Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus Bachmann
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Pages: 1, 2
Detective
QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 25th July 2011, 2:01pm) *

It was a mistake, fixed this morning.

Oh of course, just a tiny error, closing a controversial AfD when you don't know whether the article is about a man or a woman. Still, it's a good example of how Wikipedia is always improving, and quickly.
carbuncle
Given that the only two reasonable choices for this were keep or merge, I wonder why Aaron Brenneman didn't just start the DRV himself?
Rhindle
Based on a first impression it looks like this Mr. Brenneman knows how to filter the noise and make a thought-out decision.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 25th July 2011, 7:31pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 25th July 2011, 2:38pm) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 25th July 2011, 5:25pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 25th July 2011, 12:44pm) *

Given that the only two reasonable choices for this were keep or merge, I wonder why Aaron Brenneman didn't just start the DRV himself?

Shall I call you a WHAAAAmbulance, or do you have one on standby?

Oh. You apparently think that I wanted the article to be kept, so you are mocking my comment on the closure. I believe the correct response is to insult you and then point out how you are mistaken?

Then why isn't 'delete' a reasonable choice?

This is another wikibomb. This is someone who has a lot of media coverage at the moment, and there is a solid case to be made that they therefore meet all of WP's notability guidelines. I'm surprised that it wasn't kept. Although I don't think that would have been the right decision, it would not have ruled out a later merge. If it gets merged with Michele Bachmann, it means you will have an appropriately limited amount of coverage and you won't have a BLP that exists only as a means to malign someone.

This deletion will just lead to a DRV. That DRV may result in the article being kept, and makes the chance of merging less likely if that happens.
Abd
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 25th July 2011, 4:30pm) *
QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 25th July 2011, 7:31pm) *
Then why isn't 'delete' a reasonable choice?
This is another wikibomb. This is someone who has a lot of media coverage at the moment, and there is a solid case to be made that they therefore meet all of WP's notability guidelines. I'm surprised that it wasn't kept. Although I don't think that would have been the right decision, it would not have ruled out a later merge. If it gets merged with Michele Bachmann, it means you will have an appropriately limited amount of coverage and you won't have a BLP that exists only as a means to malign someone.

This deletion will just lead to a DRV. That DRV may result in the article being kept, and makes the chance of merging less likely if that happens.
In my view, Merge is pretty much always a better choice than deletion if there is any notability for a related article, as there is here. Merge leaves the article text available in history, for future research. It's transparent and reversible by ordinary editors (but if there is tendentious unmerge, it can be protected).

More generally, I've argued for Pure Wiki Deletion, which would involve blanking rather than deletion. Merges (i.e, blanking and redirection) do implement PWD without any software changes, appropriate if there is any reliable source on the subject at all, even just one reference, so that, at some point, at least, there can be mention in the target article. It's also theoretically possible to redirect to an article Talk page, though I think some would scream about that.... Redirects help readers, and are less likely to lead to waste of time re-creating pages.
The Joy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...Marcus_Bachmann

A Quest For Knowledge (T-C-L-K-R-D) seems intent on making the article again in his user space and then taking it to DRV. dry.gif hrmph.gif
carbuncle
Oh good:
User Tarc and WP:BATTLEGROUND

Normally, this would just be something for WP:WQA, if not for the fact that Tarc has explicitly stated that he has a WP:BATTLEGROUND mentality in terms of this subject. The AfD for Marcus Bachmann closed as Delete not too long ago. A few users, including myself, were discussing on the talk page improvements that could be made to a userspace draft on the subject by focusing on sources that are separate from his wife. Then Tarc went and created a section here at the bottom. Statements he made include, "I will do my damn best to ensure that this sham of an article never again sees the light of day. You want a war? Game on." After A Quest for Knowledge pointed out the BATTLEGROUND policy, Tarc's response included, "The battleground was formed the moment the article was created, it is a gun-fight, and I'm making damn sure to bring something bigger than a knife. I didn't create it." You can read his full comments by going to the link I gave above. Tarc then hatted the discussion, saying, "Y'know, you're right, this serves no purpose. Actions will speak louder than words in the end. Mea culpa", but I don't believe this non-apology apology is rather sincere and it is likely he still plans on going on with his Battleground actions.

If I may quote something from offsite, from Wikipedia Review specifically, Tarc made a comment to me a few minutes ago here, after he made the comments above, where he said,

"I just put ta note on the AfD talk page, but here I can be a little more..colorful.

I will pull out as many stops as I need to to prevent you and your miserable cocksucking little cohorts from getting Bachmann back into article-space.

