Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Gerard's misguided tweets...
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Gerard
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
MBisanz
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:26pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 12:23pm) *
I understand the defamation issue, but can anybody clarify the issues surrounding Godwin's question "was David Gerard punished fairly for a *substantive* violation of administrative standards"? To what degree of fairness is somebody legally entitled for administrative privileges on a private website? I would have thought not a lot, but I'm not really a very good law student.
How many times have we been told that "Wikipedia does not do due process"? Are we now to believe that David Gerard is an exception to that aphorism?

I believe I was yelled higher up in this very thread for saying the same thing.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 2:26pm) *
How many times have we been told that "Wikipedia does not do due process"?
That was certainly my understanding. But when you see a lawyer with recognized expertise in, as he put it, "the law of online communities" imply otherwise, it stirs up some doubt.
Random832
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:23pm) *

I understand the defamation issue, but can anybody clarify the issues surrounding Godwin's question "was David Gerard punished fairly for a *substantive* violation of administrative standards"? To what degree of fairness is somebody legally entitled for administrative privileges on a private website? I would have thought not a lot, but I'm not really a very good law student.

You know... looking past the particular personalities involved - this could be a step in... well, I won't say the right direction, but if it leads to either actual standards of fairness, or more likely at least an inability to silence other people's demands to be treated fairly, this could be something positive.

This is of course, if such a step is actually taken, rather than expediently used to save David Gerard and then ignored in the future.
trenton
and Gerard was the one who wanted things to be done in public (if you remember his now oversighted talk page). The arbcom tried to talk to him and get him to resign quietly.

So he wants things done in public, doesn't like the outcome, whines to Godwin, and everything is covered up.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 12:38pm) *
You know... looking past the particular personalities involved - this could be a step in... well, I won't say the right direction, but if it leads to either actual standards of fairness, or more likely at least an inability to silence other people's demands to be treated fairly, this could be something positive.
Yes, it's certainly possible that this could lead to more responsible dispute resolution practices in Wikipedia, but at this point it seems just as likely just to lead to equally arbitrary, but more opaque, practices. Only time will tell.
Random832
If nothing else it should at least be entertaining. Looks like ChrisO is trying to start yet another "let's recall the whole Arbcom" movement that will get nowhere.

popcorn.gif
MBisanz
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:42pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 12:38pm) *
Yes, it's certainly possible that this could lead to more responsible dispute resolution practices in Wikipedia, but at this point it seems just as likely just to lead to equally arbitrary, but more opaque, practices. Only time will tell.

This is probably one of the general strengths of the jury trial system. If defendants knew exactly why a jury had convicted them, there would be endless appeals of "they weighed the wrong facts," "they missed this important thing," etc. Leaving it as a black box from which a decision pops out does have some advantages to finality.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 2:47pm) *
Leaving it as a black box from which a decision pops out does have some advantages to finality.
Except for the part where the judge's instructions are then picked apart and appealed on the most spurious grounds. The problem's exacerbated up here by the fact that we have so few jury trials, so judges don't have much experience with instruction.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:15pm) *

This new evidence shoot numerous large holes in what my understanding was thus far and concerns me on several levels.

"I've been following this discussion, and it seems to me that the case for removing David Gerard's checkuser and oversight functions has not been made in any way that meets what I as a lawyer would characterize as due-process and evidentiary standards... Please communicate to all involved my strong personal and professional preference that they reconsider this decision." Mike Godwin

Just exactly how stupid is this guy. Checkuser and Functionary list membership are not a 'rights' afforded by a court of law. Giving or taking them is not a legal thing that requires 'due-process' or 'evidentiary standards' in the way that Godwin has implied. Godwin himself is barely a member of the community. How many featured articles has he written? (considering he's acting outside of his role as legal council).

On the one hand, Godwin is causing text and links to be censored that show Gerard not reaching the level of decorum expected of checkusers and functionaries, while on the other he's demanding 'due-process' with 'evidentiary standards' for what? ... to show that Gerard fails to reach the level of decorum expected of checkusers and functionaries.

