Full Version: Slim and Will put the smackdown on LaRouche
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Milton Roe
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 11th September 2009, 6:43pm) *

QUOTE(Achromatic @ Wed 9th September 2009, 12:24am) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 8th September 2009, 3:18pm) *

Slim's shrill response on Lar's talk page is:
Lar, if you don't stop posting snide remarks about me, [8] I'm going to approach the ArbCom for relief. You've been asked many times to stop by several editors. There's no call for it, and I won't respond in kind. It's particularly depressing to see it extend to you lending support to a LaRouche editor who's trying to prevent the LaRouche bio from being improved (and in such a way that any reasonable person would see was an improvement). If you have a low opinion of me, just stay away from me, and I'll continue to do the same for you. Or we should seek private mediation, as I suggested in a recent e-mail to which you didn't respond. But the current one-way public sniping is not acceptable. SlimVirgin - 05:14, 7 September 2009 (UTC)

Emphasis mine. This, ladies and gentleman, would be Slim laying the groundwork for a future "harassment" charge against Lar.

It seems like a reasonable request to me--they clearly don't get along and their interactions aren't productive, so simply ignoring each other seems like a good solution. Why must everything be interpreted as some kind of Machiavellian plot?

Perhaps it's just me, but "I'm going to approach the ArbCom for relief," if said in just the right way, sounds vaguely suggestive. Are you up for this job, CHL? happy.gif wink.gif

There's much about SV that could be fixed with a nice permanent topic ban from about 10 areas, much as was done to the Scientology editors. It's a shame that when she got de-sysoped for 6 months, Arbcom didn't think of doing that.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 13th September 2009, 4:26am) *
There's much about SV that could be fixed with a nice permanent topic ban from about 10 areas, much as was done to the Scientology editors. It's a shame that when she got de-sysoped for 6 months, Arbcom didn't think of doing that.

comment from SV;
Now, it seems clear to me that the spirit of BLP (even though it doesn't actually say this) is that people with personal axes to grind about living people shouldn't be editing articles about those people.

Perhaps the arbcom could take this under advisement, and apply to its source.
Cla68
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sat 12th September 2009, 9:08pm) *

I saw my first ever LaRouchie today in real life. Coming back from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, I saw the guy below riding the coattails of the anti-Obama rally on the mall, granted he was several blocks away from the rally and even the protesters from the rally weren't talking to him, but I suppose if you have absolutely nothing to do on a Saturday, standing on a corner handing invoking Godwin's law is doing something. I did immediately assume he was HK, as 99% of people who agree with LaRouche are HK, but I didn't feel like stopping to chat since I was hungry and wanted some tomato soup.

You could have bought one of those hot dogs from the vendor trucks and talked to him while munching on it. I wonder if he has designs to take over Wikipedia's LaRouche articles? Oh no!
MBisanz
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 13th September 2009, 9:35am) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sat 12th September 2009, 9:08pm) *

I saw my first ever LaRouchie today in real life. Coming back from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, I saw the guy below riding the coattails of the anti-Obama rally on the mall, granted he was several blocks away from the rally and even the protesters from the rally weren't talking to him, but I suppose if you have absolutely nothing to do on a Saturday, standing on a corner handing invoking Godwin's law is doing something. I did immediately assume he was HK, as 99% of people who agree with LaRouche are HK, but I didn't feel like stopping to chat since I was hungry and wanted some tomato soup.

You could have bought one of those hot dogs from the vendor trucks and talked to him while munching on it. I wonder if he has designs to take over Wikipedia's LaRouche articles? Oh no!

Apparently you have never had Cosi's tomato basil soup (below from random website) or you would not say such heretical things. Off with his head!

Lar
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 12th September 2009, 5:16pm) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sat 12th September 2009, 2:08pm) *

I did immediately assume he was HK, as 99% of people who agree with LaRouche are HK, but I didn't feel like stopping to chat since I was hungry and wanted some tomato soup.
From the rear view, I can't really tell if he's me or not. But I suspect not -- the hair isn't grey enough.

