Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool3/Cool three (13 Jan - 8 Feb 2010)
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > The ArbCom-L Leaks
Pages: 1, 2
culeaker
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 10th August 2012, 5:25am) *

How does anyone know this sort of thing of giving outsiders access to administrator accounts has not gone on since Wikipedia's beginning? CheckUsers have better things to do than check every single editor with administrator functions or higher all the time and even CU is "not magic pixie dust," as Wikipedians say.

I doubt that it has gone on since Wikipedia's beginning. nobody would have bothered in the early days. Still, it has doubtless happened a few times. I agree that it is often very difficult to detect, and there would frequently be "false positives", when an admin moved or switched ISPs for example. But any strange behavior by an admin is usually enough to set alarm bells ringing.
Ottava
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 10th August 2012, 12:25am) *

It shows the absurdity of what Wikipedians call "trust." How can you trust someone named "Cool3" or any anonymous/pseudonymous person, for crying out loud, with handling important administrative functions of the world's most popular online reference site?

How can I trust you with the ability to criticize such a person? You can't apply a standard that they need to be such and such while you refuse to abide by it yourself. You lack the moral high ground here.
The Joy
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 15th August 2012, 11:12am) *

It shows the absurdity of what Wikipedians call "trust." How can you trust someone named "Cool3" or any anonymous/pseudonymous person, for crying out loud, with handling important administrative functions of the world's most popular online reference site?

How can I trust you with the ability to criticize such a person? You can't apply a standard that they need to be such and such while you refuse to abide by it yourself. You lack the moral high ground here.

As do you, "Ottava Rima." We're all mad here. irony.gif
Ottava
QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 15th August 2012, 6:06pm) *

Um, my real identity is well known and has been plastered here by many users no longer allowed to post here. If you are going to try and be clever, at least attempt to be accurate.
The Joy
QUOTE(culeaker @ Fri 10th August 2012, 11:46am) *

But any strange behavior by an admin is usually enough to set alarm bells ringing.

Or ignored by the community. Essjay, SlimVirgin, JzG, etc. come to mind. Some like Chris0 (now Prioryman) and Tony Sidaway get caught only to come back and act like silly with impunity. Your social reputation on Wikipedia outweighs any injustices you commit.
The Joy
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 16th August 2012, 12:34am) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 15th August 2012, 6:06pm) *

Um, my real identity is well known and has been plastered here by many users no longer allowed to post here. If you are going to try and be clever, at least attempt to be accurate.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.