Unfucking believable
Random832
So we've got:
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee/Audit_Subcommittee
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee/Noticeboard#John.27s_resignation
  • this thread
  • the other thread

Anywhere else?
Kelly Martin
One wonders if anyone involved in this entire process has ever read §61 of Robert's Rules. The editors of that august work set out several good arguments why public disciplinary proceedings for members of a voluntary organization might not be a good idea. Wikipedia's dispute resolution process manages to breach every one of the recommendations made therein.
Doc glasgow
The problem is not lack of process, the problem is the quazi-legal rubbish that James Forrester bequeathed to arbcom. Tools are not rights, and the motion should not worry about facts and findings, it should simply be:

"given recent events, we the members of the arbitration committee no longer have confidence in David's Gerard holding these tools. Since we grant them, we therefor remove them"

That says nothing about David Gerard, makes no "findings" but simply asserts that holding the tools is determined by retaining the (wholy subjective) confidence of the community-elected elected arbcom.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 1:13pm) *

The problem is not lack of process, the problem is the quazi-legal rubbish that James Forrester bequeathed to arbcom. Tools are not rights, and the motion should not worry about facts and findings, it should simply be:

"given recent events, we the members of the arbitration committee no longer have confidence in David's Gerard holding these tools. Since we grant them, we therefor remove them"

That says nothing about David Gerard, makes no "findings" but simply asserts that holding the tools is determined by retaining the (wholy subjective) confidence of the community-elected elected arbcom.
James is not wholly responsible for that travesty; Fred Bauder also has a lot to do with it. Both of them (and several other former arbs) saw their service on the committee as an opportunity to Play Judge, and kitted the entire experience out with the trappings of a court of law, while at the same time denying any of the actual protections that one expects in such an environment.

I argued, both while on the committee and after leaving it, that the committee should resolve most matters before it on summary motion, without detail, sparing the "full monty" for cases that truly demanded it. However, the legal wonks enjoyed their game, and were loath to give it up.

§61 of RONR urges that disciplinary issues be investigated confidentially, and that the assembly refrain from making public statements that might prejudice or defame persons suspected or accused of malfeasance, even after the assembly is satisfied that malfeasance has occurred. The disciplinary body of a voluntary organization should publicly comment on its investigations of a member only in order to respond to the statements of that member, and only to the degree necessary to do so; to do otherwise opens the members of the disciplinary committee (or the members of the organization as a whole) to liability without providing any benefit to the organization or to the members thereof.

Once again, we have a case of Wikipedia ignoring the sage wisdom of those who came before because of their vain belief that they are, in all matters, sui generis.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:13pm) *

Yes.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:23pm) *

James is not wholly responsible for that travesty; Fred Bauder also has a lot to do with it. Both of them (and several other former arbs) saw their service on the committee as an opportunity to Play Judge, and kitted the entire experience out with the trappings of a court of law, while at the same time denying any of the actual protections that one expects in such an environment.

I argued, both while on the committee and after leaving it, that the committee should resolve most matters before it on summary motion, without detail, sparing the "full monty" for cases that truly demanded it. However, the legal wonks enjoyed their game, and were loath to give it up.

§61 of RONR urges that disciplinary issues be investigated confidentially, and that the assembly refrain from making public statements that might prejudice or defame persons suspected or accused of malfeasance, even after the assembly is satisfied that malfeasance has occurred. The disciplinary body of a voluntary organization should publicly comment on its investigations of a member only in order to respond to the statements of that member, and only to the degree necessary to do so; to do otherwise opens the members of the disciplinary committee (or the members of the organization as a whole) to liability without providing any benefit to the organization or to the members thereof.

Once again, we have a case of Wikipedia ignoring the sage wisdom of those who came before because of their vain belief that they are, in all matters, sui generis.

That sounds like very good advice.

The arbcom did ok on the first half, considering the matter in private, but erred on the second half, making a public announcement. The problem is that's how Wikipedia runs; when the arbcom takes action they generally announce it - and the community demands as much. When someone gets blocked, a reason is generally given. I object to Gerard getting special treatment on this matter, especially after all the personal insults he's spewed over the years on the world's biggest reference site.

