> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
Pages: 1, 2
Cedric
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 27th October 2010, 7:41am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 11:48am) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:14am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 4:32am) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:51pm) *

...and has done nothing to warrant any media attention...

How did she get onto CNN.com, then?

By being interviewed, and it looks like she was selected by the reporter because she represented what the reporter considered to be an average person in that scenario.

So, CNN reported on a common phenomenon, focusing on an average person. But, you didn't see fit to go protest CNN in 2006?

I trust that you will never again complain about Wikipedia having a biography on anyone again.

No matter how unnotable they are, if the information is verifiable online, Kohs believes that's fair game.

With that mantra, I now list you you as an associate on [[List of Wikipedia Kool-aid drinkers]].

Since when is the Examiner.com in the same position as Wikipedia simply because both appear online? This is like saying it is appropriate to feed an African elephant the same diet that would serve for a marmoset simply because both happen to be mammals. That being said, I am of the same mind as Somey here. It seems to me that Greg probably erred here in terms of emphasis, not basic propriety.

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 27th October 2010, 9:12am) *

The hair-pulling and breast beating about the invasion of privacy stuff is a bit much too though, because she did, after all, put this all out there herself, and while her FB photo has a youthful appearance, she's clearly not a teenager.

This is all true enough, but overlooks the fact that the Frei Kultur Kinder expect to held to a higher standard of protection than ordinary mortals because they perceive themselves engaged in a holy mission to deliver "the sum of all human knowledge" to "every single person on the planet". This is yet another manifestation of the wikipediot hypocrisy that we have been observing for years.
anthony

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Steven Walling <swalling@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today Wikimedia Foundation Exec. Director Sue Gardner will be in this
> week's installment of IRC office hours at 23:00 UTC. As usual, the
> format is completely open, so bring any burning questions you might have
> to the #wikimedia-office channel on irc.freenode.net. Local times and
> instructions for accessing the chat, including for those without an IRC
> client, can be found on Meta at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours. The log of the
> discussion will be publicly posted on that page afterwards for those
> cannot attend.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
> Steven Walling
> Wikimedia Foundation Fellow
> (wikimediafoundation.org)

1) "As usual, the format is completely open" laugh.gif
2) Wikimedia Foundation Fellow?
thekohser
QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:07pm) *

2) Wikimedia Foundation Fellow?

More about the Community Fellowship scam.
anthony
Also, Friday 2010-11-05 22:00 UTC (local times) Philippe Beaudette and the fundraising staff Open format
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 11:57am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 27th October 2010, 10:12am) *

I commented on the blog yesterday, but her resume looks quite good for the job.

Greg looks very silly begging her to comment there. The Godwin/Sue article looked like a step in the direction of "legitimizing" Greg's work, and a few more like that would have only made the foundation look worse for keeping all the blocks and bans in place.

The hair-pulling and breast beating about the invasion of privacy stuff is a bit much too though, because she did, after all, put this all out there herself, and while her FB photo has a youthful appearance, she's clearly not a teenager.

What exactly is her job? How do you know what her work would detail, to draw the conclusion about whether or not her resume is a good fit? I'd love to know -- I'm not being facetious. Beaudette only elaborated that she would be "beginning with internal protocols, and building out scalable support systems". What does that mean?

I could be wrong, but I got the impression she was in the community organizing dept. That actually makes several modicums of sense if you've ever worked in that field.

Sorry that I look silly asking for the subject of a news article to feel welcome to participate in the discussion, and even offering to modify or even potentially delete content that they feel is unfair. Do you really think that my articles on Godwin and about Gardner were putting me on the verge of being accepted back into various Wikimedia communities as a "legitimate" journalist? Wow! I didn't know I was so close. Too bad I really blew it with this one.

That's not what I said rolleyes.gif. The Wikimedia communities will almost certainly just keep banning you, but my hope was that they'd look even sillier for doing so.

Again, I don't think you've done a horrible thing or anything, it just looks a bit petty. And the reason you look silly is because she probably just doesn't care.

She is 33 years old. She'll be 34 in a couple of weeks.

Cool. Party on!
Kelly Martin
I think it's perfectly legitimate to publicly question the propriety of any staff hire at the Wikimedia Foundation. It's fairly obvious that they hire people because they like them, and find jobs for them after they've been hired (or at least pretend to). So it's perfectly reasonable to question how this woman got this job, what exactly she's supposed to be do, and even why Baudette needs an assistant.

Greg's approach may be less than ideal, but the idea that this woman is, or ought to be, exempt from scrutiny is absurd. This is all part and parcel of working for a charitable organization.
powercorrupts
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 27th October 2010, 11:43pm) *

It's fairly obvious that they hire people because they like them, and find jobs for them after they've been hired (or at least pretend to).

Why not? It's how they fill their admin ranks. Upwardly mobile and ethically challenged people have a kind of aura which they can mutually sense. You can take it for granted that no WFoundation employee will come from a genuinely charitable background. Genuinely good people wouldn't quite fit their particular corporate ethos.
jayvdb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 10:48am) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:14am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 4:32am) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:51pm) *

...and has done nothing to warrant any media attention...

How did she get onto CNN.com, then?

By being interviewed, and it looks like she was selected by the reporter because she represented what the reporter considered to be an average person in that scenario.

So, CNN reported on a common phenomenon, focusing on an average person. But, you didn't see fit to go protest CNN in 2006?

It appears that she was willingly interviewed by the CNN reporter. It is obvious that she was not a willing focus of your piece.

