Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Gerard's misguided tweets...
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Gerard
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
trenton
You'd think a freak like Gerard would be a little more circumspect in labeling other people rolleyes.gif
MBisanz
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Sun 29th November 2009, 7:28pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Sun 29th November 2009, 4:46pm) *

Is this enough to set a precedent, given the history? It would be nice if ARBCOM would send a clear message that actions such as this are unacceptable and will result in revocation of rights.

Between Jayjg, Raul654 and David Gerard, I think a clear message has been sent.

If we want to look at it precedentially, Arbcom has respectively established the principles that:

1. You may not have higher-level userrights if your actions threaten to bring the project into extreme disrepute;
2. You may not use higher-level userrights in such a manner as to repeatedly inflict disproportionate collateral damage;
3. You may not use higher-level userrights in an offensive manner; they may only be used in defense of the project.
Somey
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 29th November 2009, 12:59pm) *
I'm with Miss Manners on this one: "All children are a gift from God." Simply put, it is impolite to inquire into or speculate about the origins of someone else's children.

I agree, and if he contacts us and asks us to delete it, we probably will. However, in order to avoid the dreaded "hypocrite" tag, before he does that he'll probably want to use his admin powers on Uncyclopedia to delete things like this.... ermm.gif
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 29th November 2009, 7:21pm) *

You'd think a freak like Gerard would be a little more circumspect in labeling other people rolleyes.gif

Self-awareness is not one of the Gerroid's strong suits.

Given this and his ego, I wonder if he will go begging for his supah powahs' return.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 29th November 2009, 7:26pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 29th November 2009, 12:59pm) *
I'm with Miss Manners on this one: "All children are a gift from God." Simply put, it is impolite to inquire into or speculate about the origins of someone else's children.

I agree, and if he contacts us and asks us to delete it, we probably will. However, in order to avoid the dreaded "hypocrite" tag, before he does that he'll probably want to use his admin powers on Uncyclopedia to delete things like this.... ermm.gif

Well, let's not get our collective panties in a bunch here. Obviously we are engaged in critical review of Gerard, his character and how it plays into the leadership of Wikipedia. Noting an oddity or two is par for the course, like having a harem or whatever it is. Especially since David himself has advertised this wide and far, with pictures included.
thekohser
Is Gerard on the Meta "Public Speakers" page? If so, could someone please make sure to note on his listing his "tools revoked by ArbCom" status? I hear that it's okay for unaffiliated editors to modify the listings of other public speakers.
MZMcBride
Looking at the current list of CheckUsers, it looks pretty clean to me at this point. Might be nice to remove one or two people for inactivity, but most the problematic old guard seems to have been removed.
Doc glasgow
So, does David Gerard join wikipedia review now?
trenton
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sun 29th November 2009, 1:34pm) *

Given this and his ego, I wonder if he will go begging for his supah powahs' return.

He's probably kissing Jimbeau's ass right now.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 29th November 2009, 8:38pm) *

I wonder if the arbcom listens to Jimbo any more.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 29th November 2009, 2:52pm) *
I wonder if the arbcom listens to Jimbo any more.
I would count it a positive development if they didn't.
Lar
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th November 2009, 4:17pm) *

Is Gerard on the Meta "Public Speakers" page? If so, could someone please make sure to note on his listing his "tools revoked by ArbCom" status? I hear that it's okay for unaffiliated editors to modify the listings of other public speakers.

I would think you'd know the answer to that question... you spent considerable effort to get the page cleaned up recently. But in any case he is not currently listed on that page.
Somey
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Sun 29th November 2009, 2:29pm) *

So, does David Gerard join wikipedia review now?