If this is the war you want to hang your little ARS beret on, then I guess we'll see which side has more clout. Maybe you will come out in the end, maybe not.

Either way, it will be costly.

You can interpret that however you like."

I think this shows quite clearly that he is intending to continue working in a Battleground manner. I'm not sure what the best course of action is here, perhaps a topic ban from the Marcus Bachmann and Michelle Bachmann articles? SilverserenC 03:06, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
P.S. I have taken screenshots of Tarc's statements on WR, so that the originals are available if he attempts to edit and change his comments. SilverserenC 03:06, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
gomi
Modnote: [Various player-versus-player invective, hate speech, and general tomfoolery moved into the Tar Pit. Read it there, if you must. If there are more off-topic posts, they will also be moved and the topic closed.]
Tarc

1. AN/I closed up with no result.

2. DRV filed and rolling.

Tarc
3. DRV endorsed.
4. Marcus Bachmann no longer has a wikipedia-hosted hit piece, though it is now a redirect to the wife's page, which will bear watching so the section does not repeat the same problems.
5. Silver Seren enjoys his sour grapes.

All's well that ends well.
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 3rd August 2011, 12:35pm) *

3. DRV endorsed.
4. Marcus Bachmann no longer has a wikipedia-hosted hit piece, though it is now a redirect to the wife's page, which will bear watching so the section does not repeat the same problems.

Tarc, I see you suckling more wiki juice from your god, jimmy bow Wales...
Tarc
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Wed 3rd August 2011, 6:12pm) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 3rd August 2011, 12:35pm) *

3. DRV endorsed.

Tarc, I see you suckling more wiki juice from your god, jimmy bow Wales...

Oh, JoJo, I thought that just this one time you might be proud of me. I defended a conservative christian against a horde of card-carrying pinkos.

C'mon homey, gimme some dap.
Somey
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 3rd August 2011, 8:13pm) *
Oh, JoJo, I thought that just this one time you might be proud of me. I defended a conservative christian against a horde of card-carrying pinkos.

Seriously - I thought that showed an admirable lack of political bias on your part. Principled, even... I guess Mr. Victim just saw the word "Tarc" and assumed it was some sort of leftist conspiracy.

Hopefully other conservatives will see what's happened here and be a little more appreciative! (When they're not too busy picking out just the right pastel floral patterns for the drapes in their "Christian reparative therapy" clinics, at least.)
KD Tries Again
Time to propose the Michelle Obama article for deletion per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOT...ty_is_inherited: "Family members of celebrities [sic] also must meet Wikipedia's notability criteria on their own merits – the fact that they have famous relatives is not, in and of itself, sufficient to justify an independent article.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(KD Tries Again @ Tue 9th August 2011, 2:20pm) *

Time to propose the Michelle Obama article for deletion per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOT...ty_is_inherited: "Family members of celebrities [sic] also must meet Wikipedia's notability criteria on their own merits – the fact that they have famous relatives is not, in and of itself, sufficient to justify an independent article.

Michelle Obama (like all first ladies) clearly meets "notability on [her] own merits". There is a big difference between someone married to a notable person who leads a private life, and someone who leads a public life. First ladies, as part of their role, lead public lives.
KD Tries Again
I applaud your nuanced sense of humor.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(KD Tries Again @ Tue 9th August 2011, 11:01am) *

I applaud your nuanced sense of humor. rolleyes.gif
Jagärdu
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Tue 9th August 2011, 4:32pm) *

QUOTE(KD Tries Again @ Tue 9th August 2011, 11:01am) *

I applaud your nuanced sense of humor. rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure KD was applauding themselves anyway.
KD Tries Again
And deservedly so.

Surely I don't have to make the laborious explanation that I was sarcastically suggesting that many of the lame arguments for deleting the Bachmann article could be deployed against the Michelle Obama article. They would not succeed of course.
carbuncle
Well, it looks like Shankbone will get to take another shot at this one. Marcus Bachmann seems to have pushed a CNN reporter into a golf cart. As a bonus, the reporter happens to be gay.
It's the blimp, Frank
That's worth an entire encyclopedia article right there.
Rhindle
[[Marcus Bachman golf cart incident]]
EricBarbour
Ho hum, how dull.

mydog
I don't really get this deletion. Was his article really just an attack piece (I haven't had the privilege of seeing it). Because I think anyone else with this amount of press coverage (and a lot of people without it, cough, hand-egg players, cough, David Dixon, etc.) would be a shoo-in for an article.
Somey
QUOTE(mydog @ Sun 14th August 2011, 10:25pm) *

I don't really get this deletion. Was his article really just an attack piece (I haven't had the privilege of seeing it). Because I think anyone else with this amount of press coverage (and a lot of people without it, cough, hand-egg players, cough, David Dixon, etc.) would be a shoo-in for an article.