So you can't rule it out based on "I woud never stand around next to signage connecting Obama and Hitler, handing out flyers" then? smile.gif
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 11th September 2009, 1:37am) *
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 11th September 2009, 6:27am) *
Why do you suppose SV said that she was "writing this as an editor, not as an admin"? There had to be some legalistic ulterior motive for using that formulation.
Because she is involved as an editor in the article(s). If she were acting as an admin it would look like she was using her admin status to try to intimidate an editor with which she was involved in a content dispute.
By saying that she is "writing as an editor, not an admin" she is, at the same time, claiming to be eschewing administrative authority while at the same time flaunting it. Very clever, that.
Cla68
Leatherstocking, in a couple of days, should go ahead and make a request on the ArbCom Enforcement board, based on what I'm reading here.
Malleus
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 13th September 2009, 9:48am) *
Apparently you have never had Cosi's tomato basil soup (below from random website) or you would not say such heretical things. Off with his head!

That picture demonstrates quite well the problem that many Europeans have with American food, the sheer quantity of it. If I order soup I expect soup, unaccompanied by a bucket of salad and a loaf.
tarantino
QUOTE(Malleus @ Wed 16th September 2009, 2:37am) *

That picture demonstrates quite well the problem that many Europeans have with American food, the sheer quantity of it. If I order soup I expect soup, unaccompanied by a bucket of salad and a loaf.

That combination is called a soup and salad and is often eaten in the middle of the day as a complete meal. It can be fairly healthy and low calorie, if there's not too much dressing on the salad, or fat and salt in the soup.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Malleus @ Wed 16th September 2009, 3:37am) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 13th September 2009, 9:48am) *

I should note that is a random pic from google, when I order it, I order it without salad. About 400 calories for the soup and 200 for the bread, and I usually eat that as a lunch or dinner on its own, with a lighter alternate meal of say a chicken breast and a salad without dressing or a granola bar.
TungstenCarbide

Last time I ate in Europe the food was crap and the portions the same as at home.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Tue 15th September 2009, 8:48pm) *

Last time I ate in Europe the food was crap and the portions the same as at home.

That must have sucked, having no way to doggy bag them.

Oh wait--- you just feed your dog directly, under the table. rolleyes.gif
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 16th September 2009, 1:45am) *

Leatherstocking, in a couple of days, should go ahead and make a request on the ArbCom Enforcement board, based on what I'm reading here.

It looks like the arbcom is passing the buck. Hey, who wants to have to argue with SV? it just never ends! SV and horde are famous for tag-team wrestling events in these smaller venues, the ones the arbvom is trying to pass the buck to.
Cla68
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 16th September 2009, 4:09am) *

It looks like the arbcom is passing the buck. Hey, who wants to have to argue with SV? it just never ends! SV and horde are famous for tag-team wrestling events in these smaller venues, the ones the arbvom is trying to pass the buck to.

I think what Coren is saying that it's fine to apply the Larouche #2 case decision to this situation, but let the Arb Enforcement (AE) forum admins handle it. The regular AE admins, like Sandstein, appear to be trying their best to make fair and appropriate decisions on the complaints brought to their attention, so I'm interested in seeing how this dispute between SV, Will Beback, and Leatherstocking goes in that forum. Notice that no uninvolved editors have commented on the clarification motion even though I'm sure that many have the page on their watchlist.
Herschelkrustofsky
It looks like the arbs are addressing themselves exclusively to points raised by SV, and ignoring the specific questions from Leatherstocking.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 16th September 2009, 6:56am) *

It looks like the arbs are addressing themselves exclusively to points raised by SV, and ignoring the specific questions from Leatherstocking.

Concur

It's the blimp, Frank

Leatherstocking already went to AE and was told that there was nothing enforceable. Then, on top of that, he got in trouble for forum shopping, so it seems possible that going back to AE might not be a good move.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 16th September 2009, 6:10am) *

Notice that no uninvolved editors have commented on the clarification motion even though I'm sure that many have the page on their watchlist.

