Full Version: The WMF Audit
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
Pages: 1, 2
Kato
This was picked up by Seth on his blog :

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=15475
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Thu 24th January 2008, 3:44pm) *

Why do they use a wiki for absolutely everything? Did Jimbo decide that everyone should use tools ill-designed for the purpose at hand, just because they are "free"?

That would explain the GFDL licensing, actually. Now, I'm going to go inflate my car tire with a free content, non-patented rock. That way I don't have to finance the evil air pump conglomerates who want to take my free rock.

Actually the audit exposes something more basic. They are running a million dollar business, and they do not have a competent accountant to manage it. (It's Web 2.0 - who needs accountants - anyway, Jimbo will just dip into his pockets and sort out any problems). Clearly, the business is just a Wiki farm, why would it need anything else?

I don't know how it works in the States post-Enron, but in the UK, no chartered accountant would sign off the sorts of things hinted at above without some major qualifications.

Basically, the foundation has not grasped it needs to spend money on the basics. It is so amateurish that they really don't understand the essentials of running a business. If I was the IRS, I'd be having a field day. I hope Jimbo hasn't upset them in a former life (well, I hope he has, actually).
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 24th January 2008, 4:04am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 24th January 2008, 5:15am) *

It is no surprise to me that the organization running a Top Ten website would not have figured out a way to automatically produce a printable PDF receipt for every donor, at the time of the transaction. This is the Wikimedia Foundation way -- spout off about freedom and knowledge, head up ass on all practical matters of the real world operation of a non-profit organization.

Wikipedia is just a web site. All you need is a heap of servers. I don't think it ever occurred to anyone that they would need business skills. Hey, this is Web 2.0 - JFDI.

It reminds me of the .com boom where people were writing columns about how stupid old fashioned businesses were because they were bound in bureaucracy, whereas the likes of <name your favourite .com failure> didn't need that because they could just Do_It! Ernst Young were quite happy to lend 3 noobies £250k with an idea as long as we delivered it in March, when we said we needed November. We walked away, especially after realising that EY made money regardless, we signed our lives away and the VCs knew they were looking for the 1 in 100 punt.

WMF is the same - on the surface it is successful, but even after 4 years it hasn't dawned on them that they need business people to run the business. Sand and foundations, me thinks.

PS Yea, OpenOffice is an open source copy of Office, with a surprising number of carry-overs of bad ways to do things (like how pictures leap about the page if you are foolish enough to want to save or edit your document), however, for Windows users it is useful does include a free PDF generator. If OpenSource is so great, why are all their products clones of commercial ideas, often blatant rip-offs? I like FireFox, it went its own way, but why didn't someone sit down and start with a blank sheet of paper?

Issuing serially numbered receipts for all donations should be a done as a matter of course. This is a basic control that assures the validity of the documentation. Being a web site I can't imagine that they receive many paper checks or cash. An audit trail should be easy to establish. But the lack of serially numbered record of donations might still provide avenues of abuse. It is the kind of thing that you would have to give some thought to imagine how bad actors might exploit the weakness. Not to mention the just plain common sense good practice of being able to thank donors.
Nathan
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 24th January 2008, 12:15am) *

Tarantino, I have no idea what OpenOffice software is, but I'll assume it's some hippie-dippy Freelove version of Microsoft's monolithic Office suite. Is what you quoted above the sum total of the message? If there's more, please post it in its entirety.

As everyone else has said, yes, that's what OpenOffice is. I use that myself. I don't see the point of paying for software when I get a reasonable facsimile of it for free smiling.gif

But I digress...
thekohser
A blast from FloFlo's past...

Here was one of her "4 wishes for the year 2007":

Related to financial sustainability, the audit completed on our first three years of operations will be a major asset in the future. Such an audit is essential to get big donations and grants. It required a lot of effort in the past months, and hopefully the path in front of us is less steep.
Aloft
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...ary/038203.html
Sue Gardner wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> Any update on the audit?
>>
>> Months ago we were hoping for completion during the fundraiser. How
>> are things going?
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> foundation-l mailing list
>> foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>> Unsubscribe: http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>>
> The audit is done; we're just waiting for board approval to release the
> financial statements. That'll probably happen within a few days :-)

Yup. I just came back from Davos last night, pretty tired. I published a
resolution on the board wiki, for the board to approve the release.
We have a board meeting the 31st. I expect this resolution will be
approved at that meeting.

Ant
thekohser
I don't recall from previous years there being any need for the Board to pow-wow over the release of the financial audit like this. Sounds like there might be some dirt in this one, and Flo's probably pushing for full disclosure of it, but knows that there might be some -bo on the Board who might rather keep certain portions of it in a calm, loving, lock-box.

Greg
thekohser
FloFlo is teasing the peanut gallery with off-stage rumblings of a release of financial data.

However, usually-spot-on Anthony is warning us that we may only be privy to the financials this year, and not the audit firm's "recommendations for the future" document. Surely, we could practically write that document ourselves with two key points:

(1) Are you f**king serious that you hired a convicted felon to mangage your operations?