I'd say it was about 50 percent attack piece, 50 percent "OMG let's get as many press mentions of this guy in here as possible so they don't delete the other 50 percent of this article."

I suppose if Michelle Bachmann wins anything during this campaign, even if it's just the Iowa caucuses, and Marcus Bachmann gets more press attention as a result, then they could probably justify it - it would still be an attack piece, but like you say, there are less "notable" people in Wikipedia. Until then, I'd say WP is better off not giving in to "tabloidism."
carbuncle
QUOTE(mydog @ Mon 15th August 2011, 3:25am) *

Shankbone has a copy here just in case Marcus Bachmann does something newsworthy and the article can be restored. The crux of the issue is that Bachmann's clinic has been alleged to practice "reparative therapy" (i.e., making gay people straight). Obviously that would never last in the Michele Bachmann article, so Marcus needs his own article if it is going to be mentioned in Wikipedia.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 14th August 2011, 9:57pm) *
I suppose if Michelle Bachmann wins anything during this campaign, even if it's just the Iowa caucuses, and Marcus Bachmann gets more press attention as a result, then they could probably justify it - it would still be an attack piece, but like you say, there are less "notable" people in Wikipedia. Until then, I'd say WP is better off not giving in to "tabloidism."

Blech. If the Bachmanns really gave a damn about Wikipedia, they'd get their lawyer to harass the WMF and get it all pulled. But they don't care.

So I can only figure that Wikipedia is past its use-by date, and is no longer regarded with any seriousness by political office-seekers.
Its aspersions to "mainstream acceptance" are finished. It's just another website run by trolls. Hah.
Collect
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 15th August 2011, 4:21am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 14th August 2011, 9:57pm) *

Blech. If the Bachmanns really gave a damn about Wikipedia, they'd get their lawyer to harass the WMF and get it all pulled. But they don't care.

So I can only figure that Wikipedia is past its use-by date, and is no longer regarded with any seriousness by political office-seekers.
Its aspersions to "mainstream acceptance" are finished. It's just another website run by trolls. Hah.

"Public persons" generally find the system inthe US works rather poorly - contesting a published claim results in it being more widely disseminated as a rule. And if people with a particular POV find it to their own advantage to disseminate the problematic prose, then this becomes an even worse problem. I have already found one editor who feels "the more good edits the better" by an editor on a given BLP - in essence saying it is not possible to make excessive edits on a BLP presenting the view of one editor. (One example would be an editor who makes 186 edits on a BLP out of a total of 669 by everyone total, or 670 edits on a BLP out of 5,800 edits total, or on a talk page more than 1000 edits out of (say) 5000 total edits by everyone total. I made the suggestion that such numbers indicate a preoccupation with a topic) See [[User:Collect/counting edits]] for the colloquy.
Tarc
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 15th August 2011, 4:20am) *

QUOTE(mydog @ Mon 15th August 2011, 3:25am) *

Shankbone has a copy here just in case Marcus Bachmann does something newsworthy and the article can be restored. The crux of the issue is that Bachmann's clinic has been alleged to practice "reparative therapy" (i.e., making gay people straight). Obviously that would never last in the Michele Bachmann article, so Marcus needs his own article if it is going to be mentioned in Wikipedia.

I was tempted to file an MfD the moment he swiped a copy of the article for his userspace, but there was enough eDrama going on as it was. I posted a msg on his page on Aug 3 and he said he wanted to work on it, so whatever. I'll mark it for deletion by Sept 3 if its still there then.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 16th August 2011, 3:44pm) *
I was tempted to file an MfD the moment he swiped a copy of the article for his userspace, but there was enough eDrama going on as it was. I posted a msg on his page on Aug 3 and he said he wanted to work on it, so whatever. I'll mark it for deletion by Sept 3 if its still there then. ~~~~

I suspect that if it isn't in article space by then, it will end up there as a result of your deletion request. The more attention Michele Bachmann gets, the more attention Marcus Bachmann will get and the more attention Marcus Bachmann gets, the more chance of a gaffe that will be newsworthy. This one won't make much noise outside of left-leaning blogs and LGBT publications, but if Michele Bachmann continues to do well in straw polls, look for more Marcus Bachmann stories in the mainstream news planted by her opponents. Politics as usual.