96 to be exact.
Herschelkrustofsky
How does the procedure work? For example, we now have 3 arbs who seem to be saying, "Not our problem." How many arbs does it take to shuttle if off to some other venue?

Now, interestingly, there are several arbs and clerks who are probably reading this thread. Can you make any candid assessment of what is going on? Do you intend to comment at the clarification page? Is it a potential hornets' nest that you won't touch with a 10 foot pole?
Heat
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 16th September 2009, 9:11pm) *

Notice that no uninvolved editors have commented on the clarification motion even though I'm sure that many have the page on their watchlist.

96 to be exact.

How can you tell how many editors have watchlisted a page?

BTW, is misspelling "mess" as "meth" supposed to be some sort of crack about rural Alberta?
The Joy
QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 16th September 2009, 6:14pm) *

96 to be exact.

BTW, is misspelling "mess" as "meth" supposed to be some sort of crack about rural Alberta?

http://toolserver.org/~mzmcbride/cgi-bin/watcher.py
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 16th September 2009, 10:14pm) *

96 to be exact.

Don't you read Durova's blog ?!?
Cla68
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Wed 16th September 2009, 8:18pm) *

Leatherstocking already went to AE and was told that there was nothing enforceable. Then, on top of that, he got in trouble for forum shopping, so it seems possible that going back to AE might not be a good move.

Leatherstocking needs to point out clearly that the only reason he/she is taking it back to AE is because the Arbs said to do so. He/she then needs to lay out her/his complaint with a list of concise, bullet-style statements that list each perceived violation with diffs.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 16th September 2009, 3:14pm) *

It's a reference to an earlier discussion about whether SV could sustain an editing binge lasting several uninterrupted days without performance-enhancing drugs.
CharlotteWebb
And I'm sure you meant "prolonging" rather than "enhancing".
Herschelkrustofsky
smile.gif
Herschelkrustofsky
Carcharoth has added his comments to the arbcom request for clarification. They seem to be of the "can't we all get along" variety. Thus far it seems that each arb, in his own way, is energetically skirting the issue. I am waiting to see what NYBrad and Cool Hand Luke have to say, unless they plan to abstain.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 3rd September 2009, 8:09am) *

QUOTE(Shalom @ Thu 3rd September 2009, 3:43am) *

See that's the problem: for some people who prefer to keep importance in perspective, the articles on LaRouche should be short and pitiful compared to articles on people who make a real difference.

Yeah it's almost as if we need to actively recruit a bunch of boring, normal people to work on those articles. dry.gif
I would say that Leatherstocking (T-C-L-K-R-D) initially fit that description, but at this point he has become so annoyed at Will Beback and Virginia Slim that he is, if not a pro-LaRouche editor, at least an anti-anti-LaRouche editor.

Meanwhile, there is an interesting newcomer: Jayen466 (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who seems scrupulously neutral and willing to wade through the complicated issues at the LaRouche articles. I think he is really starting to piss Will off, but he is totally civil and can't be accused of taking a side. Is Jayen466 on anyone's rader screen hereabouts?
MBisanz
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 25th September 2009, 8:10am) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 3rd September 2009, 8:09am) *

QUOTE(Shalom @ Thu 3rd September 2009, 3:43am) *

See that's the problem: for some people who prefer to keep importance in perspective, the articles on LaRouche should be short and pitiful compared to articles on people who make a real difference.

Yeah it's almost as if we need to actively recruit a bunch of boring, normal people to work on those articles. dry.gif
I would say that Leatherstocking (T-C-L-K-R-D) initially fit that description, but at this point he has become so annoyed at Will Beback and Virginia Slim that he is, if not a pro-LaRouche editor, at least an anti-anti-LaRouche editor.

Meanwhile, there is an interesting newcomer: Jayen466 (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who seems scrupulously neutral and willing to wade through the complicated issues at the LaRouche articles. I think he is really starting to piss Will off, but he is totally civil and can't be accused of taking a side. Is Jayen466 on anyone's rader screen hereabouts?

