Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inquiry Into Inquiry
> Wikimedia Discussion > Meta Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jon Awbrey
Full-Width Image
Elara
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 25th January 2013, 10:10am) *

Clever, but do these bits form a cohesive thought pattern (or perhaps, overlapping matrices of considered points) or are they momentary insights into the nature of thought and inquiry?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Elara @ Sun 27th January 2013, 2:14pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 25th January 2013, 10:10am) *

Clever, but do these bits form a cohesive thought pattern (or perhaps, overlapping matrices of considered points) or are they momentary insights into the nature of thought and inquiry?

Hi Elara, long time no see, just the stuff that's on my mind from day to day, FWIW, as they say.

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • Quotiens?

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • Oracles

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • A Meno Acid

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • A Determined Soul

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • The Present Is Big With The Future

Leibniz was right all along … the Universe is One Big Hologrammautomaton …

Jon Image
Detective
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 1st April 2013, 6:07pm) *

Jon Image

Isn't Google wonderful? I Googled "Hologrammautomaton" and got seven hits. all to you!
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Detective @ Tue 2nd April 2013, 12:33pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 1st April 2013, 6:07pm) *

Jon Image

Isn't Google wonderful? I Googled "Hologrammautomaton" and got seven hits. all to you!

Ha❢ I just made that up yesterday, and already it's a meme❢

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • What It Is

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • Absurdum Quid

Jon Image
The Joy
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 23rd April 2013, 9:06pm) *

Education is about encountering the absurd (or what we think is absurd) and trying to understand it. When I was studying to be a teacher, we were taught that people learn best when confronted with a contradiction and forced to reconcile what they thought to be true with the latest truth. But then, how can you separate an absurdity from a fact? Camus seems to be talking about philosophical "natural selection." Nature will eventually kill off absurdity and leave only truth?

I'm not sure if that is what Camus is going for, but that's what came to my mind.
Tarc
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 23rd April 2013, 9:59pm) *

Education is about encountering the absurd (or what we think is absurd) and trying to understand it. When I was studying to be a teacher, we were taught that people learn best when confronted with a contradiction and forced to reconcile what they thought to be true with the latest truth. But then, how can you separate an absurdity from a fact? Camus seems to be talking about philosophical "natural selection." Nature will eventually kill off absurdity and leave only truth?

I'm not sure if that is what Camus is going for, but that's what came to my mind.

You mean, someone actually reads these? jawdrop.gif

The Joy
QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 23rd April 2013, 10:35pm) *

You mean, someone actually reads these? jawdrop.gif

They usually go above my head, but occasionally, there's something I understand. Camus doesn't seem as deep as the others.
Jon Awbrey

Education is about encountering the absurd (or what we think is absurd) and trying to understand it. When I was studying to be a teacher, we were taught that people learn best when confronted with a contradiction and forced to reconcile what they thought to be true with the latest truth. But then, how can you separate an absurdity from a fact? Camus seems to be talking about philosophical "natural selection". Nature will eventually kill off absurdity and leave only truth?

One of my wife's favorite books on the philosophy of education is Maxine Greene's Teacher as Stranger.

The way Camus describes it, the absurd arises from a confrontation between the way the world is and the way we want it to be. The path he indicates is not a way of avoiding the absurd, but a way of acknowledging it and remaining aware of it.

Just what I get out of it, anyway …
Retrospect
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 24th April 2013, 3:35am) *

You mean, someone actually reads these?

Hell, yes! Why do you think Jon posts them here? Most of the editors here are mature, cultured people.
Tarc
QUOTE(Retrospect @ Wed 24th April 2013, 8:14am) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 24th April 2013, 3:35am) *

You mean, someone actually reads these?

Hell, yes! Why do you think Jon posts them here? Most of the editors here are mature, cultured people.

The users, such as they are, of this forum remaining are:
Me
You
JoJo
Ottava

The 2nd tier, occasional visitors;

Joy, Emperor;

The automatons;

Awbrey

Not exactly a big pool of culture to pick from, sport.
Mortimer
wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif
There are one or two of us who read the forum regularly but never post. I mean, what's the point of posting when all that happens is that you or Ottava reply?
Jon Awbrey
Inquiry Into Inquiry • Rock On

Jon Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.