For a while we thought this might be him, and if it is then he's been a member for some time now... but I've since decided it probably isn't him. And if it isn't, then he's not likely to register here as long as I'm around. (Not that I would deny him an account or anything like that.)
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 29th November 2009, 8:38pm) *

Even Jimbozo must realize it would create a category 5.5 shitstorm if he gave DG back his toys. Besides, let's not forget his habit of abandoning allies like damaged goods once they cease to be useful to him.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 29th November 2009, 9:54pm) *

For a while we thought this might be him, and if it is then he's been a member for some time now... but I've since decided it probably isn't him. And if it isn't, then he's not likely to register here as long as I'm around. (Not that I would deny him an account or anything like that.)

That user doesn't compulsively say "Hoi" by it could just as easily be Gerard Meijssen (or some other Netherlander rather than Brit).

Eight posts is a small sample size but the grammatical errors I do see may support this theory.
thekohser
QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 29th November 2009, 4:08pm) *

I would think you'd know the answer to that question... you spent considerable effort to get the page cleaned up recently. But in any case he is not currently listed on that page.

Sorry, Lar. I really didn't remember, and I'm on vacation and didn't want to waste effort looking it up on my BlackBerry. Probably best not to add drama to that page. Has someone yet removed the "banned from English Wikipedia" from my listing, or will that be up to me when I return to Philly?
anthony
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 29th November 2009, 6:59pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:50am) *
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 29th November 2009, 12:13pm) *
We also shouldn't forget that Dave is a father now...
By his wife or his concubine?

It's not like it's a secret: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arkady_Rose
Nerd
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:24pm) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 29th November 2009, 4:08pm) *

Sorry, Lar. I really didn't remember, and I'm on vacation and didn't want to waste effort looking it up on my BlackBerry. Probably best not to add drama to that page. Has someone yet removed the "banned from English Wikipedia" from my listing, or will that be up to me when I return to Philly?

Your friend Guido has, yes.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(anthony @ Sun 29th November 2009, 7:10pm) *

I like this one better. Who is the other (non-girlfriend, none wife) vampire?
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:17am) *

I like this one better. Whose the other (non-girlfriend, none wife) vampire?

Dave's wife's girlfriend at the time, if I recall.
Nerd
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:24am) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:17am) *

I like this one better. Whose the other (non-girlfriend, none wife) vampire?

Dave's wife's girlfriend at the time, if I recall.

It's a bit complicated!
No one of consequence
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Sun 29th November 2009, 8:27pm) *

Looking at the current list of CheckUsers, it looks pretty clean to me at this point. Might be nice to remove one or two people for inactivity, but most the problematic old guard seems to have been removed.

One of Dominic's platform items in the Audit subcommittee election was removal of privileges for inactivity.
MBisanz
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 30th November 2009, 3:20am) *

One of Dominic's platform items in the Audit subcommittee election was removal of privileges for inactivity.

Looking at Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee/Audit_Subcommittee/Statistics#Checkuser_statistics_.28Monthly.29, I have a hard time understanding why James, Jimbo, and VOA retain the right.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Mon 30th November 2009, 2:29am) *

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 30th November 2009, 3:20am) *

Looking at Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee/Audit_Subcommittee/Statistics#Checkuser_statistics_.28Monthly.29, I have a hard time understanding why James, Jimbo, and VOA retain the right.

VOA is the developer who coded most of the CU interface. I don't know if he still works on the code at all, but that would obviously not show up in the log. There are a few people on that list, Stewards and other WMF office folk, who rarely use the tool, but who, realistically, are not going to have it removed by Arbcom for lack of activity. I suppose Jimbo fits in this category, heaven knows why.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:06am) *
I suppose Jimbo fits in this category, heaven knows why.
I thought Jimbo only gave himself that userright temporarily, to deal with something Bruce Edwards Ivins-related?
MBisanz
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 4:53am) *

I thought Jimbo only gave himself that userright temporarily, to deal with something Bruce Edwards Ivins-related?