MBisanz
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:13pm) *

That probably would have been the cleanest finding. It is interesting that I recall under New York law, there is an obscure provision known as an Article 78 proceeding that, in part, states the decision of a body can be reviewed by a state court if it makes a:
...a determination was made in violation of lawful procedure, was affected by an error of law or was arbitrary and capricious or an abuse of discretion, including abuse of discretion as to the measure or mode of penalty or discipline imposed; or...[emphasis mine]

Now, in NY, I'm told that 90% of the time these proceedings are brought against government agencies, but the other 10% of the time they are brought against private organizations, which in NY also includes unincorporated groups of more than 5 or 12 people who act with a common purpose (I don't have the exact language handy). I don't know what the laws of Florida, California, or the UK have to say about "arbitrary" actions, but it does seem odd that Mike would use a phrase that is a legal term of art in describing Arbcom's actions.
Tarc
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 1:46pm) *

If nothing else it should at least be entertaining. Looks like ChrisO is trying to start yet another "let's recall the whole Arbcom" movement that will get nowhere.

popcorn.gif

Most likely because this AC committee was the one that sacked him.

MBisanz
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:23pm) *

Yes, if you see my post right above, at least in NY, that is why RONR suggest such methods to avoid liability for defamation, since it probably exists even in a situation as informal as arbcom.
Peter Damian
Revenge: best served cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=253892048

Delicious.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 3:56pm) *
I don't follow - who are you saying is getting revenge on whom?
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:32pm) *

That probably would have been the cleanest finding. It is interesting that I recall under New York law, there is an obscure provision known as an Article 78 proceeding that, in part, states the decision of a body can be reviewed by a state court if it makes a:
...a determination was made in violation of lawful procedure, was affected by an error of law or was arbitrary and capricious or an abuse of discretion, including abuse of discretion as to the measure or mode of penalty or discipline imposed; or...[emphasis mine]

Now, in NY, I'm told that 90% of the time these proceedings are brought against government agencies, but the other 10% of the time they are brought against private organizations, which in NY also includes unincorporated groups of more than 5 or 12 people who act with a common purpose (I don't have the exact language handy). I don't know what the laws of Florida, California, or the UK have to say about "arbitrary" actions, but it does seem odd that Mike would use a phrase that is a legal term of art in describing Arbcom's actions.

I believe that Mr. Godwin just opened one hell of a pandora's box.
InkBlot
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 1:58pm) *

Peter is rummaging through his own personal luggage. The link is to a discussion from a year ago when Giano discovered David Gerard had oversighted an edit of FT2's on grounds of...well, on grounds of DG thinking it ought to go away. Kerflufle errupts much later, but fails to gain much steam on-wiki, since oversighting was new, not everybody knew how to use it right, DG meant well, etc., etc.

If David Gerard was going to lose oversight privileges, that would have been a good precedent...but he didn't. No audit committee existed yet, and as Thatcher points out in that link, not much thought had ever been given to how one might audit oversighting activity. In fact, I'd say it's that event plus Thatcher's persistence that eventually made the audit subcommittee a reality, but I digress.

I believe Peter's saying this is his revenge, for all the muck he tried to rake back then failing to gain sufficient attention. For more on his side of things, look here - since most of the topics there are from him.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(InkBlot @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:21pm) *
I believe Peter's saying this is his revenge, for all the muck he tried to rake back then failing to gain sufficient attention. For more on his side of things, look here - since most of the topics there are from him.
Doesn't revenge require some involvement on the part of the avenging party? I thought maybe Peter was saying that he'd somehow caused this turn of events, maybe by tipping off ArbCom to the blog post.

Anyway, that's a dumb semantic debate, and I apologize for starting it. Back to dumb governance debates!
Apathetic
Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee/Noticeboard#David_Gerard:_statement_by_ArbCom

Someone might want to webcite this and the resulting discussion!
cyofee
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:26pm) *

They don't mention that they've taken away his Checkuser and Oversight bits? Looks like I can't read.