(2) Jimbo needs to stop comingling his self-dealing Wikia activities with those of the Foundation.

I love how this audit was supposed to be ready in late October, then before end of December, then before end of January, and now we're nearly a week into February and still no audited financials.

Greg
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 6th February 2008, 6:23pm) *

FloFlo is teasing the peanut gallery with off-stage rumblings of a release of financial data.

However, usually-spot-on Anthony is warning us that we may only be privy to the financials this year, and not the audit firm's "recommendations for the future" document. Surely, we could practically write that document ourselves with two key points:

(1) Are you f**king serious that you hired a convicted felon to mangage your operations?

(2) Jimbo needs to stop comingling his self-dealing Wikia activities with those of the Foundation.

I love how this audit was supposed to be ready in late October, then before end of December, then before end of January, and now we're nearly a week into February and still no audited financials.

Greg

Note that the resolution "be and hereby are" is not understood and turned into a typo which the edit supposedly is removing.
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 6th February 2008, 1:43pm) *

Note that the resolution "be and hereby are" is not understood and turned into a typo which the edit supposedly is removing.

That's the beauty of heading up an American non-profit with a French woman having no experience writing encyclopedias or running non-profits.

Also, notice that Jimbo wasn't just absent from the meeting, he was "missing". Someone should send out a search and rescue party!

Gotta love the FloFlo!

Greg
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 6th February 2008, 9:25pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 6th February 2008, 1:43pm) *

That's the beauty of heading up an American non-profit with a French woman having no experience writing encyclopedias or running non-profits.

Also, notice that Jimbo wasn't just absent from the meeting, he was "missing". Someone should send out a search and rescue party!

Gotta love the FloFlo!

Greg

Anyway, I need it to stretch out another 23 days, don't hassle!
Sarcasticidealist
Here it is.
thekohser
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Fri 8th February 2008, 3:04am) *

Here it is.

06:43 UTC February 08, 2008.

Our betting pool winner appears to be GlassBeadGame:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=69820

...who was only 26+ hours off from the actual release.

We'll need GBG to confirm the donation to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and let's talk about what we write on our check's "memo" field or in the PayPal "comments" field to get some attention.

Discussion on Foundation-l list.
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 8th February 2008, 10:27am) *

QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Fri 8th February 2008, 3:04am) *

Here it is.

06:43 UTC February 08, 2008.

Our betting pool winner appears to be GlassBeadGame:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=69820

...who was only 26+ hours off from the actual release.

We'll need GBG to confirm the donation to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and let's talk about what we write on our check's "memo" field or in the PayPal "comments" field to get some attention.

Discussion on Foundation-l list.

Is GBG or someone going to audit my assessment of this contest? I would like to get our collective donations together, so that WR is seen to stand behind its principles of honesty and follow-through. Perhaps screen captures of our donations to the Gates Foundation would be a nice photo collage.

I'll bet Somey could come up with something really funny to put in our payments' "Memo" field.

Greg
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th January 2008, 5:08pm) *

I know this is just a fun game, but am I the only one who thinks these 11th-hour guesses are a bit unfair? They have the advantage of not guessing days already passed.

Can I get 5 bucks on 8 Feb?

gomi
Does the Gates Foundation even accept small, unsolicited donations? If GBG wants the donation made there, please supply instructions.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 11th February 2008, 4:15pm) *

Does the Gates Foundation even accept small, unsolicited donations? If GBG wants the donation made there, please supply instructions.

You mean I won? I based my estimate on what I thought was a ridiculous period of time to complete the audit.

I looked over the BMGF website and they don't seem to solicit donations directly. They do however provide links to web sites of groups they fund, and encourage. I would suggest giving the donation to Orphan Support Africa, which is largely funded by BMGF, although it itself is modest in size. This link goes directly the donation page.

And that is already more than Wikipedia will ever do for for that "Child in Africa."

I can’t speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself. I’m doing this for the child in Africa who is going to use free textbooks and reference works produced by our community and find a solution to the crushing poverty that surrounds him. But for this child, a website on the Internet is not enough; we need to find ways to get our work to people in a form they can actually use.
---Jimmy Wales, Sole FlounderFORUM Image

I never heard Mr. Gates say all children in Africa need are Hotmail accounts. BMGF and WMF make quite a stark contrast.
Nathan
Apparently you can donate directly to the Gates Foundation via Facebook.
thekohser
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 11th February 2008, 6:51pm) *

I would suggest giving the donation to Orphan Support Africa, which is largely funded by BMGF, although it itself is modest in size. This link goes directly the donation page.

I really like the public relations lift WR might get for supporting Orphan Support Africa.

Now, all we need is a Memo-field comment from Somey, which we would each parrot on our checks and PayPal submissions, to wryly underscore how we raised this grassroots money thanks to the WMF's audit incompetence.

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.