I believe someone (MZMcBride iirc) asked him about it a few months ago and the answer was rather vague.
Cimorene
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sun 29th November 2009, 9:53pm) *

According to the user rights log, Jimbo gave himself the right in 2008 to "check some Grawp flood ip numbers" and has just failed to remove it.
Sarcasticidealist
Looks like I was correct, mostly - he gave it to himself for eight minutes on August 19, 2008, and then took it away for himself. But on November 17, 2008, he gave it back, with the summary "checking some grawp flood ip numbers". He hasn't removed it since.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 3:53am) *

I don't feel like arguing about whether it is appropriate for him to be able to add or remove this right from his own account at any time (without requiring approval from any other entity), but…

…as long as this is the case, I think it would be best to just leave it enabled so that observers know exactly how many people have access to this tool. You know, to avoid surprises.

I mean it's not really fair to the other checkusers, who cannot simply use this tool and then obscure the fact that they had access to it.
Cimorene
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 29th November 2009, 10:24pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 3:53am) *

I don't feel like arguing about whether it is appropriate for him to be able to add or remove this right from his own account at any time (without requiring approval from any other entity), but…

…as long as this is the case, I think it would be best to just leave it enabled so that observers know exactly how many people have access to this tool. You know, to avoid surprises.

I mean it's not really fair to the other checkusers, who cannot simply use this tool and then obscure the fact that they had access to it.

Yeah, I agree. Being able to grant yourself sensitive user rights at will, no matter who you are, isn't really fair. For transparencies sake, it's best that he keep it.
everyking
It's a pleasure to see the ArbCom do something right. It's hard to deny that there's been substantial progress this year. Personally, I'd say desysop him too, but still--progress is progress.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:34am) *
QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 29th November 2009, 7:21pm) *
Self-awareness is not one of the Gerroid's strong suits.

Guess you didn't check his talkpage, eh?

Please contact ArbCom

Hello David,

Please contact ArbCom via its mailing list (arbcom-l-at-lists.wikimedia.org) at your earliest convenience. — Coren (talk), for the Committee, 01:38, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

You realise of course this consists of me emailing and going "OK, what?" - David Gerard (talk) 11:17, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

Ah, this appears to be concerning me receiving a personal threat, posting it to my blog and the arbcom deciding it doesn't like this. I have been asked to resign functionaries-en or be pushed. The reasoning is unclear, and perhaps you should do this publicly - David Gerard (talk) 11:25, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

(This comes a few months after arbitrators telling me a few months ago I should resign or be pushed over this humour post, and several ex-arbs calling them "pompous idiots" for the suggestion. I said I'd like it done publicly, and nothing was heard of the notion again. The 2009 arbcom's thinking in these matters needs more transparency and public review.) - David Gerard (talk) 11:33, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

David, your response was unacceptable to this committee. Motion carried. John Vandenberg (chat) 12:49, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

To make things perfectly clear, the blog post you referred to was considered the last of a string of incidents and public posturing that the committee unanimously felt was incompatible with holding a position of high trust and access to private data. That we offered you the opportunity to explain or step down privately was borne entirely of a desire to avoid possible drama or embarrassment to you; but the motion having passed in no way prevents you from making a public appeal where you will be able to present a case in detail if you feel it warranted. — Coren (talk) 15:21, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

So the reason is a dislike of adult supervision, but the excuse is a specific allegation of actual malfeasance. You realise you can't vote the latter into existence, right? - David Gerard (talk) 15:36, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

You're in the wrong cabal. --Apoc2400 (talk) 17:19, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

I'd like to urge David to reflect on this experience and conduct himself in a more responsible and respectful manner in the future. Everyking (talk) 05:01, 30 November 2009 (UTC)

He's a massive dick, right to the bitter end. tongue.gif

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:26am) *
If we want to look at it precedentially, Arbcom has respectively established the principles that:

1. You may not have higher-level userrights if your actions threaten to bring the project into extreme disrepute;
2. You may not use higher-level userrights in such a manner as to repeatedly inflict disproportionate collateral damage;
3. You may not use higher-level userrights in an offensive manner; they may only be used in defense of the project.

