Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fundraiser - tough going?
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
Pages: 1, 2
victim of censorship
QUOTE(One @ Sun 11th January 2009, 9:10pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 11th January 2009, 8:29pm) *

Okay, how does this work in practice? My 501-c-3 secretary goes down to Office Max to buy a stapler. She can't exactly say: "Don't let the register ring up sales tax, we're a 501".

Do you keep all those sales receipts and file a tax form with the state at the end of the year, asking for a rebate? Same for your gas pump receipts and the Fed and State taxes there?

You bring a copy of a letter from your organization's accountant/lawyer advising that "The Non-Profit Group X is an exempt organization within the meaning of the Chicago Sales Tax...All purchases or rentals made by The Non-Profit Group X are exempt from taxes under the provisions of the Illinois Retailers' Occupation Tax Act, the Illinois Service Tax Act... ect." This letter also includes a copy of the tax exemption number issued by your state's Department of Revenue.

In my experience at OfficeMax (yes, I've done this at OfficeMax), the checkout clerk gawks at it, and probably calls over their supervisor. Then they ring the tax off of your purchase.

Apparently being a non-profit isn't enough for some states to allow an exemption. Harvard would have to pay sales taxes in several states.

This is true... as a 501 -c-3, the tax is exempt.. the rule is what you have purchase can't be resold.

I'ts to bad wiki media foundation can't be called to task for it's volitions of 501 c-3 as regards to Political campaigning. ( see and compare the Obama wiki entry vers The McCain one... look at the editing history and see if a case can be made)
One
QUOTE(the_undertow @ Fri 16th January 2009, 11:08am) *

My point was that asserting that WMF does not pay taxes, by virtue of the fact that they are a 'charity,' which I hold so esteemed with the Mormon church and Scientology is not correct.

Are you trolling me, or just pointlessly provocative?

Look, I don't know anything about this. All I know is that I've walked into and OfficeMax, showed them a letter, and purchased card stock tax-free on behalf of a charitable organization. I've done this in grocery stores too. Given this non-technical experience, I also thought your sweeping statement ("Not-for-profits absolutely pay sales tax") seemed wrong to me. That's all.

I find this page from Harvard purchasing genuinely interesting--the precise requirements clearly vary state-to-state. Can we leave it at that?
the_undertow
QUOTE(One @ Fri 16th January 2009, 12:36pm) *

QUOTE(the_undertow @ Fri 16th January 2009, 11:08am) *

My point was that asserting that WMF does not pay taxes, by virtue of the fact that they are a 'charity,' which I hold so esteemed with the Mormon church and Scientology is not correct.

Are you trolling me, or just pointlessly provocative?

Look, I don't know anything about this. All I know is that I've walked into and OfficeMax, showed them a letter, and purchased card stock tax-free on behalf of a charitable organization. I've done this in grocery stores too. Given this non-technical experience, I also thought your sweeping statement ("Not-for-profits absolutely pay sales tax") seemed wrong to me. That's all.

I find this page from Harvard purchasing genuinely interesting--the precise requirements clearly vary state-to-state. Can we leave it at that?

Absolutely. My blanket statement was incorrect. Non-profits pay sales tax BUT enjoy the luxury of alleviation by going through certain channels, as per the link you provided.

I am happy to leave it alone. I was being obtuse.
Moulton
Clearly this was an acute case of angling to characterize an obtuse remark as being diametrically opposed to the direction of the initial thread.

Now that we have come full circle, perhaps we can depart this plane via a normal exit.
the_undertow
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 17th January 2009, 5:36am) *

Clearly this was an acute case of angling to characterize an obtuse remark as being diametrically opposed to the direction of the initial thread.

Now that we have come full circle, perhaps we can depart this plane via a normal exit.

Don't make me call you Moulton. You know how I can ramble on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.