Name rings a bell, don't remember why.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Fri 25th September 2009, 12:49pm) *

Maybe you figured it sounds much like User:Jayron32.
tarantino

Jayen is a follower of Shree Rajneesh and likely an employee of OSHO International. You may remember him for his dogged support of Jossi. Jayen and Jossi have played very similar roles on WP in relation to their Guru's articles, except Jayen draws less attention to himself and seems more reasonable.
MBisanz
QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 25th September 2009, 5:48pm) *

Jayen is a follower of Shree Rajneesh and likely an employee of OSHO International. You may remember him for his dogged support of Jossi. Jayen and Jossi have played very similar roles on WP in relation to their Guru's articles, except Jayen draws less attention to himself and seems more reasonable.

Ahh, now I remember, he was involved somehow in the Prem Rawat 2 arbitration case, that is where I saw the name.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 25th September 2009, 9:48am) *

It seems likely that he's had run-ins with Will Beback at the Prem business. Perhaps he has had it up to here with Will's tactics, and figuring that turnabout is fair play, wikistalked Will to the LaRouche article.
Eva Destruction
Should be interesting.
It's the blimp, Frank
I'm really surprised that Leatherstocking hasn't been banned and/or hung in effigy. He is now arguing for the deletion of [[Jeremiah Duggan]]. SlimVirgin will defend that article like a mother Grizzly defending her cub.
Appleby
Just because SlimVirgin owns an article doesn't mean it should be deleted. I'd certainly heard of Duggan independent of Wikipedia.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Appleby @ Tue 6th October 2009, 11:46pm) *

I'd certainly heard of Duggan independent of Wikipedia.
Yes, I believe you have mentioned that using your various earlier accounts here at the Review.
standixon
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 7th October 2009, 3:58pm) *

QUOTE(Appleby @ Tue 6th October 2009, 11:46pm) *

I'd certainly heard of Duggan independent of Wikipedia.
Yes, I believe you have mentioned that using your various earlier accounts here at the Review.

Yes, the number of posts, the 'interest' in FT2 and the user name that was the civil servant's surname in "Yes Minister" does arouse suspicion doesn't it? Reminds me of the Hercules' myths. Cut off one head of the Hydra and more grow!

laugh.gif
Achromatic
Uh oh. No-one told me we were not meant to be discussing this subject:

*'''Comment'''. There appears to be off-site canvassing regarding this AfD.   Will Beback 16:37, 7 October 2009 (UTC)
Herschelkrustofsky
Will Slim 'n' Will play the BADSITES card? Will this spill over into Leatherstocking's other AfD at Kenneth Kronberg? Slim 'n' Will are already out in force for that one. News at 11.
It's the blimp, Frank
Hail, hail, the cabal's all here, as Tom Harrison and JoshuaZ make an appearance. Also at this one:

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:49pm) *

Leatherstocking's other AfD at Kenneth Kronberg?

JoshuaZ in particular thinks the way to win points is to trash Leatherstocking.
Cla68
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 8th October 2009, 5:38am) *
JoshuaZ in particular thinks the way to win points is to trash Leatherstocking.

Some editors that I respect, like Everyking have voted to keep it, and I generally agree with them. That doesn't resolve the fact that some serious POV-pushing has been going on in the LaRouche articles for quite some time, from both "sides", and it's important that one side in particular no longer gets a free pass at doing that. I pointed out in the article that Dennis King was a critic (that's me accidentally editing without logging-in) and another editor responded by adding more citations. If those citations check out, then that's fine.
Kelly Martin
Speaking of LaRouche, how long before Keith Olbermann's epithet of "Larouchebags" (from last night's Special Comment) finds its way into Wikipedia?
Cla68
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 8th October 2009, 2:07pm) *

Speaking of LaRouche, how long before Keith Olbermann's epithet of "Larouchebags" (from last night's Special Comment) finds its way into Wikipedia?