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 27th October 2010, 10:43pm) *

I think it's perfectly legitimate to publicly question the propriety of any staff hire at the Wikimedia Foundation. It's fairly obvious that they hire people because they like them, and find jobs for them after they've been hired (or at least pretend to). So it's perfectly reasonable to question how this woman got this job, what exactly she's supposed to be do, and even why Baudette needs an assistant.

Greg's approach may be less than ideal, but the idea that this woman is, or ought to be, exempt from scrutiny is absurd. This is all part and parcel of working for a charitable organization.

I can agree with this.
thekohser
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Wed 27th October 2010, 9:03pm) *

It appears that she was willingly interviewed by the CNN reporter. It is obvious that she was not a willing focus of your piece.

If that's the new standard for media inclusion, then I'm sure folks like Tony Hayward will appreciate that. After all, he just wanted to return home and get his life back.

Now that the WMF and all its staff are apparently instructed not to engage me, I guess that means (by the Jayvdb Rule) I am disallowed from writing about any of them, ever. I suppose I'll go ask Examiner to shut down my account.
anthony
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 27th October 2010, 7:01pm) *

Again, I don't think you've done a horrible thing or anything, it just looks a bit petty. And the reason you look silly is because she probably just doesn't care.

After reading the CNN story (about the prudent saver) and Googling "average student loan debt" ($23,186 among graduating seniors), I finally figured out why I thought he looked silly.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 9:15pm) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Wed 27th October 2010, 9:03pm) *

If that's the new standard for media inclusion, then I'm sure folks like Tony Hayward will appreciate that. After all, he just wanted to return home and get his life back.

Now that the WMF and all its staff are apparently instructed not to engage me, I guess that means (by the Jayvdb Rule) I am disallowed from writing about any of them, ever. I suppose I'll go ask Examiner to shut down my account.

Not so fast, Buster !!!

Not until we get our jollies dragging you through 14 or 15 AfD proceedings …

Jon tongue.gif
thekohser
Moulton's media ethicist colleague has weighed in (on Barry's Facebook page), and the ruling is...

IT WAS A HATCHET JOB!

Therefore, a new version of the article is now published on Examiner!

Now, the ethical question is... what to do with all the comments that referenced the old version of the article?
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th October 2010, 5:50am) *

Moulton's media ethicist colleague has weighed in (on Barry's Facebook page), and the ruling is...

IT WAS A HATCHET JOB!

Therefore, a new version of the article is now published on Examiner!

Now, the ethical question is... what to do with all the comments that referenced the old version of the article?

If it was my article, I'd can the comments and close commenting. You modified the article heavily in response to the comments, so they are now commenting on something that's not there any more. You noted that in the story, so you're done. Move on to your next scoop.

If there's any consolation, at least you are being compared to Sherlock Holmes (albeit in a blog post that quotes him as a 'high-functioning sociopath').
thekohser
I've deleted the comments and replies that focused criticism on the original article, but I am not one to "close comments" on an article. Examiner's comment monitoring application is nice, in that I can see the most recent comment left on any of my articles, regardless of when it was published. So, if the tone gets nasty again on this article (or any), I will still see it, even if it's months down the road.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th October 2010, 7:51am) *

I've deleted the comments and replies that focused criticism on the original article, but I am not one to "close comments" on an article. Examiner's comment monitoring application is nice, in that I can see the most recent comment left on any of my articles, regardless of when it was published. So, if the tone gets nasty again on this article (or any), I will still see it, even if it's months down the road.

This is why you're not a troll. Trolls don't have ethics, or listen to critics. Trolls never admit to error of any sort.

Ottava, take note of the difference.
thekohser
It's curious, because when I published the original piece about Moellenberndt, I had a gut feeling that I had gone too far in casting her in a bad light. Based on my subsequent readings of her LiveJournal blog, I feel quite strongly that she is a particularly bad choice for working with the Wikimedia "community" as we see it, but there wasn't a need to turn that personal opinion into a news piece.

I do apologize for my actions to those I hurt or offended.

I continue to believe that Philippe Beaudette is ill-suited for any role that manages other people, because he is not honest or open about his accountable actions.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th October 2010, 3:16pm) *

I do apologize for my actions to those I hurt or offended.

What about those who were annoyed or slightly disappointed?
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th October 2010, 3:16pm) *

I continue to believe that Philippe Beaudette is ill-suited for any role that manages other people, because he is not honest or open about his accountable actions.

Yup.
It's the blimp, Frank
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:00pm) *

Greg this is the same type of amoral self-justifying shite we regularly get from the worst BLP violators and kool-aid drinkers on Wikipedia.

You are even beginning to sound like JoshuaZ.

Did you know that JoshuaZ has a twin?
thekohser
Moellenberndt is starting to earn her keep.

A couple of weeks ago, our old pal Calton Bolick (or someone impersonating him) was mouthing off on a news blog, as follows:

Reading the idiotic postings on this thread by the usual cast of GOP NASCAR invisible beings in the sky worshipping jackoffs makes me even more convinced that China will own our asses soon...and I welcome it.

Calton Bolick
Wikipedia Admin

Posted by: Calton Bolick | October 22, 2010 at 07:28 PM

Note that Calton isn't actually a Wikipedia administrator (saints be praised).

So, Christine decided to ask Calton to clarify his status:

Admin, or not Admin?

On your Talk page, you state in item #1 that you are not a Wikipedia admin. However, in your recent posting on the KTLA blog[1], you sign off as a Wikipedia Admin. When discussing your relationship to any website, you may want to ensure that you refer to yourself as the correct title to avoid any embarrassment to yourself or any inconvenience to the site you are referencing. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at readers at wikimedia.org. Thanks! Christine (WMF) (talk) 23:47, 22 October 2010 (UTC)

Moellenberndt is also working on suicide intervention techniques, one by one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.