Does anyone have any idea what the "potentially libellous information" could have been?
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:26pm) *

Oh this is just too much. Gerard uses his position as checkuser, along with printing a private email on his blog, to ridicule someone. And when called on it, goes into slash and censor mode, demanding that any review of his actions be removed, because pointing his childish behavior, which was clearly harmful, might cause him harm. This is hypocracy^2 - you just can't make this shit up.
gomi
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 12:26pm) *

David Gerard: statement by ArbCom

Yesterday, a member of ArbCom deleted and suppressed an announcement and two discussions under the heading of "David Gerard". David had expressed a good faith concern that our original and revised announcements could harm him in real life. Although several arbitrators felt that the announcement was proper, we all agreed that we should do no harm when it comes to living people--including our long-time contributor David Gerard. We reached an agreement where our original remarks would be removed but the removal of his oversight and checkuser rights would remain in force. Although arbitrators were worried that a Streisand-like effect would occur, this suppression was the desire of David Gerard, who felt defamed by the comments, and it is proper under the oversight policy ("Removal of potentially libellous information").

For the Arbitration Committee, Roger Davies talk 20:22, 2 December 2009 (UTC)

Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(cyofee @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:33pm) *
They don't mention that they've taken away his Checkuser and Oversight bits?
Um, yes, they do. And they quite explicitly state (contrary to Cade Metz's report) that their decision to do so stands.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:33pm) *

Oh this is just too much. Gerard uses his position as checkuser, along with printing a private email on his blog, to ridicule someone. And when called on it, goes into slash and censor mode, demanding that any review of his actions be removed, because pointing his childish behavior, that was meant to harm someone, might cause him harm. This is hypocracy^2 - you just can't make this shit up.

He objected to the specific language of the announcement, which was more strongly worded than was perhaps appropriate.
Sarcasticidealist
So here's a question - we know Wikileaker was on arbcom-l until former Arbs were kicked off. Doesn't that mean that unless he's Raul or Jayjg, which he presumably is not, he's now on functionaries-l? Does this fact have any kind of chilling effect on what goes out over that list? I gather from Metz's article that it doesn't. Should it?
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:36pm) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:33pm) *

Oh this is just too much. Gerard uses his position as checkuser, along with printing a private email on his blog, to ridicule someone. And when called on it, goes into slash and censor mode, demanding that any review of his actions be removed, because pointing his childish behavior, that was meant to harm someone, might cause him harm. This is hypocracy^2 - you just can't make this shit up.

He objected to the specific language of the announcement, which was more strongly worded than was perhaps appropriate.

Oh yes, after calling someone a "waste of skin". What a fucking hypocritical crybaby.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:39pm) *
Oh yes, after calling someone a "waste of skin". What a fucking hypocritical crybaby.
I don't think "waste of skin" could possibly be held to be defamatory. "Has abused checkuser in a manner contrary to policy", or whatever the wording was, probably could be.

(Defamation is one of the few areas of law that I understand reasonably well outside of exam time.)
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:39pm) *

So here's a question - we know Wikileaker was on arbcom-l until former Arbs were kicked off. Doesn't that mean that unless he's Raul or Jayjg, which he presumably is not, he's now on functionaries-l? Does this fact have any kind of chilling effect on what goes out over that list? I gather from Metz's article that it doesn't. Should it?

It does now.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:41pm) *

I don't think "waste of skin" could possibly be held to be defamatory. "Has abused checkuser in a manner contrary to policy", or whatever the wording was, probably could be.

(Defamation is one of the few areas of law that I understand reasonably well outside of exam time.)

I don't recall the arbcom announcement stating that DG abused CU. I think they said he failed to live up to the level of decorum expected, or something along those lines. Of course it's all been censored now.

But just think about door that Godwin opened in demanding this oversight. By this standard, pretty much anyone with a RL identity connected to their account name who's ever been in a heated argument on wikipedia can go have wide swaths of history wiped from the project.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:45pm) *
I don't recall the arbcom announcement stating that DG abused CU.
My recollection was that there were two parts - failing to live up to decorum and inappropriate use of the tool. But I don't have the wording in front of me, so my memory could be off.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 7:58pm) *

On Gerard. For it was he who oversighted the famous edits. Actually it's only truly revenge if one is the cause of his downfall, and I can't claim that. Still, happy to dance here on a skull or two.

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:26pm) *

Doesn't revenge require some involvement on the part of the avenging party? I thought maybe Peter was saying that he'd somehow caused this turn of events, maybe by tipping off ArbCom to the blog post.