You ought to be looking at influencing the content of the article rather than the existence of the article, but you are fighting a losing battle either way, in my very humble opinion.
Tarc
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 16th August 2011, 12:18pm) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 16th August 2011, 3:44pm) *
I was tempted to file an MfD the moment he swiped a copy of the article for his userspace, but there was enough eDrama going on as it was. I posted a msg on his page on Aug 3 and he said he wanted to work on it, so whatever. I'll mark it for deletion by Sept 3 if its still there then. ~~~~

I suspect that if it isn't in article space by then, it will end up there as a result of your deletion request. The more attention Michele Bachmann gets, the more attention Marcus Bachmann will get and the more attention Marcus Bachmann gets, the more chance of a gaffe that will be newsworthy. This one won't make much noise outside of left-leaning blogs and LGBT publications, but if Michele Bachmann continues to do well in straw polls, look for more Marcus Bachmann stories in the mainstream news planted by her opponents. Politics as usual.

You ought to be looking at influencing the content of the article rather than the existence of the article, but you are fighting a losing battle either way, in my very humble opinion.

I will be MfD'ing a userspace draft of a deleted BLP, there is little sympathy out there to let these things languish unused and unedited.

Honestly, Bachmann has little chance of winnin the GOP nomination. She barely edged out wingnut Ron Paul in the cozy, friendly-to-extreme-conservatives Iowa straw poll. Once she hits the real states and real primaries, she's toast.

No Michele nomination == no auto-notability for the spouse. The poloticos.coms and moveon screamos can keep writing articles about Marcus every time he says something about them that they don't like, but if all the wiki-agendaists can dig up is more "Bachmann says X, opponents decry X", the article will not be recreated.

Seren and a handful of others played their part masterfully in the initial AfD and DrV, it went pretty much as I expected it to go. Really, the only curveball was that I didn't get blocked for a time as I presumed.
lilburne
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't believe that your bog standard Americans is dumb enough to elect someone like Bachmann or Palin. They don't really exist outside of their core dumbfuck, trailerpark, pawned, electorate.

The energy that the left seem to pour into deriding them just seems like wasted effort.

EricBarbour
QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 16th August 2011, 11:09am) *
Honestly, Bachmann has little chance of winnin the GOP nomination. She barely edged out wingnut Ron Paul in the cozy, friendly-to-extreme-conservatives Iowa straw poll. Once she hits the real states and real primaries, she's toast.
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 16th August 2011, 2:02pm) *
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't believe that your bog standard Americans is dumb enough to elect someone like Bachmann or Palin.

Maybe. But then, people said that about a Yalie frat-nerd named George W. Bush, back in 2000.

Let me run a few names of past Great American Politicians past you.

Some Republicans, some Democrats. "Bog standard Americans" voted
for all of them. Some of them were repeatedly reelected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O._Eastland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rostenkowski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Durenberger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_R._Tucker_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_E._&qu...uz"_Lukens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_A._Williams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Traficant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jenrette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kelly_(politician)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Lederer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Myers_(politician)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Thompson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M._Murphy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Biaggi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Eilberg
radek
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 16th August 2011, 4:02pm) *

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't believe that your bog standard Americans is dumb enough to elect someone like Bachmann or Palin. They don't really exist outside of their core dumbfuck, trailerpark, pawned, electorate.

The energy that the left seem to pour into deriding them just seems like wasted effort.

I think the mainstream democrats are really praying for a Bachmann candidacy.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(radek @ Tue 16th August 2011, 4:01pm) *

QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 16th August 2011, 4:02pm) *

She is indeed the Republican Party death wish. Thanatos, right out of Freud. Sort of like Goldwater in 1964. wink.gif Even Republicans know they can't nominate Palin, but they might actually shoot themselves with Bachmann.

Of course you can't always laugh at only Republicans. The Democrats couldn't do better than Humphrey against law-n-order Nixon in that "year of fear" 1968. laugh.gif
Zoloft
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 16th August 2011, 2:02pm) *

Warren G. Harding (T-H-L-K-D)

The very picture of a great president... and shallow as the paint on that picture.
KD Tries Again
QUOTE(radek @ Tue 16th August 2011, 11:01pm) *

It would be a gift. She is unelectable in the largest states other than Texas and would have a mountain to climb even if she ran a smart campaign.
Cla68
Anyway, I'm sure Shankbone feels good about himself that he tried to do his part to promote truth and freedom. Anyway, we probably should start a discussion in the Lounge to discuss the Republican candidates and complain about why the Libertarian party can't seem to ever become a credible and viable force in national politics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.