topics; Naked Short Selling, Israel and so on.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 11th April 2009, 10:07pm) *

In April, 2007, an editor went to SlimVirgin and Willbeback and wrote this about Mbhiii (T-C-L-K-R-D) :

QUOTE(User:172)
New LaRouche editor

This looks quite familar now. [10] Like the last HK sockpuppet blocked by SlimVirgin, HonourableSchoolboy, this account has been editing articles that appear in my recent contributions history or are linked to my userpage. Sigh. 172 | Talk 19:59, 27 April 2007 (UTC)
Thanks. Sadly, by now I can spot LaRouche propaganda from a mile away. 172 | Talk 20:23, 27 April 2007 (UTC)
Actually, the edit by Mbhiii would have set off major alarms within the anti-LaRouche camp, because according to Will Beback's "LaRouche under the bed" doctrine, mentioning Alexander Hamilton, Friedrich List and Henry Carey in the same breath is tantamount to quoting LaRouche. This was essentially the technique used to drive me off the project: you can't bring up ideas that LaRouche is known to favor.

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 24th June 2009, 10:04am) *

I'm just saying that if they'd somehow removed Berlet and King from the equation, they would have had a fairly ordinary ideological dispute, with no need for extreme one-sided measures like the ones that were taken.
For all intents and purposes, Berlet and King have been removed from the equation, Berlet by way of a spectacular tantrum, and King because he doesn't seem to have the stamina to do it without Berlet. Slim & Beback are canny enough to be reluctant to engage in persistent violations of policy; they had a symbiotic relationship with Berlet and King, where Berlet and King would do the dirty work, and then Slim & Beback would wikilawyer and rationalize their behavior, with minimal risk to their own WikiStatus.

Since Berlet and King left, the LaRouche articles have essentially become a "fairly ordinary ideological dispute."
Cla68
QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 24th June 2009, 5:28pm) *
If LaRouchies were really to blame, this would have been an isolated incident. But it wasn't. The same practice occurred all over Wikipedia on numerous topics; Naked Short Selling, Israel and so on.

And no history of Wikipedia for the years 2005-2009 will be complete without mentioning this. Are any of the POV-pushers and bullies who took refuge with that loose cabal still left or operating in the same manner? Jayjg's gone (at least for now), Jossi is banned, JzG, MONGO, JPGordon, and Crum375 are editing quietly, SV appears to be toeing the line, Berlet and King are gone, the ID Cab has been keeping their heads down, Gary Weiss is effectively banned, Will Beback has been more or less following the rules (he was slapped on the wrist in the recent Rawat case), FloNight left that group over a year ago, and I haven't seen ElinorD (or whatever she's called now) around lately. I haven't checked to see if IronDuke has been keeping his POV-pushing in check. If not, then he may be the last one standing.

If anyone wants to discuss the current status and legacy of the former Ruling Clique, then perhaps we should start a separate thread on it. As Kato says, that group was responsible for a lot of abuse in addition to the LaRouche situation, and that's their legacy.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 27th June 2009, 9:50pm) *

I haven't checked to see if IronDuke has been keeping his POV-pushing in check. If not, then he may be the last one standing.

Show me anyone still standing and I'll show you an unwitting decoy.
Cla68
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 27th June 2009, 10:04pm) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 27th June 2009, 9:50pm) *

I haven't checked to see if IronDuke has been keeping his POV-pushing in check. If not, then he may be the last one standing.

Show me anyone still standing and I'll show you an unwitting decoy.

Yes, it could be that some of them have simply changed their methods. If so, then that may be a topic worth exploring sometime.
dtobias
That particular clique seems to have faded away. That doesn't mean there isn't abusive stuff going on there, of course, but it's being done by different people on different topics.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 27th June 2009, 2:50pm) *

If anyone wants to discuss the current status and legacy of the former Ruling Clique, then perhaps we should start a separate thread on it. As Kato says, that group was responsible for a lot of abuse in addition to the LaRouche situation, and that's their legacy.
News flash -- Will Beback has gone ballistic. He has suffered a rash of minor defeats lately, including the reversals of his POV-speedies on Wilhelm Lautenbach and Stanislav Menshikov, and his failed attempted to suppress a Russian source that worked to his disadvantage in a LaRouche dispute. In the latter instance, SlimVirgin briefly stepped in on his side, so it was old home week for a few days, but she withdrew from the dispute after testing the wind. So Will Beback, frustrated and alone, seems to have gone kamikaze. He has resurrected an old draft by Chip Berlet which "exposes" LaRouche as a raving homophobe, using the typical array of misquotes, bogus quotes, and some serious dumpster-diving among his press clippings, looking for any scrap of gossip. He is demanding that this concoction be substituted for the current flawed but semi-reasonable section of "Views of LaRouche."
CharlotteWebb
Views of Lyndon LaRouche is an ambiguous title and should clearly be renamed depending on whether we are referring to "Lyndon LaRouche's views", or "[Other people's] views of Lyndon LaRouche [and of LaRouche's views]".

But first we'd need to agree on which one it is.
Herschelkrustofsky
Historically it has meant "Lyndon LaRouche's views," but Will is going for mission creep: first, LaRouche's views that are deemed notable by the press, and now, LaRouche's views as paraphrased by the press (no primary sources.)
Herschelkrustofsky
And now Will sets out to recruit new allies here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.