Very true, see above. But is anyone going to deny me my bit of pleasure? Speak up.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:46pm) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:45pm) *
I don't recall the arbcom announcement stating that DG abused CU.
My recollection was that there were two parts - failing to live up to decorum and inappropriate use of the tool. But I don't have the wording in front of me, so my memory could be off.

Anyone else remember if the announcement specifically stated that DG misused the tool? I don't recall that it did.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:45pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:41pm) *

I don't recall the arbcom announcement stating that DG abused CU. I think they said he failed to live up to the level of decorum expected, or something along those lines. Of course it's all been censored now.

But just think about door that Godwin opened in demanding this oversight. By this standard, pretty much anyone with a RL identity connected to their account name who's ever been in a heated argument on wikipedia can go have wide swaths of history wiped from the project.

David demanded a full retraction and apology, or oversight, and he demanded it in a hurry because Cade Metz was sniffing around. Arbcom doesn't do "hurry" under the best of circumstances, and here there were significant disagreements about whether or not a retraction was even deserved, much less how to word it. So the comments were oversighted instead.
Rhindle
Perhaps if Arbcom said "we are dancing on the skull of DG for abuse of checkuser" instead of "not living up to the level of decorum" it wouldn't have been as libelous.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:52pm) *
David demanded a full retraction and apology, or oversight, and he demanded it in a hurry because Cade Metz was sniffing around. Arbcom doesn't do "hurry" under the best of circumstances, and here there were significant disagreements about whether or not a retraction was even deserved, much less how to word it. So the comments were oversighted instead.
Are you willing and able to confirm that the decision to oversight was ArbCom's, and was neither ordered nor coerced by Mike Godwin? That's my impression, but I think ArbCom may be doing itself a disservice by not coming right out and saying it.
Peter Damian
I don't follow the bit about Cade. Can someone explain?
CharlotteWebb

I think they said he failed to live up to the level of decorum expected, or something along those lines.

Beer, beer, beer, beer, and BEER. letsgetdrunk.gif

That is, for future reference it would be helpful if arbcom (or somebody) ever managed to figure out what level of decorum is "expected" exactly.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:56pm) *

I think they said he failed to live up to the level of decorum expected, or something along those lines.

That is, for future reference it would be helpful if arbcom (or somebody) ever managed to figure out what level of decorum is "expected" exactly.

like pornography - you know it when you see it? unsure.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:56pm) *

I've just opened a bottle of wine. It's not just, like, Gerard is over. It's that the whole Wiki is eating itself.

If only I had the literary powers of Victim of Censorship.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:58pm) *

like pornography - you know it when you see it? unsure.gif

Ah yes, the WP:POTTERSTEWART standard. hrmph.gif
MBisanz
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:55pm) *

Are you willing and able to confirm that the decision to oversight was ArbCom's, and was neither ordered nor coerced by Mike Godwin? That's my impression, but I think ArbCom may be doing itself a disservice by not coming right out and saying it.

Well I'm sure it can say it was not "ordered" to do so. Coercion is different from an order in that it is usually implicit and not explicit. Something like saying "I am not acting officially since I only act officially by signing X" and then immediately saying "I hope you do this thing, signed X" seems to be the implicit sort of hedging that makes coercion an unclear act.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 3:10pm) *

I think your definition of "public body" is way to wide. Otherwise the relief provided by administrative law would be available to boyscout troops and daycare centers (although maybe to a provider of head start services, which is something of a public benefit and has eligibility and appeal criteria.) Think public housing boards and licensing authorities, not Wikipedia.
MBisanz
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:01pm) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 3:10pm) *

I think your definition of "public body" is way to wide. Otherwise the relief provided by administrative law would be available to boyscout troops and daycare centers. Think public housing boards and licensing authorities, not Wikipedia.

Right, NY has a very wide definition of public body. Much wider than one would assume is logical.

Edit: Looking up an example (hopefully).
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:55pm) *

It was mutually agreed upon by Arbcom and David, as far as I can tell. Mike acted as a broker between Arbcom and David, who had been removed from the functionaries mailing list at that point.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 4:02pm) *

Right, NY has a very wide definition of public body.

It's called the Seventh Avenue Definition of a Public Body.

Jon tongue.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.