That's nice.

While Arbcom are about it, why don't they pull SV's powers? She's definitely been "bringing the project into extreme disrepute", not to mention the collateral damage.
MBisanz
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 30th November 2009, 6:33am) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:26am) *

That's nice.

While Arbcom are about it, why don't they pull SV's powers? She's definitely been "bringing the project into extreme disrepute", not to mention the collateral damage.

There is a concept in US law that courts will not issue advisory opinions, but that they will only rule on actual cases and controversies. At the most simple interpretation, this is to ensure that the judges and juries have actual facts on which to base their decisions and aren't left trying to construct elaborate "what if" situations that may not actually happen. In each of the cases referenced above, there was a factual event that permitted Arbcom to examine and establish a principle. If there are actual events that you think SV has done that in some way violate policy or practice, then email arbcom, but I do not think it is wise to go around saying "I don't like how you generally behave, so you should be punished"; sanctions should be based on hard facts presented for rebuttal and review.
dtobias
He deleted my comments on his talk page.
Cla68
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 30th November 2009, 5:50am) *

He didn't delete Everyking's comment, however. I suspect if one simply typed the words "Wikipedia Review" on his talk page and hit enter he would delete it immediately.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:04am) *

He didn't delete Everyking's comment, however. I suspect if one simply typed the words "Wikipedia Review" on his talk page and hit enter he would delete it immediately.

Um, I think Everyking's comment was made in the middle of the night David's time, so I wouldn't expect an immediate response/removal.
EricBarbour
Going back to the original business, involving right-wing blogger Andrew Landeryou:

Gerard's history of disputes with him goes back at least 3 years.

I believe it originated with the Darren Ray/2006BC sockfests.
One of the articles they were fighting to "protect": Landeryou's BLP.
Cedric
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 29th November 2009, 11:46pm) *

There is a concept in US law that courts will not issue advisory opinions, but that they will only rule on actual cases and controversies. At the most simple interpretation, . . . blah, blah, blabitty, blah.

"Wikipedia doesn't do due process." --Lar

How many times do we have to remind you? Seriously.

Meanwhile, back in the States:
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:21am) *

Going back to the original business, involving right-wing blogger Andrew Landeryou:

Gerard's history of disputes with him goes back at least 3 years.

I believe it originated with the Darren Ray/2006BC sockfests.
One of the articles they were fighting to "protect": Landeryou's BLP.

"T'aint no feud like an old feud"
Lar
QUOTE(Cimorene @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:28am) *

Yeah, I agree. Being able to grant yourself sensitive user rights at will, no matter who you are, isn't really fair. For transparencies sake, it's best that he keep it.

Um? Any steward can do that. It's logged in a central place, but they can do it at will. Are you suggesting that all stewards should give themselves all rights on all wikis? I expect not so I must be confused by what you are suggesting.
dtobias
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 30th November 2009, 1:04am) *

Although, back in the days of the BADSITES Wars, he was one of the few well-connected, politically powerful insiders who actually took a stand on the mailing lists against banning links to so-called attack sites.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:17am) *
Although, back in the days of the BADSITES Wars, he was one of the few well-connected, politically powerful insiders who actually took a stand on the mailing lists against banning links to so-called attack sites.
While at the same time agitating behind the scenes to minimalize and sanction those who did so. Davy was against "BADSITES" because he felt that letting people post links to "attack sites" gave him valuable evidence to discover traitors to the cause, plus the whole process generated drama, which he, of course, loves.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:09pm) *

Um? Any steward can do that. It's logged in a central place, but they can do it at will. Are you suggesting that all stewards should give themselves all rights on all wikis? I expect not so I must be confused by what you are suggesting.

I know that, but I was under the impression that arbcom and the "community" expected "normal" stewards not to assign "advanced user-rights" to themselves or anyone else on enwiki unless the local arbcom locally appoints the local user in question to that local position, on a permanent and local basis.