I assume that something about it will be added to the "LaRouche in popular culture" section in his article soon. Google appears to support the term as established in popular usage. I suspect that the LaRouche supporter's use of the Obama "Joker" posters isn't winning them too many friends.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 8th October 2009, 2:07pm) *

Will Beback is waiting for the term to appear in a Reliable Sourceâ„¢ before he commences writing the article.

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 8th October 2009, 8:25am) *
I suspect that the LaRouche supporter's use of the Obama "Joker" posters isn't winning them too many friends.
LaRouche had nothing to do with the "Joker" poster. LaRouche's contribution to the debate is the Obama-stache poster. Bill Maher now says that Obama is not the same as Hitler, because when Hitler tried to get the Olympics, he succeeded.
The Joy
Could Leatherstocking be allowed to continue editing as a "token" LaRouchie so Slim, Beback and friends do not appear so merciless?

Given what's happened with 172/Cognition, could it be possible Leatherstocking is a "bad hand" account?

I take a neutral stance on the LaRouche wiki-battles, but its obvious that nothing positive about LaRouche, even when backed by Reliable Sources, can go unchallenged by SV and friends. LaRouche may, from many people's perspective, be considered "crazy," but he deserves a neutral, just-the-facts BLP article per Wikipedia's own policies.

Can that happen? Will it happen? Unlikely.
Herschelkrustofsky
After some initial comments by uninvolved editors such as Achromatic, Edison and Tony Fox, someone must have sent up the Bat Signal, because the AfD proceedings have become a straight ideological litmus test, with threats coming from JoshuaZ and Vyvyan Ade Basterd (T-C-L-K-R-D) (who is this guy?) against anyone who is insufficiently anti-LaRouche.
Cla68
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 9th October 2009, 1:33am) *

Could Leatherstocking be allowed to continue editing as a "token" LaRouchie so Slim, Beback and friends do not appear so merciless?

Given what's happened with 172/Cognition, could it be possible Leatherstocking is a "bad hand" account?

I take a neutral stance on the LaRouche wiki-battles, but its obvious that nothing positive about LaRouche, even when backed by Reliable Sources, can go unchallenged by SV and friends. LaRouche may, from many people's perspective, be considered "crazy," but he deserves a neutral, just-the-facts BLP article per Wikipedia's own policies.

Can that happen? Will it happen? Unlikely.

I'm waiting to see what happens when LaRouche editors start using more Chinese and Russian sources, which appear to give LaRouche's ideas and projects more credibility than the western media. I think it will be fairly hilarious, actually. I think JoshuaZ and some of the others probably read this thread here in WR and responded accordingly.

Yes, LaRouche and any other topic in Wikipedia deserve a fair and neutral treatment. It's disappointing to see so many long-time editors openly flaunting this ideal.
Random832
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 8th October 2009, 9:24pm) *
LaRouche's contribution to the debate is the Obama-stache poster.

And you don't realize that this is a "contribution to the debate" in the same way that a dog makes a 'contribution' to a sidewalk?

Even accepting the rather thin premise that there is a valid comparison to be made, the posters don't actually explain the basis for comparison, they just make you look crazy.

And I have no idea how you can say with a straight face that this doesn't mean LaRouche is responsible for the other "democrats = nazis" stuff. He started the meme.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Random832 @ Fri 9th October 2009, 7:16am) *

And I have no idea how you can say with a straight face that this doesn't mean LaRouche is responsible for the other "democrats = nazis" stuff. He started the meme.
I'm not sure what other "democrats = nazis" stuff you mean. I've been a Democratic Party activist since the 60s, and I cherish the idea that the Democratic Party should be the voice of the poor and oppressed. So when I see Barney Frank slavishly working to protect the biggest Wall Street gangsters in US history from any sort of scrutiny, or Nancy Pelosi proposing a regressive VAT tax and holding megabucks "let them eat cake" fundraising soirees for her billionaire patrons, I feel betrayed. I think they're a bunch of Republican moles, and LaRouche is the standard bearer for the party of FDR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.