Do you not remember how the "community" had a fit when DerHexer empowered himself with oversight in what he felt was a bona fide emergency (to redact what he mistook for Rlevse's personal info). Yet somehow it's okay when Jimbo does it, though I'd estimate that he's even further out of touch (with the English Wikipedia) than the Angry German Kid.

Sure, acting in good faith is always nice, but hardly worth what it takes to convince anyone of it. Plus half will never believe it anyway.
Lar
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 30th November 2009, 11:57am) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:09pm) *

I know that, but I was under the impression that arbcom and the "community" expected "normal" stewards not to assign "advanced user-rights" to themselves or anyone else on enwiki unless the local arbcom locally appoints the local user in question to that local position, on a permanent and local basis.

Do you not remember how the "community" had a fit when DerHexer empowered himself with oversight in what he felt was a bona fide emergency (to redact what he mistook for Rlevse's personal info). Yet somehow it's okay when Jimbo does it, though I'd estimate that he's even further out of touch (with the English Wikipedia) than the Angry German Kid.

Sure, acting in good faith is always nice, but hardly worth what it takes to convince anyone of it. Plus half will never believe it anyway.

Yes, arbcom expects that.
Yes, I remember the DerHexer oversight situation.

I was asking Cimorene a question. Sorry for any confusion there.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 30th November 2009, 4:31pm) *

I think Cimorene's point is that since Jimbo could re-grant himself CU at a moment's notice for any reason, or for no reason, asking him to resign CU for reason of inactivity does not really accomplish anything.
CharlotteWebb

Looks to me like Cimorene was basically agreeing with my position, which you either misunderstood or misrepresented in your reply.

So I figured I should at least clarify it (even if for no other reason than to make sure she still agrees with it). dry.gif
Cimorene
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 30th November 2009, 10:40am) *

Looks to me like Cimorene was basically agreeing with my position, which you either misunderstood or misrepresented in your reply.

So I figured I should at least clarify it (even if for no other reason than to make sure she still agrees with it). dry.gif

Yep. That's it. smile.gif Sorry for the confusion, Lar.

Edit: Typo
MBisanz
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 30th November 2009, 5:37pm) *

I think Cimorene's point is that since Jimbo could re-grant himself CU at a moment's notice for any reason, or for no reason, asking him to resign CU for reason of inactivity does not really accomplish anything.

I could block you for any reason or no reason at all, but policy prevents me from doing so. The global policy is rather explicit that it is only granted with Arbcom approval on wikis with Arbcoms. Why is something permissible if it violates policy?
Lar
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Mon 30th November 2009, 1:08pm) *

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 30th November 2009, 5:37pm) *

I could block you for any reason or no reason at all, but policy prevents me from doing so. The global policy is rather explicit that it is only granted with Arbcom approval on wikis with Arbcoms. Why is something permissible if it violates policy?

And that's my point, which I don't think Cimorene or Charlotte got.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 30th November 2009, 3:46pm) *
And that's my point, which I don't think Cimorene or Charlotte got.
Okay, but does policy prevent Jimmy from assigning himself userrights at will? Insofar as policy is a description of actual practice, it appears not.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:53pm) *
Okay, but does policy prevent Jimmy from assigning himself userrights at will? Insofar as policy is a description of actual practice, it appears not.
Jimmy believes that he is bound by policy only when he chooses to be. He believes that his role is that of constitutional monarch, but does not understand that a constitutional monarch is legally required to abide by the restrictions placed upon him by the parliamentary body to which he has irrevocably delegated governance. Jimmy's relationship to Wikipedia is much closer to that of an mostly absent absolute dictator. Jimmy just uses the constitutional monarch characterization because James Forrester (himself quite the little Royalist) is fond of it and has pushed it quite extensively upon Jimmy (and finding in the latter a very receptive audience).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.